Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CASTLEVANIA THE LECARDE CHRONICLES II April 2017  (Read 283098 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: CASTLEVANIA THE LECARDE CHRONICLES 2 Early 2017
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
The problem you're going to run into is when a player connects a gamepad mid-game. The Joypad 2 object is terrible about recognizing devices connected at runtime, even if you command Fusion to poll for newly connected devices.

From what I understand the Windows default controller system is to blame here. I don't think there is anything you can do about it normally.

And yes, XInput does allow you to connect a controller on the fly. On the back end it actually sets up all 4 players by default whether or not they are presently active on the system.

This is not the case with normal controllers, probably because controller counts, button counts, and axis differ, there is no standard structure.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »
I don't really consider the "controller connected mid-game" thing a major issue. Most people will know that sometimes if they connect a joypad in the middle of a game, they'll have to restart it in order for it to  be recognized. A little inconvenient perhaps, but not exactly unusual.

From watching your gameplay trailer, I imagine that many of the "rooms" the player explores are actually contained within a single CF2.5 frame and the camera is simply bound to a rail system which gives us the illusion that each "room" is actually a separate entity. This is what I implemented on my own game and it works wonderfully. Also, since a system like this allows much more in-game content to be packed into a single frame, it helps mitigate the CF2.5 issue mentioned earlier where you have to keep copy-pasting code between several frames when new features are added or changed.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »
I personally don't consider it an issue, but take as many steps as possible to avoid inconveniencing a player if possible.

Working with HD assets calls for larger optimization than low res sprites, so I have opted to load each "room" individually. This way, there are no unnecessary assets loaded, and there really is hardly any difference in loading times.

Offline mig3

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »
Hi!

I'm sorry for the late answers. It's because i'm very involved in the game's creation.
Thanks for the proposals about the key mapping.

Hi Uzo i have checked your method of mapping and it's exactly the same i use. I did experiment it by myself.
So ours minds work the same way :)

I have not yet used the directkeyboard object. But i think i will. Unfortunatly "direct controller" does not exist
for CF2.5.

The truth is that i use the JOYPAD OBJECT 1 wich is a relic of ancient times. I dont know if he can support
ps3 controllers set with Xinput. I have a ps3 but it's a real mess to connect a ps3 controller on a PC. A mere generic USB joypad with 6 action buttons is enough for this game. ( 1 or 2$ in the yard sales :)  ).

The "joystick 2 object" mid-game's pad connection is not a real trouble because a player does not really need to do that.

The true problem of the joystick 2 object is that it adds a delay ABOUT 2 SECONDS to launch a frame. In addition of the normal loading time!!!!!

if there is a way to change that issue it would be great :(

As it's said by Projectdread i put a lot of stuff in the same frame, for exemple i can put 4 or 5 full dungeons/areas in the same frame. Even like that the loading during frame change is very short ( about 1 second ).

Piscesdreams, you maybe have long loading times because you use stuff as many pictures with hundred thousands of colors in the frame etc..Even in HD with large maps i have a very short loading time because i use very simple stuff ( 12 colors sprites or backgrounds etc..).

I will soon release a Control system of the game in order to get feedbacks about issues.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:08:44 PM by mig3 »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 05:09:28 AM »
I've not used Joypad 1 so I can't say for sure. I don't have any loading differences with or without Joypad 2. That's odd. I've tested builds before and after Joypad 2 was implemented and can't recreate a huge delay. What does your CPU usage look like on loading normally versus when using Joypad 2?

I've noticed odd things like this happening randomly in newer builds of Fusion and reverted to an older build, maybe that's why I don't see it. That is, if you're using a recent Fusion build.

I have very short loading times, typically no more than 1 second and even that is pushing it. The reason I refrain from loading multiple areas at once is to keep the RAM usage as low as possible, that way it performs better on more machines. Since my loading times are at 1 second or less, this is acceptable to be able to perform on lower end machines.

I'm curious, what resolution is this game running at MIG? And also, are you using the PMO object or a custom platform engine?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:11:47 AM by piscesdreams »

Offline mig3

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
Hi!

In Lecarde 2 the texts will have much more importance than Lecarde 1. You can get clues and indications by talking to people, checking the sign boards, the texts carved on walls, the texts wrote on books etc..

By the way i checked the JOYSTICK 2 object and the delay trouble doesn't seem to be there!!!
So i will be able to offer a good buttons mapping system to players.

The game's resolution is 640X480    and yes i do use the POM. It's really a great extension :)

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
I just love the environment of your games!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
Seconded! It's shaping up to be a beautiful game.  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »
damn,,, i'm hyped....

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »
Me too thernz, me too :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline AISTODIAOLO

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
I could try to do a greek translation if you are interested. for free of course.

Offline RichterBelmont12

• Hunter in Training
    • RichterBelmont12's Let's Play Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
+1
Hello Mig, I've been doing a Let's Play of the first game and I really do enjoy the game It just feels somewhat original rather then having Dracula as a Final Boss (I know some games does that as well but Its not Death or Chaos) I'm up to the last 3 levels and I'm going to need some Practice lol. I love the art work you have made and it almost felt like something Konami would have made (R.I.P Konami :\)

Anyways I'm looking forward to Let's Playing this game as well because its the type of gameplay I'm very good at I love Metroidvania style gameplay (I do like the classic gameplay but I'm not very good at them sadly. :()

Anyways Keep up the great work and looking forward to this!

Offline mig3

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »
+2
Hi! Game's completion is arround 25%.

The game has some tribute to CV 2 Simon's Quest.

A greek translation why not? , thanks very much for the proposal. Nevertheless the "Languages slots" are limited. I may do that if i cannot
find all the translators i need.  ;)

I can handle myself the Spanish and french one.
I do need a confirmation for the italian translation.
Someone for a japanese one will be very welcomed.

Thanks to J Montoya there will be voice acting in the game. It will be much more full of life  :)

I will put some pictures of the game here and there to make your mouth water but i keep the "main thing" hidden in order to not spoil the game.

I'm really sorry for the spaced posts but the game's creation needs a lot of time.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:05:28 PM by mig3 »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »
A greek translation why not? , thanks very much for the proposal. Nevertheless the "Languages slots" are limited. I may do that if i cannot
find all the translators i need.  ;)

I can handle myself the Spanish and french one.
I do need a confirmation for the italian translation.
Someone for a japanese one will be very welcomed.

Thanks to J Montoya there will be voice acting in the game. It will be much more full of life  :)

I will put some pictures of the game here and there to make your mouth water but i keep the "main thing" hidden in order to not spoil the game.

I'm really sorry for the spaced posts but the game's creation needs a lot of time.

If you have a slot for Portuguese, I can do that as I'm brazilian. You have MANY fans around here.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
Amazing you are so talented well done must say it again. Will you please add Norwaegian language? Plese will mean a lot not me...

Voice acting WOW man I have never imaged that thank you keep it up creator;)

anything