Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 147571 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
Squidward and Machetespaghetti were the same person, and both have been banned for sockpuppeting/trolling. Everything's back to normal, friends, we can get back to the discussion without worrying about any trolling nonsense :)

So I was right. ;D

OK BACK ON TOPIC NOW,

How many think that IGA is going to make something that resembles castlevania with his new studio or something new altogether?

Either way i still hope its a metroidvania style game.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
^Me...

I think that IGA will follow the way of Keiji Inafune with MN9 and his other game (I can´t remember the name, but resembles Megaman ZX and ZX Advent) creating a game where he is good and passionate.

I can imagine a new trailer of the project (like the MN9 one), with real Castlevania music (don´t need to be an original remix, just something in the vibe of Castlevania, like Dusk Falls from Bloodrayne Betrayal :P), 2D gameplay, leveling up, minor RPG elements... ending with a petition to suport his project...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:30:06 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »
I was surprised how coy IGA was in that interview when he was asked about doing a kickstarter. IGN's announcement about him leaving seemed to imply the other day that he'd be announcing something at the GDC, though they could've just been jumping the gun. But he has to have something lined up and soon, I mean he has bills to pay and a family to support too.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »
Best news i've heard in a while. Hopefully Konami will keep making Big budget Castlevanias...and Iga making sure Metroidvanias dont die out.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »
http://castlevania.neo-romance.net/cv/magazine/egm07.jpg

http://castlevania.neo-romance.net/cv/magazine/egm03.jpg

Well, now he has the perfect opportunity to use the "Beyond Castlevania" ideas he had back in 2003, like a Matrix-style Dracula's Castle, and a Dracula Dating Sim.

...reading through the whole scan of that Lament story fills me with both a ton of nostalgia and a bit of sadness to see how excited everyone was for Lament. And that was 11 years ago. ;____;

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
I've read all of those articles that were scanned on that site yesterday. Oh, that strong pull of nostalgia...

Oh I read this commentary: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/03/castlevania-to-become-kickstarter-vania-iga-departs-konami/

The best part for me was this quote:
Imagine the man behind one of your biggest franchises just takes the ball and leaves, no doubt to make a game to serve as a direct competitor to your products. Even if you two part ways on amicable terms (as opposed to the unceremonious breakup between Inafune and Capcom) you’ll be scrambling to fill that void and remind gamers who the real house of Castlevania is, right? Maybe this will lead to something of a 2D Castlevania resurgence as Konami scrambles to fill the void. We could be looking at dueling studios, striving to provide the best action game with whips and Draculas they could. Or maybe they’ll just pull a Capcom and look the other way, not paying IGA’s new studio any mind one way or another. Either way, IGA surely has big things planned and his departure should bring about awesome announcements in the coming months.

And I fully agree on it.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
One of the best news of this week.

Everyone gets what they want.

It almost like Konami don't want anything to do with Castlevania in 2D anymore. Well... if they don't care, so do I, it's not like I still like this series as I did in the past. I'll certainly keep an eye in what Iga will be doing and will support him. I'll continue to keep an eye at Castlevania too, to see if it can get on the track (aka something that I can actually play and like, instead of LoS).

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
+1
Exactly.

Competition benefits customers more than a monopoly.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
It's amazing and hilarious how much has happened here in just a few hours since I checked last! X-D

How many think that IGA is going to make something that resembles castlevania with his new studio or something new altogether?

I do too!  In the article, Iga's mention of Inafune, and the way he answered the question about doing a kickstarter...both strike me as a sort of hint to his plans for the future.  By not directly saying anything, it doesn't ruin the surprise for the fans.  I mean, wouldn't it be more exciting to discover a kickstarter or something like that as opposed to being directly told what he was gonna do?

Of course, he may have to get his resources built up too...not able to say or do anything immediately since he recently left Konami.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
I don't know why anyone has any faith left in Konami... Maybe if Kojima Studios took over the series they could make a good Castlevania..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:54:29 PM by knightmere »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
While I loved MGS, I don't seem to have the same love everyone seems to have for Kojima.

And I have no doubt Iga will do more Metroidvania type games. I can see him trying more 3d games though. It's something I'm sure he'll want to get "right." Although... I did really like Curse of Darkness, aside from the story, I felt it was pretty solid.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Exactly.

Competition benefits customers more than a monopoly.
Now we have the likely scenario of IGA making the kind of games fans want while Konami can do what they please with Castlevania.

Who's ready for the inevitable MOBA?

:(

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:16 PM »
I don't know why anyone has any faith left in Konami... Maybe if Kojima Studios took over theh series they could make a good Castlevania..

Wait?! What!? Kojima Productions will always devote all of their money making Metal Gear and nothing else.

And I have no doubt Iga will do more Metroidvania type games. I can see him trying more 3d games though. It's something I'm sure he'll want to get "right."

IGA is an advocate of 2D. He said so before in a previous GDC.
As for him doing 3D, he might try it, but it would be far into the future.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
OR they can continue LoS. Which, for me, is the same as staying dead. I'm done with LoS, I really need something new, FAST.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
+1
quality takes time, maedhros-sama...

Tags: