Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Would you marry a djinn?  (Read 11773 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »
I'm taking Islamic faith as one of my courses at the moment. We all remember the djinn (or genie) in the story about Aladdin. But how many of us know that djinns (demons in Arab folklore) are actually a part of Islamic belief, and that at least some Muslims believe in?   
I'm studying a book in which a theologian explains the basics of Muslim religion. He criticizes certain early Islamic literature and hadith (law) because it sometimes argues about matters as irrelevant as marriages with djinns. One story, he explains, tells of an Arab rich man who had four djinn-wives.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091007030233AAalkf7

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Islam-947/2010/3/Human-relation-Djinn.htm

How about you, guys? Would you merry a djinn-wife if you could?  ;D Or would it rather be a marriage with Shaitan?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
HELL NO

have you ever seen the movie Wishmaster?

Wishmaster Trailer

That is why me am no marry one.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
But how many of us know that djinns (demons in Arab folklore) are actually a part of Islamic belief, and that at least some Muslims believe in?

Everyone who has seen Wishmaster  8)

Edit: damn you, Crisis  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:25:47 PM by A-Yty »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
Wes Craven? Robert Englund? In a low-rated film? Sounds like my kind of popcorn & alcohol night.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
I think many Muslim scholars don't really consider djinn as demons, but rather as creatures with similar intelligence, beliefs, and customs to that of humans. I believe Islam teaches they were made by God from smokeless fire, whereas humans were made from the dust. Tradition also has it that there are Muslim djinn as well.
Some scholars pretty much regard them as living in another dimension that we cannot comprehend, and hypothesize that some djinn feel the same about humans as some humans do about them.

Of course, many Muslims may not even believe in djinn. Islam is a very fascinating and complex religion.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »
14:22 spits in the face of demoniac apologetics. (scroll to the very bottom of the 2nd link) "And Satain will say, '... I only invited, but you followed.' Goes against all that "The devil made me do it" hoopla.

It explains in one of the passages how humans could co-exist with djinni, so obviously it's possible.

Sidenote, the passages where Iblis talks back to Allah to me just make Allah sound like a little kid. "See this? This is my greatest work of art! Appreciate it!" Then Iblis was like, "What the hell? Is that a ... What is that? I can't tell if that's a retarded tree or a gorilla." And Allah said, "It's a man!" And Iblis said, "Dude, that so isn't your greatest work. How much candy did you have to eat last night?" Then Allah said, "Go to hell, jerk!"

But I don't personally give any credence to any Judeo-Christian/Islamic mumbo-jumbo. It's all Zoroastrian mk.II thru mk.IV anyway.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:42:27 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:33:28 AM »
How are you going to marry something that's going to be trapped for the rest of it's immortal life by King Solomon?

And .... indeed, Wish Master was my first thought too.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
Dunno, I might be tempted...

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
If you rub the "magic lamp" the genie will come.

^out
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 12:23:24 AM »
I'D RUB HER MAGIC LAMP IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

y'know, somehow, that just DOESN'T quite work as well in reference to a woman...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »
Islam is a very fascinating and complex religion.

Fascinating? Yes. Complex? I believe history made it so. I don't believe Muhammad the prophet intended it to be so; rather, he wanted it to be simple. Much like Jesus of Nazareth and other prophets before him, he was bothered by the corruption and immorality of the people around him and thus formed a religion which was intended to create a better society. The very meaning of Islam is "devotion" or "submission" (to Allah).
The greatest values in the religion are modesty and mercifulness, and the basic idea is that when people understand their inferiority compared to God, this destroys their pride and creates a more equal society. 

Out of all the values attributed to Allah, Muslims emphasize His mercifulness. Every sura (chapter) in the Quran starts with "Bismillah al-rahman al-rahim", which translates to "in the name of God, the gracius and merciful".
Those great values of tolerance and justice sound a bit strange when compared to modern radical Islamists and certain Muslim states, which are neither tolerant nor particularly merciful, or Muslim kings and princes who are far from being considered modest. It just shows us that real life doesn't exactly appear the way ideologists want it to.

Hehe, that's a nice painting, Flame.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:20:44 AM by Drunken Freddy »
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
My parents are Muslim, but I don't know too much about Djinns...going from that article, though, it seems like too much trouble. ~_~

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »
I cannot help but smile at the seriousness of people's responses to the question.

"You may not befriend djinns.  >:( It is harram (forbidden). You must only befriend Allah."  >:(
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »
>.>

Marriage is legal slavery! You aren't befriending anyone!

Now ... GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Found the pic on gelbooru when I searched "Djinn" or "Genie" (cant remember which- also, NSFW warning on gelbooru)

Religion really is a fascinating thing to study. (especially from a neutral viewpoint. I consider myself Catholic, but im not particularly religious, so im more or less neutral) ALL religions have branches, and some of those often are radicals. Its just a matter of how many vs how many.

Christianity for example, has TONS of branches. AND has had (and HAS) it's own radical movements.

Islam, from what I have seen though, is VERY impressionable, and it seems like it is very easy for your every day average person to suddenly go radical. It happens all over the news. Seemingly normal man with family, all that, suddenly goes on a rampage or tries to blow something up. They investigate his recent actions, and find he either went to the middle east recently, or had been in constant recent touch with an Imam.

Im really interested in how that happens. How is it that simple to twist someone's view of their religion just like that? Even mist scholars of Islam agree that what the radicals preach is NOTHING like what is actually outlined in the Qur'an

We need a religion discussion topic up in dis board I think.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:32:28 AM by Flame »

Tags: