Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1842943 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3105 on: June 20, 2012, 05:38:26 AM »
Looks like they're going the exploration without any reason to explore route.

Yeah, I don't really get it either. Collecting stuff is fun! In fact, it's the whole point. Unless exploration is there only for finding new exits. Which is ok with me. But even though many of the items/weapons you pick up in the Metroidvanias are completely useless, I still think it's pretty fun. In this game it seems we're exploring just to, dunno... replenish MP? Get more subweapons? I hope there's at least a few other things, like - "dun dun DUN! You get equipped with: WALL JUMP!" Or, dunno, SLIDE.

Whenever Mercury Steam call this game an "action combat game" I cringe. I mean, there's no need to rub it in. We already know how combat-heavy this game is gonna be. I think they're focusing 70% on the combat, 20% on the story, and 10% on this so-called exploration.

But make no mistake; I am still interested in the game and will probably enjoy it. I love beat'em'ups and combos. I'm just not used to it being such a big part of Castlevania.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3106 on: June 20, 2012, 05:40:05 AM »
i thought hod was pretty hard when i first play it

i died several times trying to navigate it's crazy layout

i mean it wasn't cotm hard but i did have some trouble spots here n there

I remeber when i 've played it for the first time and it was something like a maze.

"Exploration has been beefed up for sure, but we don’t want to have a game where you run around collecting loads of things."

I agree that collecting many items, that most of them are useless, isn't so good, but having to explore a place that has nothing to collect or reward you at it's end, isn't something i would like to do, since i find it pointless. I prefer to have few items to hunt down, but worth the trouble finding them. ;)
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3107 on: June 20, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
It seems to be certain spots the way Cox is describing it.
It could become the reason for a tonne of backtracking - something I always disliked about "metroidvanias".

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3108 on: June 20, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
It seems like it'll be a different way of backtracking, where you're kinda forced to replay parts. But since the characters have different abilities, I guess it'll be quick to have branching paths so each character still has their own unique parts of the castle to explore.

I was never really that bothered by the backtracking in IGA's Castlevanias. They tend to minimize it to a large extent, especially Symphony of the Night which pretty much directs the player to a lot of shortcuts and etc. Most backtracking was done in a place like the Outer Wall which was essentially a hub. I think the most backtracking is done to acquire the rings.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3109 on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »
Branching parts for different characters is a very good idea. Sonic and Knuckles pulled that with perfection.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3110 on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
It seems like it'll be a different way of backtracking, where you're kinda forced to replay parts.

I hope that isn't the case, since that seems more like a gimmick to be able to extend the length of the game than offering freedom to explore where you want or making it a sort of puzzle to find the next way forward to progress in the game.

Also, that reminded me, I wonder if there will be teleporter rooms in this game like in most of the Metroidvanias? Or maybe they'll have a quick-travel capability to each of those dots in the overall castle map. The thing is, if they want to force you to replay parts, that might make teleporters or quick travel unwelcome from the devs' POV.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3111 on: June 21, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »

Also, that reminded me, I wonder if there will be teleporter rooms in this game like in most of the Metroidvanias? Or maybe they'll have a quick-travel capability to each of those dots in the overall castle map. The thing is, if they want to force you to replay parts, that might make teleporters or quick travel unwelcome from the devs' POV.

From what it seems like from the interviews, I get the impression that the game will be a stage-by-stage layout like LoS and most pre-SotN Castlevanias. I'm thinking levels will be similar to in OoE, where you have a main map, and you choose your level. Each level has a map, and areas to explore. Some places can't be explored until later. That kind of thing. They've said a few times that it isn't a metroidvania, but that it has qualities of one. Point being, there may not be a need for a thing like teleport rooms. I imagine you will most likely have the map after each stage.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:27:44 AM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3112 on: June 21, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
didnt they liken it more to OOE actually?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Tavis Belmont

• Video Game Approved
  • Hunter in Training
  • Game on!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3113 on: June 22, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
+2
I wonder how good this is going to look on the bigger 3DS? Is it just me, or does that system look... tougher, too? That'd be good. I get worried I'm going to break mine sometimes. And Mirror of Fate probably will test that theory to it's limits.
Defeating evil: Apparently easy.
Defeating the Lord of Darkness with a whip and some water: Damn.
"I'm a Belmont. That's my job."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3114 on: June 23, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
+1
Yeah, I don't really get it either. Collecting stuff is fun! In fact, it's the whole point. Unless exploration is there only for finding new exits. Which is ok with me. But even though many of the items/weapons you pick up in the Metroidvanias are completely useless, I still think it's pretty fun. In this game it seems we're exploring just to, dunno... replenish MP? Get more subweapons? I hope there's at least a few other things, like - "dun dun DUN! You get equipped with: WALL JUMP!" Or, dunno, SLIDE.

Whenever Mercury Steam call this game an "action combat game" I cringe. I mean, there's no need to rub it in. We already know how combat-heavy this game is gonna be. I think they're focusing 70% on the combat, 20% on the story, and 10% on this so-called exploration.

But make no mistake; I am still interested in the game and will probably enjoy it. I love beat'em'ups and combos. I'm just not used to it being such a big part of Castlevania.

hmmm. Combovania?

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3115 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »
I'm still not exactly sure why Cox seems to be doing his damnedest to disassociate this title from the games of the prior decade when all of them have respectable reputations among gamers. It's even more confusing since Simon is highly influenced by his Chronicles design while Trevor is based off of his Curse outfit. It's rather odd to make such clear shout-outs to relatively underrated titles while simultaneously trying to distance themselves from those games.

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3116 on: June 24, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
+3
Well, he wants it to be its own game. Dave wants MoF to be described as simply MoF. Not a SotN-clone or a Simon's Quest style game. If you can describe your game as "Oh it's just like ___" then there might be a problem.  It reflects badly on your game ("Oh it's just a ___-clone") and on you as a producer.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3117 on: June 24, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »
Fair point, I guess, but the game mechanics for each of the GBA/DS titles meant that they were so much more than mere copies of SotN.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3118 on: June 24, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »
Fair point, I guess, but the game mechanics for each of the GBA/DS titles meant that they were so much more than mere copies of SotN.
Not by very much. all they had going for them was an added different gameplay gimmick for each one. other than that it was all very similar. Especially with the recycling of sprites and elements everywhere.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3119 on: June 24, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
I'm still not exactly sure why Cox seems to be doing his damnedest to disassociate this title from the games of the prior decade when all of them have respectable reputations among gamers. It's even more confusing since Simon is highly influenced by his Chronicles design while Trevor is based off of his Curse outfit. It's rather odd to make such clear shout-outs to relatively underrated titles while simultaneously trying to distance themselves from those games.

The old games are dirty, and unpopular! We can't be associated with such filth.

You're suppose to forget everything you knew about Castlevania! Stop remembering the good times! If you don't like it, you're a terrible person, a whiner and a complainer, and no one likes you! In fact your voice means nothing to us, and we won't address your concerns. I CANT HEAR YOU INSIDE OF MY MONEY FORT.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:54:34 PM by uzo »

Tags: .....? 

anything