Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Akumajo Dracula Game: Grimoire of Souls (Story Mode Ended)  (Read 92498 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: New Akumajo Dracula Game: Grimoire of Souls (iOS Beta Test)
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Quote from: Jorge D. Fuentes
I'm gonna chime in real quick:

The reason for the lack of a section for the later games isn't because they don't deserve their sections.
Personal opinion aside, the actual reason is because I couldn't find the time to update the sections without breaking some part of the site, haha.

Now that Castlevania is back (sort of?) maybe I should go about remastering the site again?

btw, thanks for the Combat Cross necklace you sent me  ;)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 07:35:58 PM »
I wish for a new 2D Castlevania game by Konami with Kojima artwork.

I have to stop using this thing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:38:29 PM by Kingshango »

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
Hmm, when I first saw this, my first thought was to stab it with an oak stake...

Kidding aside, I'm just meh about it.  Might loosely follow it out of curiosity, but this just makes me want to catch up with Bloodstained right now.  Oh boy, do I have to catch up with Bloodstained.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »
One thing that has got me a bit excited is that its causing me to start taking Harmony of Despair's story seriously a bit.

I have to assume that the Grimoire mentioned in this game is the same one that appeared in Harmony of Despair.  That game didn't have a whole lot of story. 

Here's what appears in the "How to Play" of that game:
Your ultimate goal in this game is to destroy Castlevania, a ghoulish citadel which has manifested itself within the pages of the cursed Grimoire.  Within each chapter lies a twisted reimagining of one of the castle's prior incarnations, guarded by a boss symbolizing that particular area.  Defeat the boss and open the chest that appears to unlock a new chapter.  Completed chapters can be revisted at any time.

Here's the entry for "The Grimoire" in the game:
A cursed book within which lies the sum of all Castlevania's history --as well as an incarnation of the castle itself.
 Fortunately, the forces of good which have time and again been the castle's undoing are also recorded within these pages.
 Borrow their power and forever erase Castlevania from this unholy tome.

A pretty self explanatory premise, but its context within the greater Castlevania timeline is only up to speculation.  One could easily write it off as non-canon and not important to the overall story, but this new game is inserting into a story that takes place outside of the book itself. 

I have to wonder, who created this book?  Who writes to it?  Does it write itself?  How did the castle manage to manifest itself into the book?  Was this a one time thing, or is it something that always happens before the castle appears and we just never knew it?  Are the protagonists in the book merely avatars for some other protagonist (the "reader"/player) who is trying to destroy castle that dwells within the book?  Did the heroic characters within the book decide to fight Castlevania on their own without some kind of "reader" guiding their actions?  Since the title of the new game is "Grimiore of Souls", are the souls of the characters who appear in the book somehow linked to the book? 

And the story of this new game:
A future where Count Dracula has been completely destroyed. It seemed like eternal peace came upon the world.

However, a single letter delivered to Genya Arikado tried to put an end to that peaceful era.

In order to verify the meaning of the words written in the letter—“The Grimoire has run wild and Count Dracula will be resurrected”—Genya Arikado heads off towards the letter’s sender…

How are the events of HD and this game connected?  Did defeating Castlevania within the book somehow trigger something that would allow Dracula to resurrect?  Does "The Gruimoire has run wild" refer directly to the events of HD?  Did the characters in the book actually succeed in destroying the manifestation of the castle?  Or does this game take long after HD, and represents another chance after it was defeated the first time?  I'm guessing that the second game takes place long after Dawn of Sorrow - otherwise they could have probably just used Yoko if they needed a female researcher haha.  Long enough that Yoko is retired but Genya is still employed?   Could HD possibly be canon, and if not, is it at least canon to this new story? 

The description for Lucy says that she is letting Arikado and "company" stay at her laboratory.  I can only assume "company" means the other playable characters.  Did they "leap" out of the book into the real world?  Does Alucard "leap into" the book and meet them there?   Do they fight "inside" the book or do the contents of the book manifest in the real world and force them to fight out in the real world? 

Ah well, fun things to contemplate.  To get psyched up for it, I'm dusting off Harmony of Despair a little.  I'm going to try to beat the first five levels with a different character who appears in Grimiore of Souls.  I'm going to assume Soma will get added to the game later possibly as DLC since his picture appears in the artwork, so I'll play as him last.  Putting HD into its context gives me a reason to play it again.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:53:14 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »
OK so, here is PlotTwist's analysis machine about this game. Everything you're about to read is speculation and therefore should be taken with a grain of salt. I'll simply throw it all on the table haphazardly because I'm too tired to organize my thoughts even if I still want to share. Here it goes:

(click to show/hide)

Information on Contra: Return provided by DigitalWarrior. Thank you, man!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:43:01 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »
Good observation plot.
Microtransactions based with timers.... yikes.

I really think if they want to sell it to the world, at least add android, so that they can brag on the number of downloads, even if a lot of folks will uninstall after a few missions. lol

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 10:51:46 PM »
So much nickel and diming...:sob:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »
EA got into some serious trouble due to their Battlefront title having micro transactions. If anything Konami should be learning from this and not repeat the same mistake. But you know how gambling companies are...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline yamabigdog

• Uber Pwnerer
  • Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible night to have a curse...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 12:24:40 AM »
Wow, happy day!!!

New CastleVania from Konami is super awesome.

Hopefully it will be ported off IOS, so the rest of us can play.
Been here since the 1st NES CastleVania.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »
hey guys affinity really likes HD just in case you forgot  :P

Lmfao... I'm more hyped about this comment than the game
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 03:24:48 AM »
OK so, here is PlotTwist's analysis machine about this game. Everything you're about to read is speculation and therefore should be taken with a grain of salt. I'll simply throw it all on the table haphazardly because I'm too tired to organize my thoughts even if I still want to share. Here it goes:

(click to show/hide)

That... seems like a pretty outdated model to me. I mean, gacha games seem to be all the rage these days with the popularity of titles like Fate/Grand Order and Granblue Fantasy. I shudder to think about how Konami would implement gacha elements, but not trying to cash in on that seems pretty stupid from a business standpoint.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 04:16:05 AM »
+1
btw, thanks for the Combat Cross necklace you sent me  ;)
You're welcome! Thank you for your patronage.
There's a Castlevania Netflix Belmont Medal on sale now.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 06:50:32 AM »
And I was thinking that you cant play with Soma because now he is Dracula :v

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 07:14:16 AM »

That... seems like a pretty outdated model to me. I mean, gacha games seem to be all the rage these days with the popularity of titles like Fate/Grand Order and Granblue Fantasy. I shudder to think about how Konami would implement gacha elements, but not trying to cash in on that seems pretty stupid from a business standpoint.

The game's page says you can "strengthen your favorite character". Castlevania has an infinitude of items and equipment to collect, souls, glyphs... I can see where these "gacha" elements would be implemented (They are present in Contra: Return also, btw, and you can even unlock characters using it), but I saw no evidence for those, so I can't comment on that.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 07:30:23 AM »
and to think iga could be working on this if he just held out a little longer...

Tags:

anything