Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: No one mentioned this?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »
Yesterday was Bela Lugosi's Birthday.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:40 AM »
I wasn't aware or I would have. That's pretty neat. We all owe a lot to Lugosi for his iconic and influential portrayal of our favorite vampire. I did know (thanks to twitter) that yesterday was the 20th Anniversary of Final Fantasy VI's US release as well. Neat coincidence.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
20 years of Kefka and Lugosi... and yet I dont have played FF6 for more than 5 hours each time I tried and never watched a Dracula movie with Lugosi.  :-\
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
Lugosi defined Dracula, Lelygax. All the stereotypical "Blaugh, BLAUGH, I vant to drink your blood!" vampire are caricatures of Lugosi's portrayal of the big man himself. In fact, Lugosi would walk around in costume, even when the movie wasn't rolling, and just go up to mirrors and other people saying "I am Dracula."

Guy was a boss. Happy Bela-ted birthday, Mr. Lugosi.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
Plan 9 from Outer Space was his last movie if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I am.

Lugosi was the man! I saw Dracula when I was around 7 years old and it scared the crap out of me. But it gave me the obsession with Dracula that I've never been able to shake!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline EisaKrieger

• Elemental Warrior
  • Hunter in Training
    • My Cv: Fjording of the Abyss page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:07 PM »
White Zombie is a great movie with him.  The Vampire Bat is alright.  I've only seen clips of his Dracula, mostly on youtube.  In the scene where he wakes his wives and they come out of their coffins, there's a little bit where a honey bee comes out of a miniature coffin.  Was that bit in the original movie or did someone insert it to bee funny?

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
White Zombie is a great movie with him.  The Vampire Bat is alright.  I've only seen clips of his Dracula, mostly on youtube.  In the scene where he wakes his wives and they come out of their coffins, there's a little bit where a honey bee comes out of a miniature coffin.  Was that bit in the original movie or did someone insert it to bee funny?

It was in there, along with armadillos for some reason. I guess they just thought it would look creepy and weird, which apparently it did for people in the 30s.
But yeah Lugosi played Dracula hundreds of times on stage but only twice on film, in 1931's "Dracula" and then in "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein". He did have one or two turns as other vampires though. His 1931 appearance was enough to cement him as the unquestioned definitive Dracula, despite imitators to the throne like John Carradine, until Christopher Lee came along about 30 years later.

Plan 9 from Outer Space was his last movie if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I am.

Lugosi was the man! I saw Dracula when I was around 7 years old and it scared the crap out of me. But it gave me the obsession with Dracula that I've never been able to shake!

Plan 9 was kind-of his last movie. There were a few minutes of silent footage of Lugosi taken by Ed Wood before he died. These shots of Lugosi were incorporated into the movie (one of them 2 or 3 times iirc) the rest of which was shot after his death. The actor who played Lugosi's character for the rest of the movie famously looks nothing like him and just holds his cape over the bottom half of his face.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:34:11 PM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything