Poll

Which one is your favourite 3D Castlevania game?

Castlevania (N64)
6 (13%)
Legacy of Darkness (N64)
15 (32.6%)
Lament of Innocence (PS2)
11 (23.9%)
Curse of Darkness (PS2)
8 (17.4%)
Lords of Shadow (PS3)
6 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your favourite 3D Castlevania  (Read 19912 times)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
I'd say that it's a toss-up at the moment between Lament of Innocence and Lords of Shadow, even for their failings. I have a lot of good memories of Lament, it was my first 3D-vania, and I'm a sucker for the plotline and characters.  Lords of Shadow because once I found out what they were building up towards at the end (I wasn't convinced for a long while that it would actually be a Castlevania game in any way), I loved it.

*Waves hi.*  I've lurked on the Dungeon for a long while now but never gotten round to actually signing up, until now.  I've been a fan of Castlevania for a bit over ten years now, after, I admit, I first stumbled across Ayami Kojma's artwork for SotN.  I managed to get to play the game eventually, and have been hooked ever since.

Apologies if spamming. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:49:36 PM by tatteredseraph »
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 04:12:41 AM »
Hello tatteredseraph and welcome to the Dungeon!

We have a dearth of females here. hehehe. So please enjoy your stay. :D

Ayami Kojima's artworks clearly drew a lot of people who weren't originally fans of the series into becoming lifelong fans. I too was one of them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:15:47 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 05:02:12 AM »
LoI

1. House of Sacred remains is one of my top three songs in any CV
2. Rinaldo Gandolfi
3. Hallways. Lots of hallways :)
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:32 AM »
Thanks, Shiroi for the welcome! :)

I've just seen your sig showing that you're a cross-stitcher.  Snap! :)  I've been working on a sepia-toned version of the cover art for Symphony for the last several years on and off when I've had the time: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/s720x720/402581_2628639635869_1741596896_n.jpg
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 12:49:29 AM »
That's awesome work! It is nice to have another stitcher here.  :)

The only castlevania related cross stitch project I did was Alucard's portrait in Dawn of Sorrow since it was small enough and easy to finish.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-dos/characters/alucard-head.gif
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:52:00 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
Well it is hard to say, because so far, all of the 3d games, that are not re-enactments of "the original Castlevania" are all just "Syphony of the Night" clones, in a nutshell. I get kind of tired, seeing it. The N64 game with the wolf gets the bonus, because you also have the original events, from the previous game. For a Castlevania game in 3d to be top-notch you have to feature the "Vampire Killer", not just "Captain Hook" or "Son of Captain Hook" or "Peter Pan is a girl, fighting Captain Hook". The N64 also gets bonus points for the lack of hardware power used, compared to recent games.

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
Well it is hard to say, because so far, all of the 3d games, that are not re-enactments of "the original Castlevania" are all just "Syphony of the Night" clones, in a nutshell. I get kind of tired, seeing it......For a Castlevania game in 3d to be top-notch you have to feature the "Vampire Killer", not just "Captain Hook" or "Son of Captain Hook" or "Peter Pan is a girl, fighting Captain Hook". The N64 also gets bonus points for the lack of hardware power used, compared to recent games.

I'm not real clear on what you mean by the 3D games being re-enactments of the "original" CV nor them being SotN clones. The Peter Pan references also went over my head, and, how is a game's lack of hardware power use a plus?

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
So far my favorite 3d vania is Lords of Shadow, second will be the Nintendo 64 games. Yes I ranked the PS2 games in lowest, LOI's repetitive stage design is hard to ignore but it gets worse in Curse of Darkness which makes me almost fell asleep.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
So far my favorite 3d vania is Lords of Shadow, second will be the Nintendo 64 games. Yes I ranked the PS2 games in lowest, LOI's repetitive stage design is hard to ignore but it gets worse in Curse of Darkness which makes me almost fell asleep.

I believe LOI tried to maintain the open castle while still having the oldschool 1 by 1 stage design.
Honestly, it's not because I like MV's better, but this didn't really work for me. I guess it would be the equivalent to having the nexus like in Demon Souls, but having save points throughout the actual stages themselves. parts of the game felt a bit disconnected. I believe LOI would have been better with a format more akin to the n64 games i.e. stages that flowed on from one to the next. (even within the one castle)

COD had well designed connections between areas and interesting environments, but this was unfortunately hampered by the games overall "flat" design. There was barely any platforming involved. which is a shame because it's still one of my favourite 3D CV's but it could have been better.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
Curse of Darkness wins out for me. 8) 8) 8)

LoI overall very good! Next in line. It had some resolve, great gameplay..and liked the levels..though the soundtrack wasnt as nice as Cods. LOved the boss battles. Defintly killer. Also great replay value..unlike LoS. The storyline and ending were very intersting and unique but unusual...well.. dark and somber..  with Bernhardt defeated, but his beloved gone. No more hunts for Walter! I swear that prolouge voice was Christoper Lee!

