Poll

Which one is your favourite exploration Castlevania game?

Symphony of the Night (PSX)
12 (48%)
Circle of the Moon (GBA)
3 (12%)
Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
2 (8%)
Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
1 (4%)
Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
0 (0%)
Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
1 (4%)
Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
4 (16%)
Mirror of Fate (3DS)
1 (4%)
Lament of Innocence (PS2)
0 (0%)
Curse of Darkness (PS2)
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest (NES)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your favourite MetroidVania  (Read 20187 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
Harmony of Dissonance.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »
It seems that SotN will be the champion with no problem.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
It's a toss-up between AoS and OoE for me, but I voted for OoE. :/

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »
I'm surprised AoS didn't receive any vote.
And I thought MoF would receive at least 1, from someone who likes the MS universe.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
Oh, and can please some mod modify the original question?
It is incomplete, I forgot to complete it when I was writing the games...

It says "Which one is your favourite exploration"...
...when it must say "Which one is your favourite exploration Castlevania game?".

Thanks.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 01:31:33 AM »
+2
Edited and voted, Pfil-chan :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
Thanks!  :)
What game did you vote?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 02:43:17 AM »
He voted for SotN.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »
Another vote for the champion, it seems  :)

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
+1
Aria of Sorrow all the way for me, Pfil!

I replay it often (mostly during holiday flights!) and I just adore it's mystical-like atmosphere: the washed out colours and palette, it's mysterious storyline and characters, areas with fewer enemies contributing a sense of desolation, the at times eerie and disjointed music that enhances the mood and level of immersion.  This is not the grandeur or richness of Symphony but my goodness it has a unique atmosphere, and one that deeply appeals to me.

I could gush over the Tactical Soul system.  It's ingenious from every angle: the way it was worked into the story with the castle monsters and their progenitor reborn; the brilliant, uncomplicated control and selection mechanisms in the game menu; the sheer number and scope of available souls--creating not only a novel means of advancement through the castle, brilliantly tied into events and Soma's progress, but offering weapon and status enhancements too; random drops set with careful deliberation to encourage maximum replayability.

It rarely frustrates, it oozes class, and breeds reward and satisfaction.

There is filler of course, but IGA and his team created something magical.  What helped it considerably I feel, and where I think it's successor failed, was the aforementioned atmosphere and the game's outstanding castle design.  I find it flows with brilliance.  Not merely the simple 'stacked'/copy-pasted rooms of Dawn or Portait, as level-design began to stagnate and fall away.  Ecclesia's final castle does Castlevania level design at its absolute worst, years after this gem.

If I were to be critical of Aria though, perhaps it feels on-rails at times.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »
Just look at all of those blank "of" blank titles.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »
Aria of Sorrow all the way for me, Pfil!

I replay it often (mostly during holiday flights!) and I just adore it's mystical-like atmosphere: the washed out colours and palette, it's mysterious storyline and characters, areas with fewer enemies contributing a sense of desolation, the at times eerie and disjointed music that enhances the mood and level of immersion.  This is not the grandeur or richness of Symphony but my goodness it has a unique atmosphere, and one that deeply appeals to me.

I could gush over the Tactical Soul system.  It's ingenious from every angle: the way it was worked into the story with the castle monsters and their progenitor reborn; the brilliant, uncomplicated control and selection mechanisms in the game menu; the sheer number and scope of available souls--creating not only a novel means of advancement through the castle, brilliantly tied into events and Soma's progress, but offering weapon and status enhancements too; random drops set with careful deliberation to encourage maximum replayability.

It rarely frustrates, it oozes class, and breeds reward and satisfaction.

There is filler of course, but IGA and his team created something magical.  What helped it considerably I feel, and where I think it's successor failed, was the aforementioned atmosphere and the game's outstanding castle design.  I find it flows with brilliance.  Not merely the simple 'stacked'/copy-pasted rooms of Dawn or Portait, as level-design began to stagnate and fall away.  Ecclesia's final castle does Castlevania level design at its absolute worst, years after this gem.

If I were to be critical of Aria though, perhaps it feels on-rails at times.
You get from AoS the same as myself!  :)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »
Just look at all of those blank "of" blank titles.
Both PS2 titles, DoS and MoF... I feel sorry for them, not even 1 vote :(

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »
Did you expect people to vote for MoF?  :P
Wahahahahahahahaha!

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 02:02:48 AM »
I don't think MoF's developers would vote for MoF.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Tags: