Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I downloaded the 3DS version of Castlevania III today  (Read 14151 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
I downloaded the 3DS version of Castlevania III today
« on: October 05, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »
First time playing.  To refresh your memory, this was my reaction to playing through Castlevania 1 last year: http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,5368.msg132441.html#msg132441

Should I hold on to my butts?

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Re: I downloaded the 3DS version of Castlevania III today
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »
So apparently I'm the only person here who has ever played Castlevania III.

That's odd.  I thought this was a website specifically devoted to Castlevania games where everyone talks about how great the original series was.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
So apparently I'm the only person here who has ever played Castlevania III.

That's odd.  I thought this was a website specifically devoted to Castlevania games where everyone talks about how great the original series was.

I think everyone's just been unusually busy. I know I have been. But yeah Castlevania 3 is a lot harder than 1. It's also a much more epic, overall better game. But man is it hard. Like with Castlevania 1 you need to play through some stages until you can almost close your eyes and get through them on muscle-memory alone before you pass.

But the password system takes a lot of the pressure off, if you feel yourself start to get frustrated you can go and do something else. Unlike the first one which you're supposed to beat in one sitting. The 3 different characters mix up the gameplay and also determine how long and difficult your playthrough will be. I've beaten all the stages, and they're all amazingly well designed. But I've only ever beaten the final two with Sypha. Though I never used her at all on the final stage/Dracula.   

All in all the definition of a video game masterpiece. And it's super fun if you're up for a good challenge.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:02:40 PM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »
I downloaded this for my 2DS a while ago. Plays just like it's NES counterpart. I haven't noticed any real difference aside from the tiny screen. But that's a portable system for you.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:43:48 AM »
Why would you own a 2DS if you're above the age of 7?

It's unwieldy and easily scratched in literally every way the 3DS isn't.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »
Either it's a typo or he lends the 2ds to a kid.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
Owls attack you in this game in annoying arc patterns.

Oh man I totally called this when I wrote http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,7487.0.html

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »
Why would you own a 2DS if you're above the age of 7?

I purchased a 2DS on the basis that it's more solidly built. Besides I don't want to us up the memory of my 3DS with a last, last gen library. For me, my 2DS is my classic genre handheld. I can put in all my favorite classic titles on there as well as any newer ones like Shovel Knight and Shantae. I us my 3DS strictly for my 3DS-based games. That and It's having internet issues. And of course age has nothing to do with choice my friend  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:35:25 AM »
I agree on the internet issues of the 3ds. I can't access the store since forever. /grrr

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 01:26:50 AM »
Castlevania 3 is hard as hell (it has been a while, but I can't remember ever beating the Doppelganger without doing the pause/unpause trick), but once you hear that badass jingle from beating Dracula, you're on top of the world.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 02:46:11 AM »
Castlevania 3 is hard as hell (it has been a while, but I can't remember ever beating the Doppelganger without doing the pause/unpause trick), but once you hear that badass jingle from beating Dracula, you're on top of the world.

What I did was get the doppleganger trapped below by jumping on the upper right hand ledge, then spamming Sypha's homing attack until it died. Hence my never beating that stage (and consequently the final level and Dracula) with any other partner lol.

Dracula was actually easier in a lot of ways. Beating Dracula is all about 1. Standing as far back as possible while you whip his first form so you can have room to move out of the way when the flames start to pop up. You really just have to practice dodging the flames for a while to get a feel for it. 2. Getting a feel for how to run under/avoid the dripping slime from his second form while getting in hits with your whip and axe as quickly as you can. If you save up a lot of axes, which you should be able to in the US version (since you re-spawn at the mid-point of the level instead of at the foot of Dracula's tower when you die/start of level after game over) you can basically just stand in the corner and wail on him with axes in his final form until he dies.

At least that's my strategy. Once saw a speedrunner beat Drac in seconds with Sypha's flame (equivalent to a dagger) of all things. But I'm nowhere near that level and don't expect I ever will be.

Also - USE THE AXE TO GRAB THE EXTRA LIFE in the final level. That will save you so much frustration when you have to take off half your lifebar walking through an enemy to get to the door immediately afterward so you don't die on the collapsing floor.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:06:22 AM by Ratty »

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 06:19:40 AM »
Guys, I've been taking all of the lower routes not really knowing what it would accomplish and now Alucard wants to join my little LARPing group.

What should I do?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Take him if you plan to continue going through the lower routs. His bat transformation will help you get through some of the tough spots. Or if you're feeling gutsy leave him behind and try finishing the game as Trevor.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »
I could probably beat the entire game as Trevor at this point.

The good news:  I got this far without losing a single life.

The bad news:  Save states.  Lots and lots of save states.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »
I could probably beat the entire game as Trevor at this point.

The good news:  I got this far without losing a single life.

The bad news:  Save states.  Lots and lots of save states.

I beat it on a physical cart so I never had that temptation. I did leave it for months at a time before I beat it though.

Tags:

anything