Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 192103 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #735 on: November 06, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »
iirc, even CV1 conan the Belmont has a sword hilt at his side on the cover.

The whip thing I dont know why people make a big deal out of.

It was clearly meant to be a nod to the fact that the leather whip becomes a chain whip in the games when you upgrade it. And I feel they went about it ok. Trevor's leather whip is clearly holy, but it's probably not that special. The chain whip is the big deal the Belmonts handed down the generations. And it was lost to the hold until Trevor rediscovered it, and then he switched to it. It also reminded me a bit of the LoS chain whip, and reminded me of a really cool tidbit from that I liked, which was how the chain links were quenched in holy water while they were forged.

Not calling it "vampire killer" is fine. I always liked the angle that LoS took, where the moniker was a name given by townsfolk who saw how effective it was on vampires.

Also, calling it Morning Star has obvious religious implications which are kind of strange, given "morning star" is a title often used as a translation for Lucifer, but I figure "sounds holy and cool" so they went with that.

I have to agree on Lisa's obvious atheism being a bit cringeworthy. Although I can swallow the "it has nothing to do with any God". it's a simple but effective misstep. shes not wrong, it doesnt. it's just science. but the Bishop, looking for any reason to confirm the suspicions of her being a witch, immediately grabs on to that.

The "he's actually real" part is the big fedora tip we didn't need.

then again, as with season 1, i have to remind people, this IS Netflix. It probably wouldnt have gotten approved if there wasn't SOME sort of culturally subversive element in it. religion is just the low hanging fruit easy target considering the time period. Be thankful it wasnt worse.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: November 06, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
They obviously favored the whip over the sword.   That is a non issue.  Belmonts have been depicted with swords since the Classicvania days.
Also, calling it Morning Star has obvious religious implications which are kind of strange, given "morning star" is a title often used as a translation for Lucifer, but I figure "sounds holy and cool" so they went with that.

But only as a back up weapon not there main one, that why it many fans found Simon using a sword HC odd. and my point was I hope that his sword doesn't become his main weapon

Jesus is also known as the Moring star, Revelation 22:16
I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things I for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:41:05 PM by Guy Belmont »
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:28 AM »
Morning Star has been used to describe Jesus, John The Baptist, the Virgin Mary, the king of Babylon, Phosphorous, Zorya Utrennyaya, and the planet Venus and the star Sirius. Basically it means "brightest celestial figure before the dawn", so it's a fitting name for an upgraded whip used to slay evil because slaying evil with the morning star is bringing light to the end of the dark. Although if we want to get into how it was more of a flail than a morning star........
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #738 on: November 07, 2018, 02:23:41 AM »
+1
I honestly think there’s a much simpler reason why it’s the Morningstar whip.  Morningstars are a type of club weapon with a spiked ball on the end of a shaft.  The end of this whip kind of resembles a morningstar, but it’s a whip, so you can see why it’s called that.  It’s nothing to do with religion most likely, and you’re overthinking things.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #739 on: November 07, 2018, 03:42:56 AM »
The end of this whip kind of resembles a morningstar,

it's actually more just a straight-up flanged mace head(although hollow-framed for some reason which would completely kill the momentum's weight, but it's magic oneshot so no trouble there)

the reason is most likely "the original series has a bunch of instances of calling the highest powerup for the whip a morningstar where the term is incorrect, there's a precedent, so let's just call it that too as a referential callback"

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: November 07, 2018, 04:55:35 AM »
Cheers D9. ;D

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #741 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »
Another Adi interview.  It’ll be interesting to see how season 3 builds on season 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/castlevanias-netflix-showrunner-on-humanizing-villains-1830283324/amp

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #742 on: November 07, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
That final confrontation in episode seven, and the aftermath of it, which Adi speaks about, I got completely.  It was instantly my favourite scene in season two because we saw that human emotion, that conflict, and terror in Alucard’s eyes.  While he’s determined to defeat his father, he’s scared, and still clearly loves his father on some level.  The breakdown in the final scene was grief I feel he would have experienced even in the games, but don’t see on screen.  Later on he has all of the centuries to become cool and stoic and noble... Now though he’s a scared young man, barely an adult, and you see that.  It was a scene which on some levels I’d needed to see.

His comments about Grant seem like potential teaser material, but whether we see Grant on screen or not, I’m doubting it tbh, although the bit some have thought about in episode 8....

The mentioning of Soma makes me very happy, as the Sorrow gang are another wonderful part of the history and some of my favourite games.  I’ve been hoping since this was announced that Soma and co might get adapted.

As for this being the Castlevania acinematic AU, yeah, that’s how I’ve been rolling with things all along.   Alucard throwing the comment I was considering going to sleep again in Gresit felt like a nod to the games in a beautiful way while doing its own thing, building its own lore.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #743 on: November 08, 2018, 02:03:21 AM »
I'm also happy with the Soma mention. :)
After SOTN, I want the Sorrow arc to be animated.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #744 on: November 08, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Not sure if I need spoilers for discussing a fan theory about Grant, but since it involves the end of the season, I will just in case.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: November 08, 2018, 09:41:13 PM »
I honestly think there’s a much simpler reason why it’s the Morningstar whip.  Morningstars are a type of club weapon with a spiked ball on the end of a shaft.  The end of this whip kind of resembles a morningstar, but it’s a whip, so you can see why it’s called that.  It’s nothing to do with religion most likely, and you’re overthinking things.
Its a Game about Holy warriors and Your telling me that the name has nothing  to do with religion... You wanna take then one again son.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: November 09, 2018, 02:10:49 AM »
Its a Game about Holy warriors and Your telling me that the name has nothing  to do with religion... You wanna take then one again son.

LOL Even the stages had religion in them. And even the main villain of the series was Catholic! (or renounced it and was too lazy to redecorate his castle afterward)
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #747 on: November 09, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
it's actually more just a straight-up flanged mace head(although hollow-framed for some reason which would completely kill the momentum's weight, but it's magic oneshot so no trouble there)

the reason is most likely "the original series has a bunch of instances of calling the highest powerup for the whip a morningstar where the term is incorrect, there's a precedent, so let's just call it that too as a referential callback"

Don't forget that the 4th whip upgrade in CV2 was also called the morningstar.
In that case it literally just added a morningstar head onto the end of the chain whip.

Could just be coincidence, but the way they presented it in the show COULD be a reference to how the Morning Star whip upgrades to the Flame Whip in CV2.

So is there a salty old bastard award I could get for my unending hatred for this cartoon?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #748 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: November 09, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
seraph's a woman
As our good pal Trevor Belmont would say (or something he would say)

I just don't care

Tags:

anything