Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70924 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 06:34:19 AM »
+1
Thanks. It is a pretty gnarly roll, isn't it?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Not every particle should be flying across the screen. It just looks 'hyper' silly that way. Think about the source of acceleration and force that caused the effect for each case individually.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
Pretty damn good, I'd say, as shown with the mud women and Wall Widow (even though it glitches after the stopwatch).
Haunted Castle - Debug Room [Stopwatch Test]
What the hell he's posting another damn video when will he post something other than a vi-hey, look, the stopwatch works.
This is going to be a fun one! ;D

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
Not every particle should be flying across the screen. It just looks 'hyper' silly that way. Think about the source of acceleration and force that caused the effect for each case individually.

Who said I wasn't going for hyper silly? This IS Haunted Castle we're talking about. Plenty of cheese to go around!

But in seriousness, I know. I'm a little hesitant to make a ton of different particle objects and take up more space than I may need to in the game (since right now there are only two particle objects which are randomized at creation and created multiple times), and making one object take care of all that needs to be taken care of is impossible. It's really just a matter of finding the movement randomizations that "work" for the particle weight.

And really? I post a video with your stair jumping in it and not a word from you?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
Nothing to write home about, here, but now that the stopwatch works, I can finally start working on the other subweapons. Got the Torch working this morning, but I need a little input on it.

I can't quite decide if it's too OP or not. It uses up four hearts - and the stopwatch I've adjusted to use six to accommodate this one - and it's an almost guaranteed instant kill for any normal enemy that walks into the flames. The torch, while airborne, can briefly set any enemy it hits on fire, but only a single flame burst instead of a flame bath like when it touches the ground. Given what it does (and boy, does it do it well) and its rather small heart cost, I want to say it's cheap, but since I still plan on making hearts hard to come by (even with using candles and torches, which I plan on keeping spread out and more realistically placed). I don't know if that balances it out or not.

Also, worked on the fragment/particle physics, uzo. Second .gif shows them now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:04:23 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
Nothing to write home about, here, but now that the stopwatch works, I can finally start working on the other subweapons. Got the Torch working this morning, but I need a little input on it.

I can't quite decide if it's too OP or not. It uses up four hearts - and the stopwatch I've adjusted to use six to accommodate this one - and it's an almost guaranteed instant kill for any normal enemy that walks into the flames. The torch, while airborne, can briefly set any enemy it hits on fire, but only a single flame burst instead of a flame bath like when it touches the ground. Given what it does (and boy, does it do it well) and its rather small heart cost, I want to say it's cheap, but since I still plan on making hearts hard to come by (even with using candles and torches, which I plan on keeping spread out and more realistically placed). I don't know if that balances it out or not.

Also, worked on the fragment/particle physics, uzo. Second .gif shows them now.
I would take out that minor exploding white sprite. That sprite would seem to me that is something for more of a screen clear. The torch looks cool but, I don't see the difference between that or using holy water. You need to make different so it stands apart from the holy water more...I knew the particles would look cool..lol

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
That's just the hit collision spark from weapon contact. I just forgot to remove that snippet from the subweapon's collision code. Easy fix.

And how would I do that, though? The torch originally had two-directional spread fire, and the bomb is identical to the holy water. If I'm keeping both of them for the sake of accuracy and nostalgia, it isn't going to be easy differentiating them from traditional subweapons. If I make big changes to one or the other (let's assume I do it to the bomb), would that justify this one, since there IS no holy water in the game?

I also plan on making stage elements which can be destroyed or altered by the torch's fire, if that helps. Like, burning a tree and climbing its branches or setting a wooden support beam ablaze which gives way to the platform above and crushes enemies below it.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »
Actually, the bomb is a bit different from the holy water. It produces a single tall flame. It's most similar to the Sacred Flame from CV2 only it's animation is waaay faster. If you want to differentiate it further, you might want to do something with how the bomb is deployed. For example, when Simon throws it have him lob it with an underhand toss and have it roll a short distance before it explodes. If you want to use something more realistic for the explosion in place of a vertical blast use a realistic radial explosion that does a single strong hit to nearby objects that weaker the farther away from the center of the blast it is.

Your version of the torch does seem a bit overpowered, but having the hearts be more rare may offset that enough to warrant it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:39:52 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »
You definitely can have all three of those sub-weapons in the game, just change 'em up a bit for originality. The torch can have the same effect as CV 2's sacred flame; in that in creates a pillar of fire in a single spot. The Bomb could function as Inccubus has stated. And The holy water can just do what it has done since Rondo and that's create a path of fire that engulfs enemies in it's path. As long as they function differently it should be no prob.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
I like the bomb idea, I'll use that.

But I really kind of want the torch to stay similar to how it is now, just because I planned on having it be capable of destroying stage elements (such as burning an old wooden support to reach a platform or crush enemies). The only reason it's as OP as it is is because the flames' generation is randomized in creation and each flame deals damage. It's an easy enough fix to just lower the damage amount they deal considerably, which I've already done. But just on its involvement in stage platforming, I want the torch the remain as-is if I can help it. To elaborate more on what I mean by that, (spoiler alert), I plan on having the Rock Golem's battle arena be large to begin with, and be cut by a third after you must crush his hands by burning ceiling supports, making the arena smaller and thus more challenging.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
I planned on having it be capable of destroying stage elements (such as burning an old wooden support to reach a platform or crush enemies). The
Now that's a interesting idea. Interactive backgrounds...I like that idea.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
+2
Pasting this from the video description (since this is embedded):

Well, after six straight hours of programming today, this is what I've gotten done. There are a few obvious works-in-progress, such as the Wraiths. With all this done, the only things I really have to get done now are Medusa and bugfixes on a few enemies (like the skeletons that died in one or two hits when they should have died in three, or the Ghost Skulls that - for whatever reason - didn't show up), which is great. I'm pretty damn happy with today.

Haunted Castle - Cemetery Stage Concept

EDIT: Shit. I thought I cut that first segment out. Well, you can see Simon bugged out from what should have been a falling death, hence the soft reset. Son of a bitch!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:56:11 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
Very impressive and smooth so far.

Some of the graphics could use a tweaking in colors though, to be more explicit what is and isn't solid ground.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that. I should probably turn my desktop monitor's brightness down some, lol.

Also, I want to run the boss idea I have for Medusa by the forum, see if it's worth pursuing.

Rather than have her be on the ground like she traditionally is, I thought about making her bust through the three frames in the background of the last room. Have her torso alternate between them, and the other two will contain her tail which will strike in several different attacks. Her body's attacks will consist of her usual routine; petrification beam (may or may not actually petrify, but I should be able to get that programmed without terribly much effort), snake summon, Medusa Head spawn, etc.

Any good?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:26:48 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
Haunted Castle - Cemetery Stage Concept
@4:28
So...did you accidentally paste the small heart's falling code for the pot roast or something?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags:

anything