Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania 2 fan game: yet another SQ remake...  (Read 30857 times)

Offline Nightale

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania 2 fan game: yet another SQ remake...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »
Looks good, but I have to agree about darkness and visibility. Short visibility in the darkness is not so much appealing, but otherwise it looks really
great.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 02:01:30 AM »
X, Nightale, may be it's because of your monitor's brightness/contrast settings? On my monitor it looks OK so far. I will test it on various settings later and see for myself. But anyway that darkness effect is not final.

Why spoil it with a demo right?
It's useful in situations like this. I need to know what works and what doesn't. I mean it's useful for me :D. You decide for yourself of course.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 10:54:34 PM »
Still working on the game... Uploaded 2 "Work in Progress" videos on YouTube if you are interested.

Episode 1, showing the game up to Berkeley mansion:

Episode 2, showing the game up to Rover mansion:

The rest is in progress... The estimated release date remains the same - Q4 2018.

UP: if videos don't work on the forum the links are here:
https://youtu.be/GtxsApFytys
https://youtu.be/z4GUPmZ-C7c
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:59:42 PM by PyramidHead »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »
Looking good! The gameplay seems a bit slow to me, but otherwise it is a good presentation  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
Looks good, but still seems to suffer from all the issues that plagued the CV2 experience.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
X, it's not slow.

Partial Blooverine, it doesn't suffer from "all the issues that plagued C2".

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »
I wasn't trying to insult you dude. It does seem to be slower then what you would normally perceive with other CV games. If it is intentionally done that way then so be it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 02:23:15 AM »
Seems slow to me as well, no disrespect at all since I definitely love the presentation and look of this fangame, the only thing that seems off is the fact that yes it does seem slow in comparison to a typical CV game, all you have to do is compare it to other 2.D CV installments to get a gauge on just how slow it seems in comparison.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 04:09:11 AM »
X, it's not slow.

-simon moves like paint dries
-attacking animations are slower than congress passing a bill
-all the enemies move around and animate just as slowly
-projectiles are so slow as to be self-defeating (enemy ones have so little gravity as to be zero threat at all, and player ones like the dagger don't move fast enough to be worth using--which is a problem considering the entire point of the dagger is to be among the fastest things you can hit something with)

every one of these things contributes to overall gameplay being slow as movement speed and animation windups determine everything and if they're slower than molasses then the entire thing's going to feel sluggish and uneventful

so yes, yes it is slow

it honestly feels like the thing's running at half the gamespeed it should be running at, as if the values for physics and animations were coded to run at 30fps and the game itself is running at 15fps for some reason

i'd be willing to bet you could probably increase every animation and physics value by 1.5x or even up to double their current values without causing any significant problems, the entire thing just runs way too slow in terms of physics and animation speeds to even remotely be justified in trying to reproduce the classic CV formula and gamefeel

also you should probably create some custom particle systems for effects if the existing program defaults aren't just placeholder, the GM default particles are noticeable a mile away and have never looked particularly good in any kind of polished game (or looked good at all, if i'm being honest)

this is a matter of opinion and almost entirely for your playerbase to decide, not you as a developer

i might be inclined to agree with bloo in some regards, but honestly the above criticisms of the thing being so universally slow as well as just how empty the game looks/feels at this stage in development puts me in a position where i don't think it's quite ready/polished enough to even be compared fairly to the original
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:12:06 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »
Still working on the game... Uploaded 2 "Work in Progress" videos on YouTube if you are interested.

Episode 1, showing the game up to Berkeley mansion:

Episode 2, showing the game up to Rover mansion:

The rest is in progress... The estimated release date remains the same - Q4 2018.

UP: if videos don't work on the forum the links are here:
https://youtu.be/GtxsApFytys
https://youtu.be/z4GUPmZ-C7c

Looks cool man! I love your style.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
Not wanting to be a dick, but watching the video I was a bit bored. Then I played the video on 1.25x speed and suddenly it looked like it had physics similar to Adventure Rebirth, and my interest was greatly improved (Adv Rebirth being my favorite classicvania).

I will have to agree that the game is a tad too slow normally. But it's hard to tell what it feels like by video only.

BTW I looooove the creepy art in this game. And I'm impressed this is not pixel art. Looks very nice!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:57:44 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
X, it's not slow.

This

Is how you don't respond to criticism
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »
I played the video on 1.25x speed and suddenly it looked like it had physics similar to Adventure Rebirth

i didn't even think of trying this, holy crap

25% more speed on everything and the slowness problem is basically gone

BTW I looooove the creepy art in this game. And I'm impressed this is not pixel art. Looks very nice!

i feel kinda silly laying the crit on thick before and neglecting to mention the same--aesthetics are nice and atmosphere looks like it's killer

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
This Is how you don't respond to criticism
It's not criticism. Criticism means argumentation. I have seen none in your comment. You claim something - I claim something. Yet I'm not saying to you "This is how you don't respond to anyone's work" while you believe it's OK to tell me "This Is how you don't respond to criticism." Who has manners in this scenario?

-simon moves like paint dries
-attacking animations are slower than congress passing a bill
-all the enemies move...
So basically... you say this and that is slow and then compare it to something like "paint dries" or "congress passing a bill". That's not how argumentation works either (even though I like the congress part :) ).

also you should probably create some custom particle systems for effects if the existing program defaults aren't just placeholder, the GM default particles are noticeable a mile away and have never looked particularly good in any kind of polished game (or looked good at all, if i'm being honest)
I agree. My current goal is to finish the game. Then I will work on various improvements including effects. I think I'll make my own 2d effects instead. I will keep using particles for things like dust and snow (there will be a big winter area later on...).

this is a matter of opinion and almost entirely for your playerbase to decide, not you as a developer
Yes, it is an opinion and I have my own. I disagree that C2 was "plagued with problems" to begin with.

25% more speed on everything and the slowness problem is basically gone
Well, in my eyes it looks silly if it's so fast. Also, unplayable. Probably watching the video and playing the game isn't the same. I've uploaded the new demo so you can check it yourself, but I doubt anyone's interested (nobody here have played the first demo either - or at least nobody have said anything about it.)

I'll just reply to everybody at once. I believe the speed is optimal and I'm NOT going to change it. If you, guys, don't like it so much I will ask the admins to delete the thread (it seems I can't do it myself). You dislike my game and I disagree with you 100%. Trying to change your opinion seems time-consuming and depressing overall. Conversation like this is simply impossible. (You'll be able to download the full game on my web-site in December - that's everything you need to know if you're still interested.)

But thank you for your kind words! Means a lot to me. It's just lately it seems more negative than anything else, so it's hard to not react accordingly. Have a nice day!

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
So everyone else is wrong and only you are allowed to be right and if we do not agree than the thread should be deleted and we should not play your game... :-\

You seem to have a very stubborn way of dealing with opinions different than your own dude, although I do not have my own fangames I do however hack and modify existing ones and I tend to listen to the fans when the vast majority of them point out something they feel is wrong and could be improved upon, I do not plug my ears and say "I disagree and if you don't like it than don't play it", I know those where not your exact words but that is the impression your leaving right now, most of us have already given you praise on nearly every aspect of the game and the only thing we ask is a bit of a speed uptick and that seems to be enough for you to just decide to brush us off which is just not the way to go about things.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:04:41 AM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Tags: