Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Masahiro Ueno interview, Retro Gamer 119 (August)  (Read 26397 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Masahiro Ueno interview, Retro Gamer 119 (August)
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
+6
Nothing to report yet on what the interview actually contains, but keep yer peepers open for the interview with the lead programmer on Super Castlevania IV.

Gonna check out Barnes & Noble in a few weeks to see if they get it in stock. It's a UK mag, and those usually take 3–4 weeks from release to arrive here.

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Masahiro Ueno interview, Retro Gamer 119 (August)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
Good find :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
+3
I got mine in the mail two days ago.  I haven't had a chance to finish the CV4 article, but there's some new info in there already.  For example, that CV1-CV3 were all done by the same team, and also that early Konami games don't have the true names in the credits because Konami would not allow them credit for their work.  I'll scan the article when I can, but I probably won't have time til Sunday night at the earliest.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
+1
More information about the early history of Castlevania? Consider me intrigued.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:01:58 AM »
I got mine in the mail two days ago.  I haven't had a chance to finish the CV4 article, but there's some new info in there already.  For example, that CV1-CV3 were all done by the same team, and also that early Konami games don't have the true names in the credits because Konami would not allow them credit for their work.  I'll scan the article when I can, but I probably won't have time til Sunday night at the earliest.

I'll await your scans.
That article is very interesting.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:59:12 AM »
I'm interested in this.

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:11:05 AM »
I'm very interested in this as well. :)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 06:30:57 AM »
I too, approve of this article being scanned.

Also, Konami was a bit of an asshole not giving proper credit to its programmers/designers. I don't understand the reasoning behind it. Did this apply to other games than Castlevania too? My memory escapes me.

Though I guess times were different back then, but other companies at least had real credits.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »
I dunno, Yuzo Koshiro was never credited at Falcom, which is why he left there in the late 80s.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:09:33 AM »
I think Keiji Inafune said that many of the original developers of Mega Man 1–3 (I think it was largely the same team) used fake names because video games had a certain stigma attached to it in Japan at the time, so if that's the case, then the staffers at Capcom chose to do aliases. The creator and original director has never wanted to be named, I believe, and that could also be why IGA never mentions by name some of the key folks behind the original Castlevanias.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
And that could be the case of Michiru Yamane behind themes like Riddle in Castlevania 3, many years before she made a remix.
Manami Matsumae used the nickname Sato in some Megaman titles, for example, and that might be just what Keiji was referring to.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
She was never part of KKC and I have absolutely no idea where you got that from. She has said in a zillion interviews that the first Castlevania game she ever worked on was Bloodlines. Here:

http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/yamane/2012/11/07
1up: I'd like to talk more about Castlevania, since that seems to be what you're best known for. How did you first become involved with the Castlevania series?

Michiru Yamane: I moved to the Tokyo office, and the first title I worked on was Vampire's Killer [Castlevania Bloodlines], for the Mega Drive.

EDIT: I didn't mean this in a harsh way or anything, but I'm just legitimately confused where you heard Yamane did music for CVIII.

EDIT TO THE EDIT'S EDIT: Whoops, forgot she did some of the music for Gradius III and other MSX stuff, and I think there she was credited as part of the KKC. But she has confirmed that Bloodlines was the first Castlevania she ever worked on.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:58:23 PM by beingthehero »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »
Although I found PDF of this by the Google search, I think that I will wait for PFG9000's scan. That one will become the contribution of Castlevania Dungeon.

*Michiru Yamane
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/features/interviews/michiruyamane.shtml
CVIII isn't anywhere in this report.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:02:25 PM by Koutei »
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
She was never part of KKC and I have absolutely no idea where you got that from. She has said in a zillion interviews that the first Castlevania game she ever worked on was Bloodlines. Here:

http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/yamane/2012/11/07
EDIT: I didn't mean this in a harsh way or anything, but I'm just legitimately confused where you heard Yamane did music for CVIII.

EDIT TO THE EDIT'S EDIT: Whoops, forgot she did some of the music for Gradius III and other MSX stuff, and I think there she was credited as part of the KKC. But she has confirmed that Bloodlines was the first Castlevania she ever worked on.
No because Bloodlines was her first solo work in CV, but a couple CV games were credited by the KKC, and until I find out if she was in KKC at the tim of CV3, I will still have the doubt.
The way I see it, it's more probable that she was in KKC when CV3 was made, because she entered Konami and entered right away in KKC, and when she left KKC and went solo, she did it to make Bloodlines.
It's just that I can't find info about one info or the other.
Until something official appears, we don't know.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
+1
Dude she literally says in the interview I quoted that the very first Castlevania she ever worked on period was Bloodlines. Not the first one she did solo, but the first one ever.

Tags:

anything