Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Star Wars Expanded Universe is no more.  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:56:04 PM »
Today Star Wars EU fans got a chance to quote another sci-fi franchise, Planet of the Apes in saying
"YOU MANIACS, YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"
http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

The Star Wars Expanded Universe: Past, Present, and Future

The old Star Wars EU material is now "Star Wars Legends", though some characters/elements may be brought over into the new canon, it's not clear how many, it's basically up to a new committee at Disney/Lucasfilm who will oversee the creation of all Star Wars tie-in material going forward to make sure it's part of one cohesive canon.

So, any Star Wars EU fans here? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:57:49 PM by Ratty »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Star Wars Expanded Universe is no more.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »
personally i am indifferent towards the expanded universe. yeah there are some interesting stories & characters here n there but its all just "whatever" to me. i dont hate it, but im not a fan of it either so this news is pretty much a non-issue for me

just give us real info for episode vii already~!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »
Well the only real good thing about losing the Star Wars EU is that the Yuuzhan Vong race goes out the window with it. They were a bad idea because they are in essence the Borg of the star Wars universe though not a direct knock-off. My bro hated it, hated the idea and hates the person who concocted such a travesty, all for the sake of future SW EU stories. The Borg concept should've just stayed in Star Trek and left out of Star Wars. What he did like was the Star Wars book trilogy featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn; Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising & The Last Command. He felt those three books were the best out of the ST EU.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:57:54 AM »
I don't care about the extended universe. I only care about the movies and yes I hate Jar Jar.
I'm with crisis on bringing episode 7 info. The hush is too great.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »
Kinda like others are saying I don't care either way. Before episode 7 was announced Star Wars ended at episode 6 to me. The EU has some cool things but at the same time it has a lot of dumb things too.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
+1
KOTOR will always exist in some form and that's all that really matters.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
Part of me's upset but then again... I haven't exactly been invested in the post-Jedi EU ever since they killed Chewie.  :-\

KOTOR will always exist in some form and that's all that really matters.

And Republic Commando. Well, hopefully!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
Technically Republic Commando is not part of the SW EU as it deals with the events of the clone wars and not happening after episode 6, but don't quote me on that one. It was a good game and I liked the concept of an elite squad that were uniquely, genetically outfitted to be the best of the best. The game got a bit tricky near the end but overall it was a fun playthrough. My only complaints about it is that they never showed the Vanator class Star destroyer at the end of the game when you evacuate Kashyyyk when the Empire is first born out of the Old Republic. Also another complaint was that the weapons were a little too limited. What happened to all those nifty guns from the Dark Forces titles? They would have been right at home in RC.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything