Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1845374 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3000 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
In the E3 interviews he already said flat out that they are keeping the damage ratios and combat system as is. Each time it's mentioned he defends the decision and cites that LoS is not the traditional Castlevania and it will not have skeletons that die in a single hit.

Oh and also, that the people who complain about it (ie. the old series fans who don't like LoS that much) are such a tiny tiny voice to them, as they swim in their millions of dollars, that they don't consider them a valid source of complaints filing it under "you can't please everyone! :D".
Meh, that's pretty much a deal breaker for me regarding stepping back into the LoS world. LoS2 will likely follow the same thing, so I guess I'll skip 'em altogether and wait it out. Bring on the next REBOOT!

Power and perhaps a slight bit of fame can corrupt or make someone get ahead of themselfs. Just felt like saying that now excuse me;I am off.
Blinded by his own hubris?

Anyone want to tell me how that David Cox interview and him saying "We want to please people who liked LoS, but want to bring the people in that didn't like it that much" is being taken as him being arrogant?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that entire interview both Cox and Alvarez were pretty diplomatic and came off pretty well.

If someone could point out to me what he did that was arrogant, that'd be great.
It seems like behind-the-scenes arrogance. In the interview, he gives the impression that he wants this game to attract those who didn't like LoS, but it doesn't seem like he's addressing the major complaints those who disliked LoS(most complaints I've heard come from the fact that it takes forever to kill fuckin enemies and the whole QTE thing, which those they hint it's not mandatory, c'mon!!!!). Really, was adding hearts and more exploration the main complaints Cox and MS got? While hearts are nice, they aren't a priority, and many would've been content with a 2D linear-stage based CV than a more free exploration one.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3001 on: June 17, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
+3
I don't see the arrogance either. They both seem like really nice and passionate guys.  Besides, they're only making three games so it's not like they wanna take over the series and make it their own for the rest of eternity. As for "not listening to the older fans".... Well, what you guys are asking is that they make the game more like the older games that simply didn't do as well, commercially, as LoS. It's a difficult situation. Also, I think Mercury Steam GENUINELY believes that they're making the best game they can (and want.). They're not doing this to piss us off.

I love the classic Castlevanias as much as the next guy, but I fail to see why Cox would change things that clearly attracted gamers to LoS in the first place. I have my worries about the drawn-out combat, but I 100% understand why Mercury Steam wants to do it this way again. Cause it's what their vision of a modern Castlevania is. Also, being a video game developer, how much do you wanna copy from the series past? There's already been soooo many similar games.

Now, one could argue that if Cox doesn't wanna copy the old Castlevania feel, why is he copying bits and pieces from God of War? I don't necessarily think that he does on purpose, but I can see why people are making this comparision.

Well, well. I'm excited for the game. I only wonder what happens when MS are done. Castlevania is probably gonna be a little lost for a while. "Who am I?" it's gonna ask.

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3002 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »
+1
It seems like behind-the-scenes arrogance. In the interview, he gives the impression that he wants this game to attract those who didn't like LoS, but it doesn't seem like he's addressing the major complaints those who disliked LoS(most complaints I've heard come from the fact that it takes forever to kill fuckin enemies and the whole QTE thing, which those they hint it's not mandatory, c'mon!!!!). Really, was adding hearts and more exploration the main complaints Cox and MS got? While hearts are nice, they aren't a priority, and many would've been content with a 2D linear-stage based CV than a more free exploration one.

Ok? None of that is arrogance, thats sticking to a game design plan. I'm sure Mirror of Fate enemies are going to become a joke once new skills are unlocked, just like Lords of Shadow. QTEs being in the game are a given and are not an example of arrogance.

I don't see how your having a bad opinion of the game translates into David Cox being out to get old Castlevania fans but thank you for the response.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3003 on: June 17, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
+1
Well, well. I'm excited for the game. I only wonder what happens when MS are done. Castlevania is probably gonna be a little lost for a while. "Who am I?" it's gonna ask.
Meh, guess I won't have CV on my radar until the CV series falls out of MS's hands and into the next able developers's lap. I don't mind, really. There are so much other games out there I'm actually stoked over. I can afford to put CV out of my mind for while. :)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3004 on: June 17, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »
After MS are done with Castlevania, the next team will most likely be another western dev team since Konami is loving the west right now. And lord help us if it goes to anyone other than Wayforward. ( and before you say Retro, they're currently in Nintendo's back pocket so that rules them out)

Now, if by any slim, paper thin chance that the series goes in the hands of a japanese dev team, either Platinum Games or From Software would do (or some new team altogether.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:05:57 PM by Kingshango »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3005 on: June 17, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »
+1
It also doesn't help your case when you're always belittling/criticizing the "old, tired" fans of the classic canon as a "small, insignificant" group. There's quite a lot of us, but w/e

I guess it's a good thing that MoF won the best of 3ds e3 award. but i hope that doesn't give MS an excuse to ignore the rather obvious & glaring complaints the game's receiving already. not just framerate issues, but all the other stuff (enemies, music, et cetera) I have high hopes *fingers crossed*

this made me chuckle

If MercurySteam loves what they're doing, and aren't just in it for the money, I'd like to think they'll at least give the areas people have issues with a second look before moving ahead so they can guarantee the best product possible.

Or they can pull a Casey Hudson and flip everyone the bird because "fuck you my artistic vision". Hopefully they don't do that.

After MS are done with Castlevania, the next team will most likely be another western dev team since Konami is loving the west right now. And lord help us if it goes to anyone other than Wayforward. ( and before you say Retro, they're currently in Nintendo's back pocket so that rules them out)

Now, if by any slim, paper thin chance that the series goes in the hands of a japanese dev team, either Platinum Games or From Software would do (or some new team altogether.)

I feel like I'm the only one that would weep if Platinum got their hands on Castlevania.

That's right, weep. Weep like a beaten child.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:18:48 PM by e105beta »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3006 on: June 17, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »

I couldn't care less if the next team is Japanese or Western, as long as the CV is in capable hands, and they ditch the "it takes a million hits to kill standard enemies". If various other "traditions" could die with the old canon, let some of MS's "traditions" die with their's. It's only fair, bow out gracefully and take your things with you. Make room for the next new thing.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3007 on: June 17, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
I couldn't care less if the next team is Japanese or Western, as long as the CV is in capable hands, and they ditch the "it takes a million hits to kill standard enemies". If various other "traditions" could die with the old canon. let some of MS's "traditions" die with their's. It's only fair, bow out gracefully and take your things with you. Make room for the next new thing.

And then Konami partners with SCE Santa Monica to do the next reboot.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3008 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
+1

Blinded by his own hubris?

Perhaps. This is not the first time Cox said something that pissed people off I remember him talking about uncharted one time and it was not good.

Also I have a new reason for this game to do extremely well.

Simon/Trevor/Gabriel Belmont for SSB4  :D Come on we all want that right?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3009 on: June 17, 2012, 11:38:02 PM »
Perhaps. This is not the first time Cox said something that pissed people off I remember him talking about uncharted one time and it was not good.

Also I have a new reason for this game to do extremely well.

Simon/Trevor/Gabriel Belmont for SSB4  :D Come on we all want that right?

I didn't even think about that.

Someone email Sakurai.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3010 on: June 17, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
And then Konami partners with SCE Santa Monica to do the next reboot.
I'm still curious to what the American pitch was all those years ago, and it has me wondering what their vision of CV could be.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3011 on: June 17, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
I didn't even think about that.

Someone email Sakurai.

Who knows his email heck or even Fils-aime someone up there at the big N , no seriously we should do that while the iron is hot MoF has wow awards and chances are ms is hard at work on it what can we lose  :D
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3012 on: June 17, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
+2
I'm still curious to what the American pitch was all those years ago, and it has me wondering what their vision of CV could be.

The secret of the American Castlevania pitch will go down in history. Like Stonehenge and the Easter Island heads.

Though the stereotypical answer would be that it was an FPS.

Who knows his email heck or even Fils-aime someone up there at the big N , no seriously we should do that while the iron is hot MoF has wow awards and chances are ms is hard at work on it what can we lose  :D

I'm going to email Reggie tomorrow at work.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3013 on: June 17, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »
+1
The secret of the American Castlevania pitch will go down in history. Like Stonehenge and the Easter Island heads.

Though the stereotypical answer would be that it was an FPS.

I'm going to email Reggie tomorrow at work.

Good Luck on that  :)  maybe a twitter message could help as well. I think in one of the interviews Cox said that the code MS sent to nintendo impressed them so chances are if this really does well then a Belmont might make it, but a bit of pestering never hurt right  ;D
(click to show/hide)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3014 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »
+1
His cockyness
you mean his... Coxyness, heh, heh, heh...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: .....? 

anything