Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Net Neutrality Dead in the USA, prepare for inferior, more expensive internet  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/technology/fcc-new-net-neutrality-rules.html?_r=2

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.848178-FCC-Turns-Around-On-Net-Neutrality-With-Faster-Lane-Rules-Update

At least the EU is keeping Net Neutrality from the looks of it. The US government is doing a terrible job of even pretending that it cares about its citizens now. Putting a professional briber ("lobbyist") for the Cable companies in charge of the FCC, why don't you just put Dracula in charge of security at a blood bank?

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
And Brazil gets an Internet Bill of Rights, anyone else starting to feel like the US is becoming more 3rd world?
?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Certain freedoms are being sacrificed, to give the corporations and/or special interest groups more power.

And since the latest SupremeCourt (which is mostly bought - Thomas, Roberts, and Scalia specifically) has declared that "more money = you matter more" (combined with "Corporations are People"), very slowly rights are being undermined.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Since everyone's obsessed with reboots nowadays why not get all of America together and "reboot" the damned government. It's in the constitution therefore the current government would not be able to legally stop it. And if they try to do it illegally then that would only prove the peoples' point and the public would call for greater/immediate action.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Since everyone's obsessed with reboots nowadays why not get all of America together and "reboot" the damned government. It's in the constitution therefore the current government would not be able to legally stop it. And if they try to do it illegally then that would only prove the peoples' point and the public would call for greater/immediate action.

We are in desperate need of untainted blood in the White House and on Capitol Hill. The problem is the damn patriot act. They knew what they were doing when they passed it. Now anybody doing what you suggest is slandered to the point of being discredited, arrested on bullshit charges or they are just killed. Plenty of people have tried. The American people believe they are terrorists because CNN says they are. The levels of control that need to be broken down in order to wake people up and extract them from the matrix are many. Maybe a few too many...

I do what i can and if i manage to wake a few people up, i feel like i did what i could. This information can actually change peoples lives. If you understand agenda 21 you can start to add supplements and change your diet. Knowing what to add and what to eliminate can save you death from cancer and give you a better quality of life. And we all want that.

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I feel its almost a matter of time before certain internet "packages" start appearing at Comcast.

Oh, you don't want us to slow down all of your online games to the point of them being barely playable? Well you need to upgrade to our online gaming connection package for an extra $10 a month.

Whoops, did we totally fuck up your access to Hulu and Netflix? Then I guess you need to add our Streaming Media package to your internet connection for $10 a month.

Also I believe President Obama has been a perfectly fine President, considering the amount of obstructionism he's had to endure.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
I feel its almost a matter of time before certain internet "packages" start appearing at Comcast.

Ooohh... That's happening in my country. We pay the highest internet fee for the slowest connection in the region. Bravo USA, welcome to the developing world!

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I don't have any sympathy for the American public anymore. The US is truly a democracy and the public is getting what it wanted and voted for all along. A country controlled by wealthy people who pay no taxes and are beholden to corporations and their interests. This is just another link in the chain. People have been stupidly voting against their own interests for decades and this is where it's led.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
This country is getting far away from a democracy. In fact, because of all the laws and rulings that are giving preferential treatment to rich corporations we are moving farther and farther towards a corporate oligarchy.
The issue with net neutrality is another sickening symptom of what is happening. Like the good doctor I have no sympathy for "we the people" because too many of us have forgotten the power we hold.
"Stuff and things."

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
In a world where the net is slowly being integrated with everyday life, Net Neutrality should be a basic human right.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
In a world where the net is slowly being integrated with everyday life, Net Neutrality should be a basic human right.

Yeah, BUT, corporate money controls everything so.... :P

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
INteresting development: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-29/news/sns-rt-us-usa-internet-fcc-20140429_1_u-s-fcc-net-neutrality-rules-open-internet

Apparently the head of the FCC has rethought his position.

He's just saying what people want to hear. The guy was a lobbyist (aka professional briber) for Cable companies for years, and apparently still works for them now. There are things we can do, but not much http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/11350-The-FCCs-Net-Neutrality-Sellout-A-Wakeup-Call-And-A-Slap-In-The-Face

There was a white house petition asking Obama to direct him to reclassify the internet to a "common carrier" like phone service, to insure net neutrality. But the white house statement just dances around the issue https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/restore-net-neutrality-directing-fcc-classify-internet-providers-common-carriers/5CWS1M4P

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
This country is getting far away from a democracy. In fact, because of all the laws and rulings that are giving preferential treatment to rich corporations we are moving farther and farther towards a corporate oligarchy.
The issue with net neutrality is another sickening symptom of what is happening. Like the good doctor I have no sympathy for "we the people" because too many of us have forgotten the power we hold.

Net Neutrality is a perfect example for why off year elections matter just as much as Presidential elections. Democrats just do not turn out and vote in midterms.

There's very little a good President can do when Congress is incapable of acting in any way. Hell the Senate just voted to increase the minimum wage in America to $10.10 an hour over the course of the next couple of years and even though a majority voted YES the Republicans, naturally, filibustered the vote, so it still failed because it wasn't a filibuster proof Super Majority of votes.

Because you have people like, let's take Marsha Blackburn who is on the House Budget Committee and from my state of Tennessee. She is against raising the minimum wage, and in an argument last year she used an example of how she only made 2.00 an hour at her first job and that wage was just right and taught her to value her interaction with customers.

Well she apparently forgot about inflation because for her age, if you assume her first job was when she was 16 then her $2.00 an hour wage for the time would be the equivalent of making $14.00 an hour today due to inflation.

So she used an example of making twice the minimum wage as a reason to not raise the minimum wage, and she'll probably be re-elected again.

Congress has approval ratings in the single digits, yet and incumbents have over an 80% chance of being re-elected.

Its not that democracy doesn't work or the US is moving away from it, it's that the American people at large are apathetic, stupid, and lazy.

Tags: