Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Masahiro Ueno interview, Retro Gamer 119 (August)  (Read 26379 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Masahiro Ueno interview, Retro Gamer 119 (August)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
In these 2 interviews she says (yeah, so she is the source) that the first Castlevania project that she worked was Bloodlines. In Koutei link you can even read she mentioning what another titles that she worked while in KKC.

Its worth reading.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 02:30:20 AM »
I've read the article already. Although the scans have not been posted yet, I hope nobody minds if I share some interesting bits already. Apperently, this game started production alongside Castlevania III. Ueno says they started working on it as soon as they heard about the creation of the SFC, and they had people from CV1 and 2 on the team. He's also asked if SCIV is truly a remake, and he says he considers it partially to be so. Sadly, he doesn't really elaborate on it.       

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 03:40:45 AM »
Dude she literally says in the interview I quoted that the very first Castlevania she ever worked on period was Bloodlines. Not the first one she did solo, but the first one ever.
Alright, I guess we have our answer. Thanks.
But not "dude", more like... I don't know... "gal"?
Yesterday I've been told I am flatchested, and now they are already calling me "dude"... I mean... really?
Not for liking girls and having small cup I become a "dude".
I like to think that, despite my jokes, I'm pretty feminine  :P
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 03:45:11 AM »
"Dude" for me and perhaps for him is a generic term. Don't take it too seriously. The female form is "dudette".

Besides, you have bigger breasts than normal east asian women. (do not count those gals who did plastic surgery)

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:47:04 AM »
He's also asked if SCIV is truly a remake, and he says he considers it partially to be so. Sadly, he doesn't really elaborate on it.   

In the interview he says he considers it a remake to an extent and then explains how they made gameplay improvements and additions but wanted to keep it aligned with the original. I think that is a pretty sufficient elaboration on the matter.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:51:53 AM by C Belmont »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 04:22:14 AM »
Alright, I guess we have our answer. Thanks.
But not "dude", more like... I don't know... "gal"?
Yesterday I've been told I am flatchested, and now they are already calling me "dude"... I mean... really?
Not for liking girls and having small cup I become a "dude".
I like to think that, despite my jokes, I'm pretty feminine  :P

Hey, don't get mad, you are very sweet for your age. ;)
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 04:34:46 AM »
+2
Hey, none of that sweet shit in this thread, it's all SRS GAMIN' BZNS HERE.

I thought Ueno had commented on the whole remake thing before. Thought it was in play, August 2003 issue, but it ain't there. But I think I read something once that caused some confusion. The game's a remake in the sense that the story is such, but the play mechanics are far from being like the original's while still retaining its atmosphere and linear, non-RPG style. So I think a Japanese developer might have qualms with calling it a remake because they factor in that stuff.

Or maybe I made all that up? Or IGA said something similar to that.

Anyway, the fact that in Japan it has the exact same name as the original game and all the other reimaginings, I don't know why there would be any question to its (story) remake status.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:43:33 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 05:37:26 AM »
Really? If you find out more, please let us know.

Of course the story is the same but that is not sufficient reason to call it a remake. That's why I'm always annoyed when people call it that. I'm curious though, why reuse the same story for a new game? In case of Akumajo X68000 it's because the project evolved from being an enhanced port (source is an interview with the game's director), and I'm guessing in case of Vampire Killer and Haunted Castle because versions for arcade and MSX were requested that intentionally differed from the Famicom version (which was common practice for Konami at the time). But what's the deal with CVIV?

On another note, I was thinking that if CVIV has the same staff from CV1 and CV2, if we are able to find out their real names we find out who the original creators of Castlevania are. Didn't part of the team leave Konami to begin Treasure or something? There might be a lead there. I also noticed one person of the staff, Satoshi Kushibuchi, is still frequently involved with the series. I wonder if his involvement in the series dates back to the first game?

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 06:59:10 AM »
What if every Castlevania game would have had the same story? It was always Simon Belmont going up against Dracula, but the gameplay and setting would vary. Also, Simons powers (and appearance) would have to vary greatly in order to fit something like Symphony and the Sorrow games.

We wouldn't have the problem with different timelines. We would, however, be pretty tired of the same story over and over, lol! I can't think of another series that has done this. Maybe because the idea flat out sucks :D

But it worked with CV4, at least.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »
I wonder if the article explains how the old developers feel about Lords of Shadow and how disgusted they are with the series..  :-\

I know I'd be livid if my once masterpiece of a series of games became something so putrid. Not trying to start anything here, but in my eyes it is a shame. Perhaps the developers think Lords of Shadow is amazing, though. If that's they case, good for them and at least they are happy.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »
@Koutei: Hey, how about sharing this PDF with us, its possible? I want PFG9000 scans and keep them in my HDD, but I want to read it while PFG9000 doesnt scan it. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
Nagumo, I believe Koutei commented on the Treasure thing before. If I recall, the ties to Castlevania are very thin. The lead programmer on The Adventure was one of the founders and possibly CEO, and I think one or two of the programmers on IV left for Treasure. I think the latter hadn't worked on Konami games prior to the Super Nintendo but I could be wrong.

If I had to guess, since Simon was the most well-known Belmont, Konami just figured, "Let's do a souped-up 16-bit version of his adventure," almost like how Mega Man's first proper game on the console was a darker reimagining with new moves and that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Hey, none of that sweet shit in this thread, it's all SRS GAMIN' BZNS HERE.
♥♥♥♥ pru-nyaa ♥♥♥♥
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:36:33 PM by Pfil »
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
@Koutei: Hey, how about sharing this PDF with us, its possible? I want PFG9000 scans and keep them in my HDD, but I want to read it while PFG9000 doesnt scan it. :P
retro gamer 119 pdf download
Google search.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
Thanks, I never thought it could be so easy.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything