Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Foreign Music...  (Read 7776 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »
who here listens to Foreign music in general?

I primarily listen to Japanese Rock, and NO its not because of Anime (I HATE anime being the gateway to everything else, why can't it just be music)

Favorite Bands
X Japan (doesn't count now that they are an american band now)
DELUHI
Moi Dix Mois
B'z
Shiina Ringo
Art Cube
Dir en Grey (not as of late)
Luna Sea

*many more, but those are the ones I can say off top of head.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:40:23 AM »
Uh...

I listen to bands from all over the world.

I don't think of it as "foreign music," though.

'Course, I mostly listen to electronic and rock-centered stuff. When I think "foreign music," it's always music specific to a place and culture that's been around for a long time and is identified with that nation or region—or, in the case of the US, not so long with the whole blues scene.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:19:26 AM »
Same here. I listen to stuff from everywhere, so it would be weird to refer to it as foreign. Just mostly metal from all over, no real regional preferences or anything (although I'll admit I went through a Scandinavian phase some years back).
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:44 AM »
It's kind of silly to call any kind of music "foreign" in here because it's an international forum, we've got people here from America, Japan, Finland, Greece... any kind of person would see different music as "foreign".
Anyway, in my country when people talk about  "foreign music" they usually refer to American or English music because that's usually what you hear on the radio. Only on rare occasions you can hear on the big radio stations French or German or Russian songs, and it's usually only when the songs are very popular worldwide.

It's a shame because I barely know good songs that are not in English. Recently I read about a Progressive rock/metal band called Mizraab from Pakistan. I was amazed to hear such talent from a country I know barely anything about. This made me wonder how many great bands are there around the world I never heard of.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
Well, calling it foreign music implies that it's not in your native language, which says a lot about why you listen to it. I listen to foreign music all the time. The only English songs I listen to are rock or metal, like Metallica, Korn, Queen, Black Sabbath... the classics. I listened to a lot of JPop and still do. The only rap I like is JRap, although there are a couple rap songs I still listen to from the good old days. JPop was a gateway genre, since it stemmed from my love of anime. But that was only because the only way I could hear JPop was by watching the credits in anime. So eventually my love of ani-songs progressed to popular music, although I still love Megumi Hayashibara and Kajiura Yuki's ani-songs. I love Rammstein, but even though I try to get into other industrial music, I just can't seem to find one that clicks with me.

I'm not sure how it is with other people, but for me, foreign music is attractive because you can listen to the music with one part of your brain and not get distracted by using more of it. You can focus on the music without the lyrics getting in the way. For example, Lady Gaga. I like some of her songs. I hate her lyrics though. They're stupid. Even great songs, not pop songs, like those of A.L. Webber or Bernstein I feel are better without the lyrics. An instrumental of "Music of the Night" or "Memories" is better than one with someone actually singing it. Sure, there are times when I do like with the lyrics, but part of that may too have to do with who is singing. Sorry, fairies, but I prefer Sinatra's version of "Send In The Clowns" over Streisand's.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
who here listens to Foreign music in general?

I primarily listen to Japanese Rock, and NO its not because of Anime (I HATE anime being the gateway to everything else, why can't it just be music)

Opposite for me that is just how I was introduced to it.yet after hearing more some of the ones I like would be concerning Japanese music would be :

Shinsengumi Main Theme NHK 2004

Zone Of The Enders OST1 - Kiss Me Sunlights (Opening Theme)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
It seems retardedly simple, but I'm very impressed by someone that can hum in a concert hall over an orchestra. That takes a strong diaphragm and vocal chords.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
I mainly listen to anime and videogame music T_T

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
Please post your karaoke videos.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
I love KODO!!  ;D
"Stuff and things."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »

I'm not sure how it is with other people, but for me, foreign music is attractive because you can listen to the music with one part of your brain and not get distracted by using more of it. You can focus on the music without the lyrics getting in the way.

For me, it's kind of a letdown to hear a great song and not being able to understand the lyrics. I enjoy a song that has a nice tune, but if the song has great text that makes it so much more awesome.
That's one of the reasons I like Power Metal. Traditionally, it has both emotional music and meaningful lyrics (and even when it's not meaningful, it's still well-thought).

Anyone who listened to rage against the machine can say they have great tunes, but when accompanied by powerful lyrics, it blows you out of your socks.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline ChequerChequer

• My memories will be part of the sky...
    • Awards
Re: Foreign Music...
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
I mostly listen to foreign bands, specialy because I like metal and the only good metal band from my country is Angra, and I believe that I might be the only brazilian in this forum from now (hope I am not alone though).

Here is a song that is foreign to most of you, for those who do not know Angra.
Angra - Temple of Hate

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:45 AM »
I mostly listen to foreign bands, specialy because I like metal and the only good metal band from my country is Angra, and I believe that I might be the only brazilian in this forum from now (hope I am not alone though).

Here is a song that is foreign to most of you, for those who do not know Angra.
Angra - Temple of Hate

Angra is one of my favorite bands and temple of shadows one of my most loved almbum!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
I really love Susumu Hirasawa. If you've seen the anime Berserk, you have heard his stuff before.

Susumu Hirasawa - Sim City
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Tags:

anything