Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1836435 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2955 on: June 15, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
+3
Sorry, but this is not true.
CV2 was only the second (major) release in the series. There were no series to speak of. There were no standard to speak of, except for the "some guy hunting creatures of the dark with the whip; final boss is Dracula". And Vampire Killer, which was "just a port of FDS Castlevania" was very removed from original game in terms of gameplay and even genre. So, basically there were TWO game styles for the future to choose from and CV2 was an attempt to merge them.

I'M sorry, but this is completely wrong. The second game in any series IS judged by a standard. The standard set forth by the first game. There has never been a sequel EVER that wasn't judged in comparison to it's predecessor. And the MSX Akuma-jou Dracula is as different from CV2 as it's NES counterpart. VK is essentially the same game as CV1 with some additional content and adjustments made because of hardware limitations. The play style of VK & CV1 are equally different from CV2. In fact the ONLY things that VK shares with CV2 and not CV1 is merchants and hearts for currency.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2956 on: June 15, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
In all seriousness though, I marvel at the fact some developers feel that they can only do it one way or the other. How difficult is it to throw in a few things that would make a world of difference to some oldschool Castlevania fans, and still manage to keep a good majority of what made you all those big bucks? Why not try to find that happy medium? Wouldn't that net you a larger gross sum in the end by hitting an even wider demographic than previous?

In some fairness to Cox, he has stated many times that one of his goals with MoF was to bring around Vania fans who weren't too enamored with LoS1. I guess the main question is how much change there will be between LoS and MoF to address this issue.

Some of the concepts he brought up, such as more honest to goodness platform jumping and combat during platforming, do sound pretty cool. But then again, the dull platforming and lack of exploration weren't really my only problems with the first one. (And dammit, he still hasn't answered me about turning off tutorials.)

I'm mostly cool with what Cox and MS are doing because it's only two more games before they pass on the torch. I suppose this all depends on whether the other two LoS games also sell bucketloads (after all, how many jillions of times has Hideo Kojima sworn he's done with MGS?), but I also kind of worry about what will come after LoS. Alvarez and Cox might not want fans to keep experiencing more of the same, but Konami might, in some perverted way, try to one-up what they did, which may lead to something absolutely filled with QTEs to grab more of the God of War crowd, also adding Inception horns, sparkling vampires, guns, a futuristic setting, and all sorts of horrific crap to "widen the fan base".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:03:45 PM by Munchy »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2957 on: June 15, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
+1
...which may lead to something absolutely filled with QTEs to grab more of the God of War crowd, also adding Inception horns, sparkling vampires, guns, a futuristic setting, and all sorts of horrific crap to "widen the fan base".
That's ULTRA worst case scenario right there!!! :) Complete and utter sell out. Doubt it would happen, but the though sends shivers down my spine. It's kinda like my proposed parody idea of a reboot of Pac-Man, where it becomes Gears of War-ish, and the "P.A.C" team, composed of Man, Ms, Super, Jr and Baby(all codenames), decked up in Master Chief-esque armor with helmets that vaguely resemble the classic Pac design, must trek through the labyrinthine post apocalyptic city ruins, collect "Power Pellets", a enery source used to power dome colonies, and avoid Genetic Ghosts, remnants of those who died during the apocalyptic Nega Bomb. All the dudes are badass space marine-types with necks as thick as their heads and such!  ;D

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2958 on: June 16, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »
That's ULTRA worst case scenario right there!!! :) Complete and utter sell out. Doubt it would happen, but the though sends shivers down my spine.

Yeah I kinda feel bad even having written it. Now the thought is out in the ether, and some coked-out, unconscious guy at Konami HQ will awaken, full of inspiration on where to take the franchise next. Oh lord, what have I done?

(I also feel bad for writing it because it kinda does a disservice to LoS which is a pretty good game despite my complaints.)

I'm still quaking in fear of whatever Konami has planned for Contra's reboot.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:16:39 AM by Munchy »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2959 on: June 16, 2012, 12:22:35 AM »
Yeah I kinda feel bad even having written it. Now the thought is out in the ether, and some coked-out, unconscious guy at Konami HQ will awaken, full of inspiration on where to take the franchise next. Oh lord, what have I done?

(I also feel bad for writing it because it kinda does a disservice to LoS which is a pretty good game despite my complaints.)

I'm still quaking in fear of whatever Konami has planned for Contra's reboot.

So everyone at Konami is snorting copious amounts of cocaine...

Makes sense.

Offline djrunza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Founder of CV: Souls of Sorrow
    • Awards
« Reply #2960 on: June 16, 2012, 02:29:59 AM »
So it's a reboot trending nowadays huh? I wouldn't even surprise if I could see they rebooting Metal Gear Solid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resident Evil, King of Fighters, Metal Slug and restart all the most popular games all over again in the future. On a side note, I'm really looking forward for Contra's reboot version! I'm pretty sure it's gonna be cool though. :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:32:14 AM by djrunza »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2961 on: June 16, 2012, 07:42:49 AM »
I'M sorry, but this is completely wrong. The second game in any series IS judged by a standard. The standard set forth by the first game. There has never been a sequel EVER that wasn't judged in comparison to it's predecessor. And the MSX Akuma-jou Dracula is as different from CV2 as it's NES counterpart. VK is essentially the same game as CV1 with some additional content and adjustments made because of hardware limitations. The play style of VK & CV1 are equally different from CV2. In fact the ONLY things that VK shares with CV2 and not CV1 is merchants and hearts for currency.
Different parts of the series are always compared between each other, it is obvious. However, when there were only one game, there is simply NO defined standard. Everything can change especially since in the old days, games often went from hand of one team to the pther and no guarantee that the new team will like whatever previous team have created. Series gameplay is more or less save, when there were several games that set main basics. When there is one game - there is none of that. Copying original game's gameplay is not so much "following the standard" as a "following a safe route".
Besides, VK is not the same as CV1. Only things that common in two games are graphics (to certain extent) and action mechanic. Given that even genres of the two are different (dynamic action vs adventure / quest-like) they simply not the same game in different coating.
And CV2 is essentially improved version of VK - (hidden) merchants, hearts, multiple subweapons, that player can use at the same time, different equipment, open-world inspired by level-maps from VK. All of this are basically ideas that were taken from Vampire Killer and received new forms. The link between two games is painfully obvious. Yes, CV2 is more dynamic, but that is exactly why I said that CV2 was an atempt to merge CV1 and VK gameplay styles. I elaborate: CV2 was an attempt to merge dynamic action of original CV and exploration / quest-like elements of VK.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2962 on: June 16, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
Why have I still not seen any sprites of the new Simon and Trevor in the forum banner yet? :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2963 on: June 16, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Why have I still not seen any sprites of the new Simon and Trevor in the forum banner yet? :P

Someone will have to make them...

...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2964 on: June 16, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
I haven't dabbled with sprites in awhile, I would like to give the new Simon a go if no one else is gonna do it.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2965 on: June 16, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
+3
there should be a new improved 2012-style banner imo, it's already cluttered as is

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2966 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »
I haven't dabbled with sprites in awhile, I would like to give the new Simon a go if no one else is gonna do it.

I do not know how to do sprites at all  :'( wish I did.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2967 on: June 16, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »
there should be a new improved 2012-style banner imo, it's already cluttered as is
That sounds like a good idea, actually. Maybe one just for the new timeline.

Offline BingleGod

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #2968 on: June 16, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Quote from: DragonSlayr81
That's ULTRA worst case scenario right there!!! :) Complete and utter sell out. Doubt it would happen, but the though sends shivers down my spine.

I dunno. Harmony of Despair is about as low as I think I can imagine the series going. Not sure if Konami has a clue about what to do with its series anymore. I'd rather Castlevania were laid to rest after Mercury Steam is done than see CV continue to be stretched past the point of death, unless Hidetaka Miyazaki were interested in getting involved. But I'd rather he focus on his natural passions.

Offline Tavis Belmont

• Video Game Approved
  • Hunter in Training
  • Game on!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2969 on: June 16, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
+1
I remember the Nintendo fanbase getting up in arms about a similar debate about "casual" gamers and "hardcore" gamers. In fact, I think there was even a VG Cats comic made about it. I wonder how that ended?

I do have to say, though, I'm glad everyone can be civil about this. I've followed some boards about Sonic the Hedgehog that have made me ashamed to be alive.
Defeating evil: Apparently easy.
Defeating the Lord of Darkness with a whip and some water: Damn.
"I'm a Belmont. That's my job."

Tags: .....?