LoS..an amazing game none the less(especially graphically)..but the storlyine very hard to follow..and make sense of at times..and though the ending was a shocker,it really seemed like a Arlington road/Pink panther ending(bad guy wins!). Made me think..why all this..just to be tricked by death and become drac. I just wasnt feeling it. The game needed far more resolved..and basically their was none(made me feel i played it for nil,only for eye candy)!

N64 Cv was good..especialy the garden/manshion level with crazy ass frank and his chainsaw..and them damn dogs..but the game's controls just plain out sucked. Very hard to manuevre. or make jumps. I'll never forget the first time i spotted the wolfman in the forest. I swear the thing scared me shitless.  But yeah..I always found my player plummeting to the revine floor, and while swearing i made it to the edge of a ledge...nope..denied. I felt like i was playing a differnt game..not  a cv one. Maybe it would ahve been better..konami can blame nintendo's lame controllers for that.

I know basically nothing about Legacy of Darkness other than Wolfboy makes his entrance.. Pretty cool i guess..but i think the gameplay was probalby similar..and N64 had the shittiest controllers ever!  So generally i will rate it the same.. Still would be cool to check out.

That leaves CoD, and while it reminded me alot of Sotn but 3d, I felt it had alot of replay value, good solid unique storyline,and though he lost his beloved Rosely...gains comfort with Julia in the end. The resolve for me was high in this game. Who doesnt like a  game where you kick drac's ass..and in the end get a girl out of it.. Hells friggin' yeah! Great story, great ending!! Definetly near the top of the list for me! if their was one thing the game coulda changed..the game coulda been longer. Love the replay value..especially kickin' ass with good ol' Trevor belmont! ;)

Hm....Next up....Poll on 2d games?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:17:24 PM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline robsam1982

• What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
I would probably have to go with Castlevania 64.
Lords of Shadow is my favourite Castlevania because of its epic style, but Castlevania 64 had an atmosphere that no other Castlevania game has come close to.
The camera sucked in C64 and I think everybody would agree with that, but in terms of style I thought it was amazing.
The soundtrack was absolutley superb, and the moments with the watering of the rose's and the statue that bleeds were particularly disturbing moments.
I just love the game, its a classic.
From R Argent's HUDL

Offline EisaKrieger

• Elemental Warrior
  • Hunter in Training
    • My Cv: Fjording of the Abyss page
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »
I've only played a little bit of each of these 3D ones so far so I'm not voting yet.

Reading reviews and seeing many opinions.  It seems that Legacy of Darkness may be the best overall while the C64 is the worst overall, BUT that C64 has the best levels of them all and apparently people didn't like changes made to them in LoD.

I got LoD first out of all of these.  Since Cv64 is virtually included in it but fixed up I've only tried it emulated while I played the actual LoD cart a while and tested it emulated.  Cv64 struck me as an awful unfinished rushed game with targeting and everything really hurting.  Even if it has the best levels I would not recommend it right off the bat to anyone.  You'll just have a repeat of history where people won't try LoD because of it.  I would suggest play LoD and after beating it, try Cv64 to see the little bit that's missing or changed.  By then you'll be used to LoD's control and all so you can better adjust to Cv64's flaws.

Also LoD supports the expansion pak for better gfx.  In emulation no detect of it comes up but the emu gives better gfx anyway.  Does Cv64 support the expansion pak?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:15:25 PM by EisaKrieger »

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »
Ah, this thread.  ;D

1. Legacy
2. Curse
3. Lament
4. C64
5. LoS2
6. LoS

I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 05:19:54 AM »
+1
First one I've ever played was Curse, so of course it's my favorite.

The Triforce of Fuckery

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 10:03:40 PM »
LoD for me. It has the best atmosphere, score, game play and a surprisingly coherent story that is full of mystery as it unravels around you. It feels like the best blend between that classic CV feel, a little Metroidvania and something unique. Yeah the camera system is broken, yeah the graphics are muddy and not up to par with some other titles released that year, but the combat was solid, exploration was solid and it was great to platform around the place. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to others who aren't die hard CV fans or gluttons for punishment, but for me I feel like it showed a promising direction for the franchise and maybe what that canceled Dreamcast CV game would have been like.

Tags:

anything