Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Forums Announcement (your opinion matters)  (Read 6389 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Forums Announcement (your opinion matters)
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
Hey Guys, Jorge the Admin, here.

As you guys may have noticed, the Forum is having some issues.  Unfortunately, the hosting people for the CV Site, and the Forum, have not responded to my E-mails regarding an update to the forum (we need some kind of SQL password thing and they have not given it to me).

I have an idea, though.

I'm thinking of setting up a new version of the Forum by actually paying for it for a few months, until the hosting guys get their act together.

The benefit of this is that an actual IT Staff member can take care of the forum set up, the restoring of the threads, etc.  as well as maintenance and updates to the Forum.  Essentially, a qualified person who can take a look if there are ever problems with the forum.

The bad side is that it's not free.  However, I can definitely spring for this, so there shouldn't be too many issues in that regard.  I might put some Google Ads in order to help with the revenue if things get silly... but I'm hoping I don't have to.

I will let you guys know more details after the USA Thanksgiving Break happens.

Right now, this forum is a Creature of Chaos. :P  Thankfully the current fanbase can post, but new registrations are not working all that well, so new people are missing out on CV news (as little as there may be at this point... but I wanna get everything set up before Rebirth and before Lords of Shadow hits).

Anyway, this is Jorge, signing off...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline discoalucard

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Re: Forums Announcement (your opinion matters)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »
In Reply To #1

Yeah this seems to be about the best course of action for now. Getting in touch with the server guys is a bit tricky from our end...

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »
Sent as pm, my bad. Jorge, though, did you receive my pm? It didn't get saved in my outbox.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:26:15 PM by Slayer »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Ralph

• Professional Lurker
  • Master Hunter
  • Hai.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Ralphy's Nonsense
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »
In Reply To #1

GOOGLE ADS?

Ad Blocker.
A wild Ralph appears.
Wild Ralph uses Teleport.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »
I'm gonna try changing the Theme the forum uses, just to see if it clears stuff up (it was suggested; I doubt it but I'll check anyway).

If the forum looks funny, pay it no mind. :p
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »
It seems some (if not most) of the problems go away when switching Themes.
It may be high time for a new Theme Creation Contest, actually.

See if you guys can spot problems if you switch your Theme to another (do not use Forum Default) on your Profile Pages.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »
I made a new skin that sort of resembles the old Forum.
It's called "CVForum (Fake)".
Choose it from your themes (yeah you can choose themes now), and it should fix up a number of the problems.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:16:16 AM »
I think that you have done excellent work Jorge!!!! I really like the new forum style!!!! I  also believe that it was a matter of time for a new update on the forum.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
Thanks, dude!
Ok, we still gotta check if there are any other bugs or problems with the skin, but this should do rather nicely for now.
I'm thinking of upgrading the forum to a new version of SMF.
On top of that, new registrations have Captcha methods, so registration should be easier.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »
Sahweet new icons.

Though why is my email address showing up when I selected the option to keep it hidden? Or is it only showing up for me under my avatar when I post and in my public profile because I'm viewing them?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »
This forum gets better and better!!!!! I really love the new icons!!!!!  ;D
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 03:29:10 AM »
@Freak:
You mean when people click on the little "Mail" icon?  You don't want that icon to show up?  I still see it.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:55:05 AM »
lovin the new theme so far nice job

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 05:39:56 AM »
I added the favicon, too. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:59:24 AM »
Yeah, the mailto icon as well as my email address in my profile. Those are s'posed ta be hidden from the public. :o
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: