Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Imagine if they made a Castlevania with a completely modern anime art style  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
The characters would be all uguu~ and shit. It'd be awful.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Imagine if they made a Castlevania with a completely modern anime art style
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
It would be very bland that's for sure. One of the main reasons why I'm so attracted to late 70's, 80's and early 90's anime art styles is that the characters have 'character'. You look at them and they stand out from everyone else. You can even see background extras and they have their own unique look and style about them. Effort went into creating those characters. That is not the case with modern anime. Not by a long shot. They almost all look like carbon copies of one another and have almost no personality to boot. They don't stand out from the rest, instead they all look like customised clones. Change their eye, hair and skin colour but the face is the same shape. The effort that went into creating characters in the past is simply not being done now. And it leaves much to be desired of the industry. Though that is not to say all companies do this. There is the odd anime I've seen that manages to interest me, but unfortunately, those works are so far and few in-between.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Succubus

• Head Priestess of the Monkey Cult
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Re: Imagine if they made a Castlevania with a completely modern anime art style
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »
There are a lot of different styles in modern anime. It's not all moe waifu stuff. But I feel Castlevania art is at its best when it's a mixture of Japanese and Western styles. I don't especially care for the previous times when it went full-on anime like with Rondo, Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin. It doesn't really matter if it looks like modern anime or old school anime, neither suits Castlevania, imo.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
How about games that started off anime but then shifted into a more gothic European style?

Sotn is really the only game that fits that weird criteria but there you go for an example.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:50:27 AM by Super Waffle »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
the art style used in Sotn was good. It was the first time we ever saw the works of Ayami Kojima in our favorite series and it worked. Unfortunately for the rest of the series nobody was proof-reading her work and thus we have characters with very narrow feet, large bodies, small heads, and androgynous faces with little to no variation. Her choice in outfits (looking at you Issac) leaves much to be desired as well :P :P :P

Overall I feel Kojima's art style has become a bit stagnant and the series could used some fresh talent. And not someone's who's just going to copy Kojima's style but bring his/her own to the table.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
The CotM artist was pretty great.
As was the OoE artist.

I'm not sure if it's Ayami Kojima, but whomever is doing the portraits and action shots of characters for Grimoire of Souls is doing a good job.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
I'm not sure if it's Ayami Kojima, but whomever is doing the portraits and action shots of characters for Grimoire of Souls is doing a good job.

Except for that one shot of Charlotte's hand. I still want to know what is up with that.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
The Dracula XX dude should do the next Castlevania, yo. It pains me we didn't get more of that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
imagine if they made a good castlevania game

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

I believe this is the one thing everyone can agree on.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards

Are you implying Super Symphony of the Rondo Bloodlines IV isn't a good Castlevania game?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
That sounded like a mouthful, lol.

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
i mean not grimoire of souls, not mirror of fate, not harmony of despair, not judgment, not dracula x chronicles

and konami need to explain how "genya arikado" is an "iconic character" in the franchise

even skeleton medalist is more iconic
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:37:46 PM by LuxKiller65 »

Tags:

anything