Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145863 times)

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
Your post didn't make any sense. Please try again later.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
+3
Your post didn't make any sense. Please try again later.
I'm sure there is a Dark Souls forum out there.

Everything comes full circle

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
Mainstreamers don't realize Harmony of Despair is the ultimate Castlevania and deserves its own series, it has the perfect combination of classic, rondo and metroidvania gameplay design, plus with an all star cast of legendary playables, and 6 players co-op unlike anything else. 

Even now years later it's still played online.   ;D   IGA should make more games like Harmony of Despair instead of SOTN.

Harmony of Despair is the essence of pure Castlevania gaming.  stories just get in the way of the fun.   While stories do flesh out characters more, they do limit the structure of the gameplay and replay value, so the more story driven videogames are, the more likely they'll be shelved indefinitely than continued to be played.       

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
ffs Let Dark Souls be Dark Souls. Why does it always have to come down to "Castlevania should be more like Dark Souls."? Or do you want another uninspired Souls ripoff like that Lords of the Fallen, only with the Castlevania slapped name on it. How about we get a Castlevania clone with the Castlevania name slapped on it instead?

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
Guys guys! Fellas..

We have a new Castlevania game already. It's called Dark Souls 2! You see, all you have to do is find the whip weapon, upgrade it with fire damage (FLAME WHIP), get some throwing knives and witch flasks.

Here it is done in Dark Souls 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZmridPRic
yeahno.

unless bullshit difficulty and a whip are all that makes a cv game.

i still don't see what people see in the souls series that makes them praise it as the second coming of simon.
lords of the fallen
imo im liking lotf more than ds from what i see.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:42:13 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »
Or do you want another uninspired Souls ripoff like that Lords of the Fallen, only with the Castlevania slapped name on it.

Yes.

Because Dark Souls.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »
+1
IGA making new games similar to CV only means one thing. We'll get more CV games in the future. :)

hey IGA, if you're reading, get Yamane and Kojima back. Plzthx.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
I don't mind if IGA is gone or retired from doing CV. It's better this way I feel. Half of his games, though retaining that CV feel were not stellar successes. And the Man was making far more plot holes then he was able to fill. We need someone new to take the series in an acceptable direction for the fans whomever it may be. Someone who can bring CV back to it's core but make it new and exciting at the same time. someone who can tell a good story without using shoehorn tactics, and is able to keep things in line to make it all work out.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
I think he did what he could so that each game could have a different cast of characters and be more than just "This years Belmont". Which is why we have Jonathan and Charlotte, Shanoa, and Soma. I liked how he kept the Morris and Belnades families relevant and I liked the idea of Alucard being active under disguised identity rather then just being in some kind of mopey self imposed coffin based isolation.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
1. Richter was being controlled by shaft so his powers were not under his own control.

Where in the game is it implied that his powers were weakened because of the spell? Shaft's goal for Richter was to keep everybody away. Why would Shaft make him weaker? I know that Alucard never defeated Richter but it pisses me off that many people think he did. Ask any average person who played SotN and they are going to say that Alucard won, and If the spell made him weaker then state it in the game.
2. 3d vanias suck.
I wouldn't say that the games are terrible, just their stories.
3. refer to number 2
4.jonathan was of the belmont bloodline somehow
So? That shouldn't give him the ability to defeat the whip's memory of Richter. Somebody on here posted that the whip's memory of Richter was weaker than the real Richter. Where was this stated in the game?
5.julius subconsciously probably knew what he was doing was wrong and the whip failed him.
No way should a teenager with only a small fraction of Dracula's power at the time be able to beat the, according to Aria of Sorrow, strongest Belmont of all in a fight. I don't care if Julius didn't give it his all. Julius should have defeated Soma and then Soma should have questioned why Julius didn't kill him.
6.I know I hated that too. but once you know soma is a possible succesor to dracula I guess it's o.k.
7.so what some dark preists are assholes who want attention
That was just one of the many times that Dracula was prematurely resurrected. In fact, I'm having a difficult time thinking of one of Iga's games where he wasn't prematurely resurrected.
8.*coughs* ERIC LACARDE
John Morris was the one who defeated Dracula.
9.I want the 1999 battle too

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
IGA making new games similar to CV only means one thing.

Yeah. That he can't come up with an original idea of his own.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Yeah. That he can't come up with an original idea of his own.
Just stop.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »
http://kotaku.com/the-challenge-of-leaving-castlevania-and-konami-behin-1544855373?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

His interview with Kotaku. It's pretty fascinating. He really did leave for the fans. He apparently requested to be moved from Castlevania to social games. And apparently Operation Akumajo may have had an effect: he cites the constant messages on Facebook for him to make another Metroidvania as a reason for striking out on his own. And you were right, Flame- the failure of his 3D Castlevania games was way he was passed over for Lords.

Thanks for posting the link. You know what? As much as I hate what he did to the series, story line wise, he seems like a really nice guy.

Offline machetespeghetti

• Hunter in Training
  • Maria?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Die Thomas Belmont you don't belong in this world!
hmmmm ........... I wonder whats for dinner?

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »
Just stop.

Stop what? Out of all my posts, I made one smart ass reamrk. You may not like that I have an opposing opinion to yours, but at least I give my reasons, which many are valid, why.

Tags: