Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274205 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
+1
Hey guys sorry it took a little, got busy as usual again lol.  Man, look at the posts....thanks? Phoenix, thanks for the clips dude.  I saw these awhile back.  I really like what was done with his version of the game, but im leaning more towards a straight "upgrade" so to speak from the original similar to how the first Chronicles game is to the first CV.  Which granted, it is very, very gnarly, it just seems like a whole different take on CVIII.  Not slammin at all or anything, props where they are due because he has done an amazing job thus far, just my 2 cents on where i am with mine.  Uzo, i'll play around with the pallet a bit and see what turns out dude.  As for the elements of different CV's, im VERY set on that man.  Mainly because while there are tons and tons of awesome BG's and whatnot to edit and reuse, i wanted to stick solely to CV's images.  Just seems more legit to me lol, didnt really want to add elements from metal slug or super ghouls n ghosts like most other fan games ive seen lol.  But its all good fellas, again im not slinging the mud here, just putting my input in as well  8)
I think the different elements work good together. I think what Uzo is more focused on his the actual color palette for your stages.  An example would be in a mad forest type of area, all the "props," backgrounds and such should have "foresty" tones so that is an overall harmony with that stage. (I.E. the purple mountains)We get away with not having it a bit more in Vamprotector, because since it's very Contra like, everything doesn't have to make perfect sense all the time. We can have "zany" stages with a very colorful front, middle, and backgrounds. For your project since, it's on a less smaller scale than Vamprotector I think you might have to be a little more exact with matching certain things up...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Yeah man i hear you, i didnt mean to sound pissy if so it wasnt intended, like i said i'll take all pointers, the bar is already set high with all the other great WIP of this game as is, so im definitely going to take all the input to make it the best i possibly can.  At the moment im mainly focusing on getting everything setup on the stages, basically making the templates and im going to go back through each and every stage afterwords and fine tune everything up.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
Actually, I wasn't referring to other game series outside of Castlevania. I mean's between games in the series, mixing graphics across Castlevania titles, still ends up as an inconsistent mess. Too many styles have been scattered about, especially color wise. You can minimize this by rooting a true palette theme for the assets of a stage though.

Of course, making your own graphics is always best. Most people don't have the time, dedication, and in some cases money to see that through though. If you must do it at least theme the palettes together, otherwise you'll end up with something looking completely inconsistent and disorganized.

As before, the offer is extended for one free example room if you want it.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
Phoenix, thanks for the clips dude.  I saw these awhile back.  I really like what was done with his version of the game, but im leaning more towards a straight "upgrade" so to speak from the original similar to how the first Chronicles game is to the first CV.  Which granted, it is very, very gnarly, it just seems like a whole different take on CVIII.  Not slammin at all or anything, props where they are due because he has done an amazing job thus far, just my 2 cents on where i am with mine.

Hey not a problem :) I saw you are working on something similar and wanted to post something that could help give insight. And it did; it showed that you wanted a different vision of it than he did.

What I DID like about his Trevor was the 8-way whipping. He also mentioned giving Trevor the highest defense and the ability for his whip to hit stuff that was DIRECTLY behind him to compensate for Grant's climbing, Alucard's bat, and Sypha's magic. As for you keeping or not keeping, again it's your choice as the developer :)
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:13 AM »
+1
Thanks guys.  I get ya Uzo, its all good man  8) And i agree 100% on the custom graphics, but i fall into that time category lol.  I've always wanted to have custom graphics just for the fact that they would be the only ones around, not something that everyone could jump on spriters resource and snag - at least until the game is released lol.  Thanks for opting to play around with the Mad Forest background, i'll PM it to you after i post this.  I appreciate it dude and i'll take any help i can get  ;D Phoenix, i hear ya on that as well :) I like how the 8 direction whip was added also and i didnt know how he had the characters classed, i plan on doing something very similar with my game as well.  I want to make Trevor more of a tank type character, grant obviously the speed demon, alucard to be a power house and sypha to be somewhat weaker but be able to effect almost everything in game with her magic.  I havent really had a chance to play around with the game for the past couple of days but HOPEFULLY this weekend will be laid back and i can focus on it some more.  I'll keep you guys posted.  8)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
-
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:20:19 AM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
+1
Even though i totally enjoy this stuff. I still think someone out their with mega C++ code skills outta help Jorge finish his game. I haven't been able to play it do to it not working on my pc. But the videos on it are astounding. How konami themeselves haven't contacted you is a question mark. With all the sprite art on all 4 characters, 1 hidden unlockable characters, Dracula, Frank,medusa, spinning coffin trio bosses, all the handshakes, all the endings, Nasty Grant and another hidden boss(can't mention who). It's sad we can't join forces and make that c++ game you've had for some time. I seriously think Jorge you should finish the last few levels. I dunno something about having all the levels done plus, perhaps all the sprite art, may intrigue some skilled C++ coder to come by and really hit it home! C++ coders all i ask is WHY???? People say they don't have time for this or that. It's a load of bs if you ask me. I am seriously considering sitting down and learning a thing or two myself about C++ to see if i can learn it effeciently to perhaps take on the game's code if no one else will. Which reminds me, and i don't wanna bring this up too much, I was supposed to meet a really talented C++ guy who seemed to show interest in the project. Actually just talked to him today he's supposedt to text me later. Maybe i should tell him if it all gets done and kicks ass( No doubt their!) That we should submit it to konami. I think it'd be easier submitting something that is done as opposed to wanting to get done. Then again they'd have a smash hit on their hands. I do like some concepts the SCV3 team has done for sure aswell. But their are some levels i don't even know how the hell you built them. They are ridiculous good! It's like your mind when building them was a storybook or something. Sheeez talk about vision damn.

Hey guys! Well i figured now it's time to throw in my 2 cents. IF there is rumor of the game being on hiatus their no longer is now.Unless there is a way to merge projects of course. Preferabbly in C++ to jorge's engine.So here's what we've been up to with SCV3. And not too worry all the levels that have been build with the exeption of mad forest will find their way into the game one way or another.Well here's what we've got so far. Dont know what happened to OBreck or Mew, both very very talented, but kinda MIA if you ask me. I still talk to Shodian from time to time about things in the engine, and he seems busy on MKF project. Which btw kicks complete ass you should check that out.I highly recommend doing so. since that last official demo2 on the now Fangame fushion site, Reiko,myself,Crimson Curse, APC, Donoffrio, have contributed quite a bit to the project. And it has been coming along nicely. We are considering recruiting more help also with coding,3d object model makers,effects, etc. It may take a load off of everyone if another coder got involved,however i don't wanna step on anyones toes, so i typically ask the coders first what they think.They seem ok with it so far. Ok here we are:

Drac's Keep(wip rought draft)
Drac's keepdrac fight
-this is not final by any means.
-Drac boss is very glitchy and is still being worked on by one of our coders when he returns at the end of the month.
-Addition of mirrors(you can see you not drac) in the boss battle maybe. Addtion of paintings,bushes,furniure, statues,decors need to be added in. Some room sizes may change including rooms  and 5,6 and 7 to become larger more roomy.
-Room one statues, and color edits need some implementing

Death's Lair-Main Hall(wip rough draft)
Main hall wip2death screwy
-Need to enhance rooms 3 and 4 big time, and possibly stretch the size of those and room 1 aswell. Possibly knock out a few walls and add extra features. Plans to make an armor guard actually attackable out of the blue. Plus chandeliers falling in certain areas.
-Bridge needs tweaking, one part doesn't break right away. Maybe it's just spritework that needs to be dealt with their.
-Bridge needs archways and too be fancied up a bit. Also the additions of other various features paintings,bushes, statues, all on the list of things
-The level overall itself will indefinetly get a repallette change. It will ultimely be brigther grey/white offset and teh maroon will be a bit more redder in definition. The white/grey will be more like that of the stairs in the rooms

Swamp stage(pretty much finalized exept Phantom Bat Boss)
Swamp Final

-On possible tweaks maybe to take away the alpha_image on the mud. So it is a solid color. Makes probably more sense.
-also going through the doors unless the height is 240 seems to be an issue. Not sure why. I didn't code that part.
-May possibly add those drapping vines in 16 bit like that of the nes version. If i feel they are too much i will not

The Rising Tower(wip rough draft)
Rising Tower Wip
-Overall level is done, and room sizes are pretty decent.May add ornaments,statues, broken pillars, that sort of thing.

Level 1(Wip very rough draft wip)
level 1 wip1
-Not sure where to begin. Rooms 1-4 especially 3 will get a total revamp. Probably looking very differnt when done. Only the backgrounds will be kept.
-Will add a struck by lightning Tree like that of Castlevania Chronicles, either probablyh in room 1 or room8 maybe 7 doubtful though.
-Some of the backgrounds added need more artwork tweaked on them such as the houses in rooms 6 and 7.
-Plans to make room5(medusa head room) into an aqueduct room with flowing water and mirror reflections and such.
-Very uncertain on the tileage at this point. Just trying to find what looks good i guess but beleivable.
-Also once i learn 3d objects and can make some(will take time of course). I plan on taking out some backgrounds like in room 1 and inserting 3d style houses in the backgrounds, along with a moving windmill in room 6 3d. And also a mill and pully system in the aquedect room 5 i think it is.

Old ghost ship(needs revamping)
super castlevania 3 potential ghostship level
-Gonna tweak the entire thing. Most of it will not look the same.
Got plans to eithre give the background water flowing like that of drac's keep,mirror effect(probably not here though), or crashing waves. Probably the last one!

I will totally ditch Mad forest and start a new. It was looking rather plain and ugly imho. I could do much better now i know more of what it is i'm doing and looking for aswell.

We are also beginning production on the Floodgate moat bridge level.

Other plans include but not yet implemented are:
Adding non repeat bosses
2 on the list selected from a pool(not all are selected yet)
are:
 Olrox form 1 and 2 to replace the last monster trio probably level 13 boss. He should play out just like he does in sotn but a differnt room of course with a double scaled boss view. I can tweak code their.
Grakul- had considered making a vampire bat form 2 using castlevania rebirth dracula' bat form 2. But idea got tossed do to too many form 2 bosses.

Other potentials may include any boss that would fit viably into the 1476 timeline or at least not in a specific one. Examples of some that won't fit would be Brauner,Camilla,Elizabeth Bartley, Shaft etc etc. Crimson had mentioned Legion boss as a replace,or maybe succubus. We'll have to see what everyone wants. I do like legion boss maybe to replace someone. Also their are some secrets in the game we are keeping hidden from people.

SCV3 team-
Obreck lead coder,conceptual design,level designer,founder MIA
Del consultant
MEW&SHodian level designers,assisted in project with one level each also  part of MKF project
Reiko-current sprite designer,conceptual art, consultant,
Laslund-conceptual art,level designer,sprite art, assistant coder,
Crimson Curse- current lead coder
APC-current lead coder
Donofrio-current sprite artist
Dastan aka Barnabus-voice actor(When we come that)
Music: Several artists here, including Torlezan, Jorge Fuentes, and others. All in the credit list. Iv'e asked permission from all but one or two people who i've treid but can't make contact with. Primarily Kenzy cause i don't speak Japanese on one of his tracks. Another guy hasn't responded back. And if cool with Jorge we'd like to use some of his tracks which in my opinion are some of the best.
SOrry for the terribly long post. I wanna apologize for that. Well hope you enjoy the progress. Who knows maybe they'll be a day that we can all somehow mesh these projects into one big awesome Castlevania Chronicles:Drac's Curse. Well if your like me your hopeful!!
Much respect Las and your project looks great,but you could have really made your own post instead of stepping on Warmachine's toes...

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:44 AM »
That wasn't my intent. :-\ But you leave me with a good idea. I'll tackle that later though.And His game look promising as well i defintely like quite a few screenshots that i'm seeing from his game, no doubt he's on a tear, i like the fact he's adament about it ;D ;D ;D. I dunno if you hadn't noticed though the comment that indicated it would be cool if we had all meshed our ideas and concepts into one game, therefore no ones their toes stepped on. Would it not make sense for people to try and join forces? I am really refering to all of us. I'm sure at some point they'll be bits and pieces of everyone's game's that look awesome.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
That wasn't my intent. :-\ But you leave me with a good idea. I'll tackle that later though.And His game look promising as well i defintely like quite a few screenshots that i'm seeing from his game, no doubt he's on a tear, i like the fact he's adament about it ;D ;D ;D. I dunno if you hadn't noticed though the comment that indicated it would be cool if we had all meshed our ideas and concepts into one game, therefore no ones their toes stepped on. Would it not make sense for people to try and join forces? I am really refering to all of us. I'm sure at some point they'll be bits and pieces of everyone's game's that look awesome.
No prob, I was just thinking it would be easier for you to have your own listing that way people aren't bouncing back and forth on 2 different games on 1 thread (which was originally Warmachine's deal). I mean your idea was a good one, but then you had a super long post about your game and screenshots and stuff. I am not by no means getting on your case, it's just I would like option of being able to post on a thread dedicated to your game as well!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »
Hey dudes! :) just to drop a little update (little vague im at work lol) the terror tower was completed 2 nights ago and i started to work on the Causeway now.  I took a little break to record the prelude tune, take a listen :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oh20s78ptctg5v/Preulde%20LOUD.mp3
as always, leave me all the feedback you guys wish and check back for updates!  Its getting there dudes!  8)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
Hey dudes! :) just to drop a little update (little vague im at work lol) the terror tower was completed 2 nights ago and i started to work on the Causeway now.  I took a little break to record the prelude tune, take a listen :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oh20s78ptctg5v/Preulde%20LOUD.mp3
as always, leave me all the feedback you guys wish and check back for updates!  Its getting there dudes!  8)
Nice interpretation and use of effects. However, the track is over-saturated and full of clipping. You should mix it through a limiter or a compressor.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:12 AM »
Hey guys, quick update!  ;D Sorry for being out so long, i've been slammed again as usual.  I just got my band up and running and im in the process of us polishing up our tunes and getting gigs setup.  Anyways, here's what i have completed so far:

Village
Clocktower
Mad Forest I and II
Marsh
Ghost Ship
Alucard's Cave I and II
Tower of Terror
Causeway

I just started working on the Sunken City monday night and since im feeling like shiza i will probably stretch out this evening and work on it some more lol.  As stated earlier, i am focusing on the level layout/design primarily as step one, step two will be polishing and adding more effects/removing/adding to them and step three will be adding enemies,bosses, etc.  I will probably be doing some of the tracks in between everything to give me a break from the coding lol, but its getting there guys.  I'll give you an update when i get some more progress done.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
Gratz on your band! And don't burn yourself out! This project is for fun, so don't butcher yourself working on it.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:51 AM »
Thanks dude! 8) And definitely wont get burnt out, that's why i havent really got to work with it since monday LMFAO! The band thing is where i sit the most comfortably (if not noted from the OST im making haha).  I was really heavy in touring in '07-'10 playing shows with Sevendust, Drowning Pool, Soil, Bobaflex, God Forbid, etc etc, REALLY making a name for myself and getting a foothold in the music community.  But things winded down just a touch, my bassist was unable to find work locally so had to move 3 states away for a job, my drummer was having a baby soon....BLAH!  BUT, like i said i got some dudes now that are as hungry as i am and we are ready to kick some ass!  Hell, the whole job thing and kid thing was a crock to me in all honesty.  Hell, im married, have 2 kids and work full time and still manage to do the band and work on the game!  Its all about dedication.  But anways, end rant lmao and thanks again man  ;D

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
I am sure Warmachine won't mind me posting this sneak peak on this thread:

Tags: