Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Games that you liked at first but soon grew to dislike.  (Read 20360 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
So Trevorcard made a thread about which cv you disliked at first but then like well for me it's the opposite if anything I start to dislike them or at the very least become not too favorable with me.

I'll start off with CVA
I remember in ninth grade when I came home from a field trip my dad gave me cva I was like yes!!! But as time went by that slow frame rate killed me and now I hardly play the thing.

Another one is MoF I would really have to write how I do not like this game. But I cannot be the only one that has had this effect with this one. It just disappointed me in ways that I have not experience in cv I demand quality in cv and this game did not deliver on that part if I were to go by what cv means to me then it did not pass. 
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Castlevania Games that you liked at first but soon grew to dislike.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
IDK, maybe Bloodlines or Order of Ecclesia. Since I've seen the ending of these games they lost some of their shine. I still like them though.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
The first time I played Curse of Darkness I was disappointed by its lack of platforming, because I had previously played the N64 games and I was expecting something like that.
I didn't even bothered to finish it, I left it in the final stage.
Then, in the 2nd playthrough, it catched me with the superb soundtrack and beautiful stages, and with all the extra parts of getting every innocent devil, map percentage, secrets, chairs, and all drops, items, weapons, etc....
And now it's one of my favourite Castlevania games.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
Portrait of Ruin. Textbook case of Shiny New Game syndrome. I was hailing it as the "SOTN Killer" when it first came out. A month and a second playthrough later, its flaws became really glaring. I do still like it overall but it taught me never to get too hyped for any game.

Ditto MOF. It was fun while it lasted but you can 100% it in about three days and never have reason to touch it again.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
+1
Lords of Shadow. Saw the screens and though it looked fantastic...then I played it and it continued to go down-hill from there.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
+1
Dawn of Sorrow.

I might still play it now and then, but i've grown to rather dislike many aspects of it that at first, didn't bother me. particularly, the music grates on my nerves. I dont like the way Castlevania sounded on the DS.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
Order of Ecclesia - Still the game has great graphics, concept, Story and music, but the game-play was hard for no reason which led to needless grinding, and the Bossfights were the worst, Overpowered Encounters that take 5-10 mins of dodging and if you slip up one or twice you die.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
Simon's Quest. That was the one game I really, really, really wanted after playing it at a buddy's house. I even had that novella (Worlds Of Power series). But later in life I just stopped liking it, seeing many of its shortcomings. I don't hate it, just dislike it; I still think it's a remarkable game.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
There is honestly one installment in the series that I have, in which I rarely play (and or/absolutely will not play) was Dawn of Sorrow. Yeah, it being out for the time, rivaled SoTN just a tad, but the thing that bugged me the most about the game, was some its music, the castle layout and the stupid seals you had to do when defeating a boss.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »
MoF. I was so excited for it, even bought a 3DS XL just for it... then... aaaarghhh.... 100% in 2 nights. /boo

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:43 AM »
MoF. I was so excited for it, even bought a 3DS XL just for it... then... aaaarghhh.... 100% in 2 nights. /boo
I know that feeling. I didn't buy a 3DS precisely for MoF, but because I had hopes that we'd receive a follow up to the GBA and 3DS games.
Then I played it anyway, and it was the same as you, I started and I didn't even realized it and it was over, and there's no replay value.
Again hated the music, but loved the story, some backgrounds and the overall feel of some areas. And of course... New Trevor ♥  :P
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 02:09:07 AM »
+1
I would agree that new Trevor is awesome! ♥

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 02:19:10 AM »
Indeed he is... if you find out where he lives, please be kind to tell me his address... maybe we can go visit him together, haha!

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »
+1
I always wished for an idea in my mind to happen being a Castlevania Fan. A Metroidvania-Style multiplayer and go screw around around Dracula's lawn like the old man he is. Then my dreams came true when E3 2010 came along announcing Castlevania Harmony of Despair. It felt strange at first that I wouldn't be destroying all of Dracula's Gnomes as a whole lawn but a square metre each of six metres squared but I liked the Idea. When the full game came out... I haven't seen such a poorly done mash up of all the post SotN game in one. I mean, Kirby for NDS is the same by recycling NotD sprites for the future installments and that really was not my main concern but why is a game doing so poor in quality systems when handhelds and the first playstation demonstrated the best performance? You know how you hit an enemy with elemental weapons and you can see the fire, ice, light, dark sparks in the previous games? It used a boring "smash damage" hit-spark from DoS. Was that suppose to take RAM if they implemented that on the game? And the sounds when hitting the enemies? So unsatisfying and weak that you knew you needed a friend to beat that game. If they wanted to reuse older content to make something new, at least live up to its greatness but personally, it killed the atmospheric vibe of the game. Simon, Trevor and Richter shouldn't even feel bad for their knee arthritis for god how a Vampire like Alucard moved so slow like the rest of the roster in the game and if you wanted to move fast, sacrifice all your ATK, DEF, INT and CON for Luck because you're gonna need that for Sonic Boots... AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO' THAT!... Time... Time... TIME! Why was TIME a gameplay factor in the game? What was going to happen in those 30 minutes? Was I suppose to save somebody? Did Peach get kidnapped by Horny Dracula for being in the wrong game and time attack the level? Did Naked Snake planted C3 explosives to 30:00 in the Castle? Alot of the music in my opinion was a "not-to-shabby" remake except for After Confessions in Level 2. Overall, HoD killed my dreams for a Multiplayer Castlevania. I hope there is a new HoD in the future where they do it legit with a nice budget.

To be honest, most Castlevania games look better in trailers than they do in gameplay. Seriously, that needs to stop. Get your shit together, Konami. Love You~

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
None. They first impression was always the one that I ended with. If the first minutes of the game are good, then the rest probably will be too. Always the case for me, even though I know that some developers get lazy next to the end of development sometimes.

Tags: