Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 138767 times)

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: "Castle of Nightmares" - Castlevania-Like Project
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »
Also I am thinking (AND IT IS HARD AS HELL) of the main characters name. Few ideas come to my mind like Victor Nox, Chistian "something" I want to be something memorable.
May be this interesting list of medieval names will help you:
http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/medieval-names.htm

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2013, 01:50:01 AM »
The name of the main Character is Erhard Tarein. Right now I am thinking how to implement good dialogue system just like in the Castlevania games.

On the other hand the demo is almost ready so I hope to post it soon.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »
Guys I need some help with sound effects. For now I am using the universal-soundbank for free sounds but I need more. Could anyone suggest more sites like that. I searched but most sites want fees or some kind of complicated credit giving :D

If anyone could give me such site I would greatly appreciate it :)
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
Guys I need some help with sound effects. For now I am using the universal-soundbank for free sounds but I need more. Could anyone suggest more sites like that. I searched but most sites want fees or some kind of complicated credit giving :D

If anyone could give me such site I would greatly appreciate it :)
Maybe this will help: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/55-great-websites-to-download-free-sound-effects/

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 06:20:29 AM »
+1
Hello everyone!!!

I have finally have some gameplay for you!

First of all I want to say that this is my very FIRST project and I am still novice to Game Maker, in other words there might be bugs present in the game.

Ok with that cleared I want to say some thing about the demo or alpha. There is no music in the demo there are only sound effects. There are no accessories or spells in the demo. Those things will be added later into the game.
Of course this will happen only if my game is well recieved I will not make something that the majority of players do not like :)

PLEASE Read the text file in the game's folder. Inside is the information about the controls of the game.

The game is packed in .rar file so just un-rar it and click on the game's icon.

Another important thing to know is if your anti-virus detect the game as virus do not worry it is not a virus. The encryption of the game my cause that :)

I will appreciate any suggestions, criticism, basically any kind of feedback. The demo is not long and if people like it I have big plans for that game :)

Post your feedback here in this thread!

Here is the download link:

EDIT: I have removed the link because I will post new more advanced demo soon :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:11:33 AM by Zuljaras »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Wow 2 great fan demos within such a short period of time (and many other fan-games in the works). I's a great time to be interested in fan projects and even greater to see the vibrant life in this section of the Dungeon!
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
OK so I played the whole demo until the end, and I really enjoyed it. :)

Gameplay is solid and really feel like a CV game. The feeling/ambience are great, and I'm pretty sure that with music and better sound effects, it'll be perfect (BTW, do you have a composer? Or do you plan to use existant music?) The physics are very nicely done too and the difficulty is here (I died 3 times before getting to Grag lol!)

The only negative points (in my opinion) are that the character becomes really, really slow once we get the Normal and Large Swords, and that the need of the mouse for the menu "breaks" a little the pace of the game (being able to use the keyboard in the menu would be very nice). But don't worry, even with those little cons, I really loved it. :)

Oh, and also, I found strange that the Half-Zombie has more health points (18 I think) than the regular Zombie (less than 15?) :D

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards

I know that the menu using the mouse is weird but I do not know how to make it with the key board. I find is way easier to make it with the mouse plus I will try to make it better with more graphics and a custom mouse cursor. However I find it alot easier to navigate through the menu with the mouse because with the keyboard you will have to scroll through everything :)

As for the half-zombie it was just the second enemy I have made and I though that I will make it with more hitpoints. Plus it is harder from the regular Zombie ... beware you HAVE TO DUCK!  ;D ;D ;D

As for the music I do not know because I am focused on the coding ... it is the hardest thing for me. I hope I do not have any problems later.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

I know that the menu using the mouse is weird but I do not know how to make it with the key board. I find is way easier to make it with the mouse plus I will try to make it better with more graphics and a custom mouse cursor. However I find it alot easier to navigate through the menu with the mouse because with the keyboard you will have to scroll through everything :)
Yes, it is indeed easier to use the mouse to choose the equipement/item. That's not a problem. :)

As for the half-zombie it was just the second enemy I have made and I though that I will make it with more hitpoints. Plus it is harder from the regular Zombie ... beware you HAVE TO DUCK!  ;D ;D ;D
Haha, yeah, I understand now! :D

As for the music I do not know because I am focused on the coding ... it is the hardest thing for me. I hope I do not have any problems later.
I compose and arrange music myself, and I would be happy to write some music for your game. :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I gave this a shot and i must say it plays fairly solid. No bugs did I encounter and the controls were tight. I had to play it over and over again as i kept getting my @$$ handed to me, although I lucked out on the boss and killed it with almost no life, lol!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
Hey Zul. I have just one small English flub you have. When you get the sword, it says something like "time appears to have no affect and it shows no sign of rust". Affect spelled with an "a" is used with verbs ("Time does not appear to have affected this weapon's keen edge") while effect spelled with an "e" is used as a noun. I understand that English is at least your second language so I perfectly understand a minor error.
Other than that I'm really enjoying the game. It has that retro vibe to it reminiscent from the older titles. I love some of the nuances you added, like holding down jump only jumps as long as you hold it. If I just tap jump, he only does a small leap.
A bug I encountered also forced me to restart. On the screen with the red potion, I went down instead of up and fell down into the pit. The game didn't load a next screen, nor did it kill me. I was stuck down there with no way to get back up or get to any other screen.
If it helps, the order I went was (from the screen with the red potion)
1. up to the room with the sword and then the life-up item. Then back to the red potion room.
2.From here I went one room to the right
3.then decided to go back and check down that pit at the bottom of the red potion room. That was when I got stuck.

EDIT: I wonder why I got -1'd for this?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:00:19 AM by Phoenix7786 »

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
Hey Zul. I have just one small English flub you have. When you get the sword, it says something like "time appears to have no affect and it shows no sign of rust". Affect spelled with an "a" is used with verbs ("Time does not appear to have affected this weapon's keen edge") while effect spelled with an "e" is used as a noun. I understand that English is at least your second language so I perfectly understand a minor error.
Other than that I'm really enjoying the game. It has that retro vibe to it reminiscent from the older titles. I love some of the nuances you added, like holding down jump only jumps as long as you hold it. If I just tap jump, he only does a small leap.
A bug I encountered also forced me to restart. On the screen with the red potion, I went down instead of up and fell down into the pit. The game didn't load a next screen, nor did it kill me. I was stuck down there with no way to get back up or get to any other screen.
If it helps, the order I went was (from the screen with the red potion)
1. up to the room with the sword and then the life-up item. Then back to the red potion room.
2.From here I went one room to the right
3.then decided to go back and check down that pit at the bottom of the red potion room. That was when I got stuck.

Thank you for pointing those things :) Especially the English mistake :)
I really am sorry that I forgot to put the barrier in the Castle entrance. There is supposed to be a magic ice barrier that can only be destroyed with the Demon mace that will be found later in the game.
I will definetely fix those things right now :D It SUX that English is not my mother language :(

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
Hey don't worry Zul! That's what demos and tests and people with English as a native language are for :D

I have another question for you Zul. At level 3 with the sword and double-jump I'm dealing 11 damage. Equipping the leather armour boosts my damage up to 17 while removing it drops my damage back to 11. Is armour supposed to be increasing my damage like that or did I encounter another bug?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:59:45 PM by Phoenix7786 »

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
I wanted to ask a question here to what the community thinks of my idea.

I think to implement a shop in the game but not regular shop. After the defeat of Grag the player will go up in that corridor where the demo ended and past that he will encounter Death (Grim Reaper) and they will chat. Death will explain to Erhard that this place (the castle) is hurting the natural equilibrium of the world. This means that many souls cannot find rest because they are unable to escape the Castle. Death is business oriented and he tells Erhard that if he gather the souls of the dead and brings them to him he will give in return many artefacts, potions etc. Because of that every enemy will have a chance to drop souls and this will be the currency of the shop. Death's shop will be divided into 3-4 tiers and with character development (leveling) new tiers will be opened allowing more powerful weapons, armors, potions and stuff. Of course I will make sure that there are no gamebreaking items in there just the regular shop for refills and stuff.

Also after the chat with Death in the corridor he will dissapear and you can find him in the very beggining of the Castle right where the game starts.

Tell me what you think about that :)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I wanted to ask a question here to what the community thinks of my idea.

I think to implement a shop in the game but not regular shop. After the defeat of Grag the player will go up in that corridor where the demo ended and past that he will encounter Death (Grim Reaper) and they will chat. Death will explain to Erhard that this place (the castle) is hurting the natural equilibrium of the world. This means that many souls cannot find rest because they are unable to escape the Castle. Death is business oriented and he tells Erhard that if he gather the souls of the dead and brings them to him he will give in return many artefacts, potions etc. Because of that every enemy will have a chance to drop souls and this will be the currency of the shop. Death's shop will be divided into 3-4 tiers and with character development (leveling) new tiers will be opened allowing more powerful weapons, armors, potions and stuff. Of course I will make sure that there are no gamebreaking items in there just the regular shop for refills and stuff.

Also after the chat with Death in the corridor he will dissapear and you can find him in the very beggining of the Castle right where the game starts.

Tell me what you think about that :)
Tthat's a neat idea! I really like the concept. Just be sure to add a sort of teleporter near Death's shop ;)

anything