Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's the big deal with Game of Thrones?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
What's the big deal with Game of Thrones?
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »
I'm gonna watch the first season in a few days...

Took me forever since I never got a straight answer when I ask people "What makes it good?"

Can you guys help me out? is it worth investing my time into?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Re: What's the big deal with Game of Thrones?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
I haven't watched much of the show, but the books seem alright. I enjoyed the first one plenty, definitely read that if you have the chance. But I'm kinda losing interest in A Clash of Kings, the second novel.

I think the way to evaluate it is that it is not a fantasy novel in the sense of The Hobbit. To me, it feels like the real world (older times, mind you) with some fantasy in it, rather than fantasy world with some of the real in it.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »
To me, it feels like the real world (older times, mind you) with some fantasy in it, rather than fantasy world with some of the real in it.

I can summon this sentence up in one word; Skyrim. That's what Game of Thrones reminds me of. I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but the real world aspect coupled with a hint of fantasy here and there, conjures up images of Skyrim for me. Even though Skyrim is fairly new while GoT has been out in print for quite some time, the TV series just seems to remind me of it. It must be the whole Northern warrior thing...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »
ive never read the books (i will one day), and i kinda got into the series late (around mid-season 2), but ever since, ive been hooked. that always happens with me; when theres a tv show thats "all the rage" and everyone i know is watching, i usually dont hop on it until later on in the series life. like with The Walking Dead, great show but i didnt start watching until like season 3 (and have since caught up on all the previous episodes). same with Breaking Bad. i dunno, its just the way i am lol

the show somewhat reminds me of a live-action Final Fantasy Tactics (political intrigue, great battle scenes, deep character motivations, etc.). i loved FFT & theres a lot of similar elements here n there.. that may just be my own interpretation tho

but yeah, if uoy like the medieval setting mixed with some fantasy & have the stomach for heterosexual/homosexual nudity here n there (yeah its all there, this show holds nothing back), zombies, human sacrifice (from babies to the elderly & everything in between, no exceptions), gratuitous battles, DRAGONS, incest, excellent costumes and even better acting, then give it a shot!

Joffrey Baratheon Your fingers or your tongue
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:18:52 PM by crisis »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
GoT is Fire Emblem and I like Fire Emblem. More so Fire Emblem 4.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:13:53 AM »
Yeah, if you wanna compare it to a videogame, it's probably the closest to the PSX "Final Fantasy Tactics" and Nintendo's "Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy War".

Take all of the reasons above, as they're my opinion as well:
-compelling characters
-a sprawling world
-a hint of magic/fantasy
-lots of political issues (who rules the Iron Throne, who is the successor, which land belongs to whom)

...and like in Fire Emblem, anyone can die.  Don't get too attached to a character you like.

Go watch the show as it's worth it.  It is not hype.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:35:04 AM »
Yeah I didn't see the show until my cable company had free premium channel weekend where they give you a channel like HBO or Showtime for free from Friday to Monday.

Coincidentally enough, that just happened to be the weekend of the Game of Thrones season 4 premiere. How about that...

So we watched a marathon of seasons 1 through 3 pretty much all weekend from Friday to Sunday night and fell in love with the show and after that weekend was over we switched our premium channel from Showtime to HBO for Game of Thrones.

The Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics comparisons are pretty spot on. Lots and lots and lots of political maneuvering and lots of death.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »
Its also very well done in most areas. The acting is generally good, the sets and costume design all look more or less perfect, and while its not a hugely effects driven show, when they do need good visual effects they deliver. My personal favorite thing about the show is how divisive the cast is. Almost every character (almost) has someone who loves them and someone who hates them in equal measure. I've gotten into real life arguments over who the best ruler would be.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
That South Park episode lied to me.

I was hoping for lots of wieners but the show is a damn boob fest.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »
I read the first hundred pages or so of the first book (had to return it after that) and it seemed alright, but not extraordinary. I found it pretty funny that people talked about how "dark" it was, but it was like Sesame Street after you've read Berserk. Basically from what I can tell there's a lot of sex and violence, but presented in such a way that people can claim to be attracted to the series primarily for other reasons. So the "Uh no I follow it for the plot" crowd probably accounts for a large chunk of its popularity. But mostly I'd say it's just that people like fantasy stories, and for budgetary reasons you don't see those in a high quality TV show too often.

PS- I assume the sex is more graphic in the show than in the book though. The one scene I read was pretty glossed over, though since it was between a brother and sister I don't know if that's because Martin was trying not to squick his audience. Though there was also threats of a relationship between another brother and sister pair, kind of a running theme. Makes sense considering the book is about royalty and noble families etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:01:05 PM by Ratty »

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
By the way, in case any of you weren't aware..

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »
Slightly off topic but it's kinda weird reading Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy War on a non Fire Emblem forum XD

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
+1
I will talk about FE whenever I can sneak a talk about it...
...however, I will say that I'm mostly familiar with Sword of Fire (the one with Lyndis) and Awakening (the very latest which I've got... 500+ hours on... >> ).

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
The only reason I asked first is because I find Dr. Who kinda silly yet It's hyped like it's the damn messiah of sci-fi entertainment.

I just needed a good amount of opinions to decypher if it's all hype of is it that good.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags:

anything