Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Quick reminder on watching videos on the 3DS  (Read 10994 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Quick reminder on watching videos on the 3DS
« on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
For those of you who have a 3DS but haven't learned how to watch videos on your 3DS, it is possible but very limited.

First off, you cannot watch streamed movies over the internet. That means no YouTube or Veoh. Nintendo to date has refused to allow Flash on the 3DS. However, if you find a YouTube video that you like and want to be able to watch whenever and where-ever on your 3DS, that is possible and quite easy. This goes for 3D videos on YouTube, too. (Same holds for making 3D pictures on your computer to pass off to your friends.)

To convert YouTube videos for use on a 3DS, you first need to download the videos using a file conversion site or the "Download YouTube Videos As MP4 and FLV" extension for Firefox. Save the file as an AVI or FLV. You can save as MP4 format or WMV, but this will take a little more work to use. You can use your own videos too, but keep in mind that videos on the 3DS must be less than 10 minutes long, just like a normal YouTube video.

Now you will need to download a little app called 3DS Video. Run the program and choose the video you want to watch for the Source File. Set the Destination Folder to something simple, like C:\ or the 3DS's memory card (you cannot use spaces in the path name). Next you need to specify what kind of video file you are trying to convert. If the video already has both images in it, choose the proper orientation (side-by-side or top-bottom). If the video isn't a 3D video, choose 2D. If you are trying to convert a 3DS video to share (dunno what this option actually does), pick the 3DS one. You'll probably want to make sure Keep Aspect Ratio is checked. Set the Audio Bitrate, since a default of 96kbs is probably lower than the source file. The max bitrate can be 320kbs, but if your source file only has a bitrate of 106kbs, there's no point in raising it. (You can find the bitrate by using MediaInfo.) Finally, click the Convert button.

If you converted a side-by-side video and the images are reversed, do it again with Mirror Input Video checked.

The converted video will be named VID_0001.AVI. You will need to change this for the 3DS to recognize it. Open the 3DS's memory card and find the folder DCIM\100NIN03. This is where video files and pictures are stored on the 3DS's memory card. (Sound files are stored in the Nintendo 3DS\Private\00020500\voice folder, but you should put music in the DCIM folder.) If you have taken any pictures or recorded any movies on the 3DS, you will see files called HNI_00XX.yyy, where XX is a number and yyy is the file extension. The 3DS itself makes three extensions: JPG, MPO, and AVI. JPG is a preview of a 3DS image (or the image itself if using the inner lens). MPO stores the stereo image information. AVI is movies. Find the highest value for XX and rename VID_0001.AVI one higher. So for example, if you have three files in your 3DS - HNI_0001.JPG, HNI_0001.MPO, and HNI_0002.AVI, you would rename VID_0001.AVI to HNI_0003.AVI. If you haven't done so already, drag-and-drop the new video file into the 100NIN03 folder and you're set!

As I said, if you have an MP4 or WMV, you will have to perform an extra step. Due to a bug in 3DS Video, MP4 files don't get converted correctly. So first you need to convert the MP4 to an AVI yourself. Open up the RUN function (press the Windows logo key and R, or press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select "Run..." from the File menu) and type cmd to load up the DOS interface. Set the directory to wherever 3DS Video is (type cd PATH where PATH is the full directory, such as C:\Documents and Setting\Local User\My Documents\Downloads\3DS Video v1.0) and then type ffmpeg.exe -y -i inputfile.mp4 -r 30 -b:v 6000k outputfile.avi, replacing "inputfile.wmv" with the MP4 or WMV you want to convert, and replace "outputfile.avi" with whatever you want to call the converted file. Note: this is not a 3DS compatible AVI, but 3DS Video will be able to convert it into one.

If you want to make your own 3DS compatible still-frame pictures, the process is a little simpler. Simply download the program Stereo Photo Maker. Run it. If the picture you want to convert for 3DS viewing already has both images in it, select Open Stereo Image, otherwise select Open Left/Right Images. If you have to pick the images separately, try to put _l and _r at the end of the file names, then hold CTRL while clicking on the files. Make any adjustments you may need and then under the File menu select Save MPO. The same naming rule applies here as it did with video files - HNI_XXXX.MPO, where XXXX is an unused number. Save the file to the 100NIN03 folder on the 3DS's card and you're set.

I've tested each of these. Lots of forum reading. Some people don't have the stubbornness to keep reading. Lucky for you guys, I didn't give up. And right now Inccubus is probably wishing I'd say the same thing about my program instead of playing Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Edit: I'll upload proof this works when I get home next year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:03:02 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Quick reminder on watching videos on the 3DS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:08:23 AM »
First off, you cannot watch streamed movies over the internet.

There is Netflix, though. B)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Only if you have Wi-Fi access. And isn't that streamed, anyway? You can't download and save the movies for offline viewing, can you?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
You can't save 'em, no—but you said streamed, and I gave an example of something that is streamed. B) And you can't save YouTube vids either without an outside tool.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
Yeah, but the point is at least you can save YouTube vids.

And with NetFlix the streaming is kinda limited - you only get to stream what NetFlix offers. You don't get music videos, CollegeHumor, or flash videos. And anyway, you have to subscribe to NetFlix to actually get the movies/shows, so that's a bum deal anyway unless you're sitting at an airport for 3 hours bored.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
Ok, I was going to upload a video for you guys to check out, but it's over 200 megs and I don't feel like upping that now. So instead, you'll have to settle for an MPO file. I won't tell you what it is, but I made it myself. It has a couple flaws in it I don't like, but for the most part I'm proud of it (spent a couple hours working on it and it could have turned out worse).

http://www.mediafire.com/?henxt52kh45fuoj

Don't worry, it's safe for kids. It's a 3Dification of an NES game. I would have spent more time on it, but I have a short attention span.

Tags: