Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania : The Complete Choronicles ????  (Read 114653 times)

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania : The Complete Choronicles ????
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2011, 04:18:11 AM »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
*breathes* AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

yeah, the game companies don't owe thier costumers anything, that's by far, the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

No Customers = No Money, No Money = Bye Bye.

Don't Act like they'll be giants no matter what, because when it comes to the nitty gritty, the consumers are Paying them.
Piss off the consumers enough and you'll be in trouble.

Sure HD was Lazy, but it was a new concept for the franchise, I don't think it was even intended to sell well.

but its not laziness when it comes to capcom, its Scamming, flatout lying to your face, I don't see why you're gonna defend Corporate thieves.

Unfortunately everything I've said is true.  I don't mean to say it's right, it's just the way it is.  Game companies look at profits, above all, to determine their next steps.  I suppose I should have phrased it different, it's not that they owe their customers anything, their decisions are based on whatever game sells the most copies.  This is more or less the idea behind all business, especially in the Japanese corporate world.  When an idea sells, they will continue to replicate it until it is no longer profitable.  Whether there is still demand and a dedicated fanbase, does not matter.  If the numbers do not add up, the company will discontinue a series.  It is in this way I mean they don't owe the customer anything.

Not intended to sell well?  Wow.  Seriously?  Why would any game company release a game with the intention of it not selling well?  Doesn't make any sense.  With HoD they were grasping at the DS crowd that was still around.  Not huge numbers, but that's why the development was so cheap and nearly 100% of the assets were reused.  It's better than nothing.  I suppose we should be happy we got LoS, but this is a good example of what I mean.  The dedicated hardcore fanbase is split between old school platformer Castlevania and the newer age RPG Metroidvanias.  LoS is neither.  It merely seeks to emulate what is popular in the west, where Castlevania sells more copies anyway.  It's not what the fanbase wanted.  Konami is instead looking at cold hard numbers.  So sorry to burst your bubble, but them "owing" their customers anything, is the farthest thing in their minds.  Another way to think about it, games are a luxury.  You don't have to buy ANY game, and that will send a strong message.  Just like WE don't owe game companies anything, it is the same for them.

And to clear things up, I am not defending them.  Notice how I mentioned in my previous post that the current state of affairs is somewhat of a malady, and I don't like it anymore than the next person.  But it's just the way it is, whether we, as fans, like it or not.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2011, 04:24:11 AM »
Unfortunately everything I've said is true.  I don't mean to say it's right, it's just the way it is.  Game companies look at profits, above all, to determine their next steps.  I suppose I should have phrased it different, it's not that they owe their customers anything, their decisions are based on whatever game sells the most copies.  This is more or less the idea behind all business, especially in the Japanese corporate world.  When an idea sells, they will continue to replicate it until it is no longer profitable.  Whether there is still demand and a dedicated fanbase, does not matter.  If the numbers do not add up, the company will discontinue a series.  It is in this way I mean they don't owe the customer anything.

Not intended to sell well?  Wow.  Seriously?  Why would any game company release a game with the intention of it not selling well?  Doesn't make any sense.  With HoD they were grasping at the DS crowd that was still around.  Not huge numbers, but that's why the development was so cheap and nearly 100% of the assets were reused.  It's better than nothing.  I suppose we should be happy we got LoS, but this is a good example of what I mean.  The dedicated hardcore fanbase is split between old school platformer Castlevania and the newer age RPG Metroidvanias.  LoS is neither.  It merely seeks to emulate what is popular in the west, where Castlevania sells more copies anyway.  It's not what the fanbase wanted.  Konami is instead looking at cold hard numbers.  So sorry to burst your bubble, but them "owing" their customers anything, is the farthest thing in their minds.  Another way to think about it, games are a luxury.  You don't have to buy ANY game, and that will send a strong message.  Just like WE don't owe game companies anything, it is the same for them.

And to clear things up, I am not defending them.  Notice how I mentioned in my previous post that the current state of affairs is somewhat of a malady, and I don't like it anymore than the next person.  But it's just the way it is, whether we, as fans, like it or not.

that's cool, I do recall a American/Japanese Developer Stating that Japanese Companies lack social Skills.
If the numbers is all that count, we'll just use our ability to help those numbers...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2011, 04:41:40 AM »
Which is fine and all, but my initial concerns were whether Castlevania has enough appeal to draw those kinds of numbers.  I'm not convinced.  It doesn't strike me as a series that will sell beyond it's hardcore dedicated fanbase.  Which is sad.  At the same time, I feel the series is at a crossroads, as far as it's identity is concerned.  Is it an action sidescroller?  Action sidescroller with RPG and collection elements?  A 3D action series?  You know?  Is it all of them at the same time?  It just seems like a series that lacks focus.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »
Capcom's error was in using the devroom's numbers to determine the number of units they would sell. the devroom which when it opened- explicitly stated fans DID NOT HAVE TO JOIN, BUT COULD INSTEAD HANG BACK AND JUST WATCH. the Devroom was optional. you didnt need to join to follow the project.

It was a stupid way to judge.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2011, 07:36:56 AM »
that's cool, I do recall a American/Japanese Developer Stating that Japanese Companies lack social Skills.
If the numbers is all that count, we'll just use our ability to help those numbers...

Not me, boy-o. :o For years I've been wondering why I still bother buying new Castlevania games when they entertain me less and less. I have zero interest in Lords of Shadow so it won't be seeing my dough (I've been borrowing it from a friend for several months and STILL haven't touched it), and I already feel ridiculously crappy for having shelled out money for Harmony of Despair (which is a problem with download-only games—I can't resell them). If Konami keeps pushing out the crap, I'm not gonna swallow it anymore. The next game, whatever that may—Castlevania: Adagio of Restlessness or whatever—will likely be just the same tripe we've been fed for a decade, and thus offer up nothing new or interesting. If that's all Castlevania is about—uninspired level designs, recycled sprites, nothing innovative—it can die for all I care.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:49 AM »
Didn't think this was new thread worthy since little to no info is known about it, but Konami will be holding a press conference tomorrow. Some believe it's related to a new Love Plus or Little King's Story, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/24/konami_conference/

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »

Castlevania was a Megaton Giant back in the day, declaring it was never a big seller is a HUGE understatement.

You keep saying that, and I simply disagree. I wanna see some actual figures here cause all I'm seeing is that the NES Castlevania was less profitable than Metal Gear, Gradius and even Contra.  And then I'm only talking about Konami. Simon's Quest and Dracula's Curse are nowhere to be found on the lists I've seen. I need to take a look at SNES sales to know more about Super Castlevania IV though, but I'll be very surprised if I find it in the top 50 or even top 100.

But this is retarded. You can call old school Castlevania a "MEGATON GIANT!" and I'll call it a classic that should've done much better. Captain N only proves that there weren't that many video game heroes back in the day. Maybe Konami even wanted Simon to be in for marketung purposes, not because Simon was THAT friggin popular.

But anyway. Lots of things I say here are probably flawed, but so is everyone elses.

Now, where were we? Oh yes, Castlevania Complete Chronicles..

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
You keep saying that, and I simply disagree.
You could kepp saying that and you still will be wrong.
CastleVania was big back in the NES day. Simon Belmont was one of the NES faces basically. That's counts for something. Not "numbers" and "numbers".

And Capcom one day will blow up because of they greediness and readyness to use bastard schemes to fill they pockets.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:19 AM »
You could kepp saying that and you still will be wrong.

Has it really come to that? "You are wrong". LOL.

And no, I'm not wrong. Calling old school Castlevania a megaton giant is ridiculous. But seriously, I am the minority here so I'll just rest my case. Have it your way :)

Anyway, is there a Konami press conference today?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »
Sumac is obviously a robot. Don't worry, shelvy.

Konami press conferences don't reveal anything anymore.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2011, 08:32:55 AM »
I don't think it's fair to say that CV was a megaton giant.  I was big into video games in the NES era, and all my friends were, too.  Several of them had CV1 and one rented CV2.  We were all aware of the series, but CV wasn't anywhere as big as Mario, and eventually Sonic.

You have to remember that gaming was absolutely different back then.  Today, gaming is recognized as a mainstream pasttime and a powerful form of media.  But in the late 80's, gaming was something that young kids did.  Most adults saw it as a fad; just the latest toy.  Sure, they knew who Mario was, just like we know who the Teletubbies were and Dora the CrackWhora, but nobody with a wallet cared about the medium beyond wondering what their kid wanted for Christmas.  So there were the big names (Mario), and a handful of smaller ones like Contra, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania.  Those smaller names were popular as games, but only because there was about 1% as many games available then as there are now, and those titles were the good ones.  They didn't have any sort of brand power whatsoever, and they sure as hell weren't "megaton giants."

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »
Has it really come to that? "You are wrong". LOL.
You couldn't accept obvious arguments. So you're wrong. LOL.

Sumac is obviously a robot. Don't worry, shelvy.
Crisis is obviously an old zombie. Don't worry anyone.  :rollseyes:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:28:55 PM by Sumac »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
Numbers... pfft. Numbers dont mean jack when 3 kids form 3 different house came to my house to play video games... cause that's how 90's kids role.
Today Sales are blown up because Game Consoles are too 1 person orientated, and every kid pretty much has a console now, which sucks because it's seriously hurting child social development.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
You couldn't accept obvious arguments. So you're wrong. LOL.

"Obvious arguments"? Are you serious? There were none. All I see is basically "Castlevania was a megaton giant because we think so". You completely ignore the fact that the games didn't sell nearly as much as the real giants back in the day. And then some of you say sales don't count. Right. If so I don't know what does. Btw, I am so over this conversation now. END.

EDIT: Kamui, it seems strange that all the other giants sold quite well, but Castlevania didn't. At least not as much. Maybe everyone borrowed everyone elses copies of Castlevania all the time. Yeah, that must be it. They bought Mario, Zelda, Mega Man and so on, but they secretly thought Castlevania was just as huge, in fact so huge that they didn't buy it.

EDIT 2: I almost wish Jorge would give me a warning so I could stop this nonsense. Heck, I'll give myself a warning instead: SHELVERTON YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Ok, I'll stop now :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:08:23 PM by shelverton. »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »
"Obvious arguments"? Are you serious? There were none. All I see is basically "Castlevania was a megaton giant because we think so". You completely ignore the fact that the games didn't sell nearly as much as the real giants back in the day. And then some of you say sales don't count. Right. If so I don't know what does. Btw, I am so over this conversation now. END.
Yeah, you over with this conversation. Because you can not absolutely prove that you're right, right?

When I say that Castlevania was great, I mean strictly small period of time 87-91.
I should remind to you, that unlike Mario, MegaMan, Zelda  there were not that much Castlevania games on one single console. The series was spreed all over the place. So that's no wonder that CV somewhat fell into obscurity after SCV4. It didn't have enough presence on  popular consoles. The same situation practically repeated, when after SOTN each new game was released on the portable GBA. While popular in it's own right, it's hard to compete for the players attention with the games for the "big" consoles.

Tags:

anything