Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Double Dragon coming to PS3 in the west.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »
Releasing jan 14 , 2014 on PSN!!  (edit: have to get used to typing 2014)  (aahhh I have to get more PSN card)  Wow this is going to be GREAT!!!!   ;D   Normally I prefer a franchise to stick to its genre, but Double Dragon (that last Double Dragon game developed by Technos.) is the best Double Dragon fighting game (DDV was terrible, and Rage of the Dragons is an unlicensed wannabe with bland anime character designs.   

THE Technos Double Dragon fighting game actually has that gritty atmosphere that the series possessed, and the best thing that came out of the cheesy movie.  In fact, it's what the movie should have been like. )

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/13/tomba-2-double-dragon-joining-psone-classics-lineup/

The MonkeyPaw Games 2014 Retro Rush

found some match videos (well PS1, arcade and Neo Geo versions are almost identical).

Tournament Double Dragon : TRF Nakano Tournament (2009/8/11) [Part 1]
Casuals Double Dragon : Niigata vs Kuujou
Combo Double Dragon Marian Combo

Edit: well downloaded the import, and I'm very impressed how fun it plays.    ;D

Pros:

* awesome character selection (classic and original characters) 
* responsive controls
*amazing sprites, effects and backgrounds (even these days they are impressive and detailed. Blazblue may be "prettier", but DD is grittier in a good way.)
*stylish character intro animation sequences
* great a.i.
* awesome music (Rebecca's is really catchy)
* some brutal signature attacks
* you can hit enemies while they are downed (like Virtua Fighter and Darkstalkers)
* wake up recovery is fast
* you can change direction while double jumping, plus can air jump after a dash.
* complete Japanese Digital manual has neat rare art for the special moves.   
* only $6 

Cons:
*Load times may test some people's patience (they aren't too long to me, going back to the select screen is half as long as it takes to load a match,  loading match can range from 10-14 seconds),
*music resets between rounds   (I think KOF98 on Dreamcast was like that.)
*it's an import (there was no english version made), so the submenu text like the options and character quotes are in Japanese.
*movie scenes used in places like the intro (this game is better without directly linking movie media to the game.  I think it would have been better received if none of the movie images/video were included.  The ingame character designs and story is totally superior (though it's only flaw is the absence of Linda Lash, a Double Dragon legend.). Though I do give the movie credit, since that did help make this fighting game happen. So I would say this Double Dragon is a smart + tasteful reinvention of what the ideal Double Dragon movie should have been more like.)

I don't find those cons to be issues, but it's good for people to know about them if they are sensitive to that stuff.

move list guides found

http://www.gamefaqs.com/neo/565675-double-dragon/faqs/1259

http://www.gamefaqs.com/neo/565675-double-dragon/faqs/9692

Overall this is one of the most fun fighting games I've played and I only scratched the surface.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:43:48 AM by affinity »

Tags:

anything