Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A GameInformer short article about Castlevania  (Read 24009 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: A GameInformer short article about Castlevania
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
+3
I'm sorry but I don't wanna see a 2D main castlevania again in my lifetime.

Die monster. You don't belong in this world.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
HOHOHO awesome themes like this belong in a 2D CV game

Bloodrayne: Betrayal OST - Poisoned Halls

Bloodrayne: Betrayal OST - Peaceful Moon (NES Version)

+1 for you uzo, lump of coal for Ahasverus  >:(

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
+1
I'm sorry but I don't wanna see a 2D main castlevania again in my lifetime. LoS independently of how Cv enough was for some showed that the series works really well in a grandiose scale, and even if it returns to japanase hands I don't want them to abandon that.

While I do like the idea of a well-functioning 3D Castlevania, I still love the 2D ones. And it's not like you have to buy them if you don't want them.

My main gripe with the DS games was the lack of stuff to do in the individual rooms. Games like Metroid have very intricate rooms with different ways to navigate them, while in the Castlevanias for the most part it's just "walk right, hit things". Mirror of Fate looks like it will try to address this, but to what degree, who knows.

Also I'd like a female character who isn't a Belnades/mage type character for once. Shanoa was a good start, but even then they "justified" her use of weapons by saying "they're magical."

Any evolution of different types of levels would be highly welcome too. I can only see so many Clock Towers, Castle Keeps, and whatnot before they begin to blur together. Not to mention giving them appropriate enemies and bosses. I loved OoE a lot, but really, what the hell is a giant ass bug doing in a chapel?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
+1
HOHOHO Munchkins did you not notice the "Lady Gunner" from Akumajo Dracula:The Arcade?

WHY HASN'T THIS GAME BEEN PORTED YET

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't wanna see a 2D main castlevania again in my lifetime.

Ahasverus I like you but that's just.....insane. Like in the membrane.

No sane person in the world would say this, no one.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »
If we're talking about art style, Amano is too heavily associated with Final Fantasy.  Castlevania deserves a more unique look.

Personally, I'd love to see it in the hands of the person who did the art for Daikoukai Jidai IV: Porto Estado, or something like it tweaked to fit the series better, anyway.  The general style feels like a cross between Order of Ecclesia's art and Ayami Kojima's work:
http://attachment1.tgbusdata.cn/image/jpg/b4/bc/e9b70e694b21be2d9b0f369b3d4f.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj248/hotut/koukai4.jpg
http://www.freeforpsp.com/upload/201012/10122811322357.png

I think the style is more open to masculine designs than Ayami Kojima's, but retains the elegance.  Needs a gothic touch, though; the atmosphere of these works isn't right, obviously.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
+1
If you think 2D can't be grandiose, I suggest you look at Harmony of Despair.
That's actually what I did before getting to that conclusion lol

Why guys why do you hate me :(
OF COURSE I like more 2D Castlevanias, OF COURSE I want retail sized 2D Castlevanias, only thing I don't want are Mainline entries, as, say, Mirror of Fate that is a direct sequel of the new main line,I think that's the worst possible move ever made by MercurySteam. I'd love the 2D games to have its own timeline or something like that, but I just don't think of a developer that has enough experience, resources and most importantly confidence in a 2D game to be "complete" enough to warrant the title of Mainline entry. The fact that Symphony was the last one in 15 years says something about the viability of that.

I'd LOVE to be wrong, of course.

Surprise me, Konami.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:54:45 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 12:01:07 AM »
HOHOHO awesome themes like this belong in a 2D CV game

Bloodrayne: Betrayal OST - Poisoned Halls

Bloodrayne: Betrayal OST - Peaceful Moon (NES Version)

+1 for you uzo, lump of coal for Ahasverus  >:(
Hot girls with red hair also belong in castlevania

No one hates ya  :)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »
I kinda agree with Ahasverus on the fact the LoS did bring back Castlevania from the dead and gave it the place it deserved. With MercurySteam, the series would only be a few Pachislot games or one/two random titles (Encore of the Night, wtf). Hopefully, we got Harmony of Despair, which was, IMO, a great step forward: multiplayer (even if the all-recycled was a bit boring).

Sure, I'm all in for another 2D CV game. But not an IGA game with recycled sprites, manga style and akward story-telling. Let a team, like they did with MS, do it. But a team who did some great 2D games (the guys from Bloodrayne or Rayman Origins for instance).

However, I don't want the series to go back to onyl 2D games. I'd be happy if other VG teams make "their" version of CV, like MS did. I'd be happy other timelines, and with a few more games in the original/IGA timeline (1999 anyone?). But not with only one type of game. (And not Pachislot games!!)

Anyone can love or hate any CV title or type of game. We will never be all happy with only one (type of) game.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
If we're talking about art style, Amano is too heavily associated with Final Fantasy.  Castlevania deserves a more unique look.

While Amano is generally associated with FF, I think more people recognize Nomura than Amano since VII and up have used him entirely (with the exception of a few) and are unfortunately the more popular FF titles. Not to mention Amano's work ingame has always been heavily interpreted to be better translated to the screen and a lot of his unique color and style is lost.

The closest we've actually gotten to a proper interpretation of Amano in a FF title is the FFIV remake for the DS, it's still heavily interpreted and not a 1:1 translation of this style.

So while yes, Amano is associated with FF, I feel he could lend a unique style to Castlevania and make it it's own. I mean, just look at his work for VHD and Guin Saga. The man knows how to do dark fantasy. But again, I could just be fanboy fantasizing and trying to hard...  ;D

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »
+4
Hot girls with red hair also belong in castlevania

Hell yes they do.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
December 07, 2012, 09:11:02 AM - Hidden.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:19:53 AM by Sumac »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
And you still wonder why so many people hate your oppinions...

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
+1

Hell yes they do.

Hell yes indeed we need more
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
+2
That's actually what I did before getting to that conclusion lol

OF COURSE I like more 2D Castlevanias, OF COURSE I want retail sized 2D Castlevanias, only thing I don't want are Mainline entries, as, say, Mirror of Fate that is a direct sequel of the new main line,I think that's the worst possible move ever made by MercurySteam. I'd love the 2D games to have its own timeline or something like that, but I just don't think of a developer that has enough experience, resources and most importantly confidence in a 2D game to be "complete" enough to warrant the title of Mainline entry. The fact that Symphony was the last one in 15 years says something about the viability of that.

I'd LOVE to be wrong, of course.

Surprise me, Konami.

It sounds like you backpedaled a bit.  No 2D Castlevania at all?!  Say you did not mean that.
URGH Please, no one bring up Harmony of Despair.  That game is bloody awful... having said that, I do agree that the 'stages', were largely-scoped.... though that's as far as I go with that.

No 2D Castlevania mainline series entries?  That's crazy talk.

In my opinion, Castlevania Rebirth was the true step in the right direction... even though technically it took steps waaaaay back to the old CV's with stage progression.

I think what people really want (based on a couple of good ideas mentioned in this forum over the years) are the the following:

1. Kickass memorable music to go with our vampire killing efforts.
It cannot just be 'good' music or even 'great' music.  I think the general populace wants the music to be 'kickass' music.  That is, music that, no matter what style it chooses to do, manages to earworm into your head way after you're doing playing the game.  It cannot be throwaway generic music,  it has to stick.  It doesn't really matter the style or the composer, but it has to be stuff that you're done, and you're like "mmmm...mmmmmMmmmm mMmm" in your head.  That kind of thing.  It's a little difficult to explain, but I can tell you that, while LoS had great music, it was not 'this' type of music.  Can you hum any of the LoS tunes except the music box?  On call?  If someone put a gun to your head right now and told you to hum the seventh stage's battle music, could you really do so?  However, tell anyone here to hum "Poison Mind" or something like that, and it'll be VERY difficult not to instantly recognize that tune.  Again, it's not the style of the music, or the composer... it's that it sticks.

2. Development that looks like it gives a damn.
This is where Harmony of Despair falls terribly short, and Castlevania: Rebirth (sort of) does better.  As many people here have mentioned, since Symphony of the Night the titles have started to just recycle sprites, which starts to scream 'lazy and shoddy'.  Harmony of Despair cranked this up to 11, with pretty much everything (except the music) being exact elements directly copied from previous games.  LoS (and Mirror of Fate, from the looks of it) actually did a great job here at having the production values high enough.  You played the game and, although you cannot recall much of the music, the locales were quite breathtaking.  Going to Malphas's Tower and crossing the Ruins of Agharta, or trudging through the Castle or even the otherwordly Necromancer's Abyss are stuff that looked proper, beautiful, and at the same time a touch scary.  So, good production values, and try not to recycle stuff.

3. The core game must include platforming.  Anything else is secondary or even tertiary.
Seems to be that Castlevania cannot be a flat affair.  From what the critics of titles like Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence say, long flat hallways and boxy rooms are not cool.  In the 2D titles it was somewhat more forgiveable because there either were platforms in the rooms, or enemies to break up the monotony but in the 3D titles, this is important.  The N64 titles and the LoS series did a fine job here (though LoS overdid it with wall climbing and it wasn't fun... at least, not "Assassin's Creed 'fun').  In the 2D games there were some instances where the long room/big room thing worked against the design (Portrait of Ruin with large rooms with little platforming, Harmony of Dissonance with large but only zig-zagging corridors).  Also, this is not Dynasty Warriors;  Not every room needs to be a battle of 1 vs. 20.  It is also not Final Fight; stop locking the door and forcing the player to defeat a horde of enemies before proceeding in every chamber.  Make tougher enemies, but put only a few in a room.  And 'toughness' comes in terms of attacking and attacking patterns, not just oodles of oodles of health (this is where Mirror of Fate worries me terribly).  But the core gameplay should be platforming, not battling.  And by platforming, it means jumping on platforms and interacting with the terrain, not just wall climbing, rope climbing, or whip-swinging. 

I think these are the three core aspects that most people can truly agree upon.
They also work whether the game created is a 2D title or a 3D title.

Again, this is an opinion, but one forged from years spent with you guys as a community.  I am also trying very hard not to be biased toward any one particular game, just noting the best aspects of the tiles so far.

Ahasverus:
People like some of the 2D titles, and there have been more of them that are considered 'good' than there have been 3D titles that have been considered 'good'.  So cutting out all forms of 2D gameplay, or reducing it to 'side stories' (which is what I think you're meaning to say?  Not sure, you flip-flopped there at the last moment) would clash against most people's opinions, so I can understand why you would get a few cringes from that statement.

Sumac:
Please do not fuel the flames.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:35:25 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

anything