Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Jimquisition - Konami  (Read 4767 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:58 AM »
I know Jim Sterling at Destructoid has somewhat of a reputation of a troll. I thought he was at first, too. But the more I started reading/listening to him, the more I found I agree with a lot of what he says, and although some of his reviews are pretty heavy-handed, I find that a lot of his criticisms have merit.

I've noticed that he's been talking about Konami a lot lately, with the Silent Hill Collection and that X-Blades sequel being released recently. And what he had to say in his new video pretty much sums up how I view Konami right now and what I think they're doing wrong:

http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-konami-224682.phtml

It basically talks about their lazy approach to marketing and re-releasing (no Castlevania talk, though). I still find it staggering that a company can make so many blunders in this respect and still make a profit. It makes you wonder what the hell is going on around there.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
Why is maury povich in your search words? LOLOLOL
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
I hate his reviews, but agree with his opinion pieces, and yes, Konami is the absolute worst publisher right now. How could they have only released 4 games (and 3 of them metal gears) with good Metascore in an entire generation? They have no quality contron, no marketing at all, no modernization of technology and gameplay, and they have no clue about what the market wants (or more desperately, NEEDS - Whereis my SUn Riders after the RDR craze, Konami?-).
To be honest, I'm ashamed of konami, and if it was by my hand, I would let KojiPro go away, and take Castlevania with it, even without MS, just to take it away from that bunch of incompetence called konami..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:31:50 AM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
Wow. So it's not just Castlevania that got the s**t treatment but also many other titles too. Does anyone here want to go to Japan, invade the Konami HQ and show them how to "Properly" do the Video game work? I'd be up for it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Steps to happiness:

A. Disband Konami.
B. Sell Konami franchise rights to companies that give a fuck. (Platinum Games, I say.)

Actually, this formula works equally well with Capcom switched in for Konami.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:42:47 PM by Munchy »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
B. Sell Konami franchise rights to companies that give a fuck. (Platinum Games, I say.)
Castlevania and MGS by Platinum Games? I am not sure about it. Especially about the former.
Besides, PG already doing MGS game for Konami.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »
suikoden atlus that is all I have to say. maybe fuma by platinum games. Contra, who would be able to bring that into the new generation? Maybe ID? Gradius give it to kojima productions after playing zoradius on zoe2 I know they can make it.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
Im back from my small break just to chime in and say this:

I would truly be surprised if Konami make's it pass the next generation of consoles. Hell im surprised they lasted this long this gen, they've done so little and done so many bad choices yet thet're still around like a cockroach after doomsday. I wonder what exactly is keeping them from folding like other companies, Metal Gear? Yugioh? PE Soccer? Pachislots?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:35:54 PM by Kingshango »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
I would truly be surprised if Konami make's it pass the next generation of consoles. Hell im surprised they lasted this long this gen, they've done so little and done so many bad choices yet thet're still around like a cockroach after doomsday.

I think this is due to them having made a ton of money of the past few decades and now that they are no-longer bringing in revenue, they're forced to dig into their deep pockets in order to remain afloat. It's only a matter of time before they run out of money in this way.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
The sad part is, it sounds like they're still making profit:

http://andriasang.com/comyvw/

I just wonder how if these recent half-assed attempt at collections and promotion are helping them or hurting them.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »
Castlevania and MGS by Platinum Games? I am not sure about it. Especially about the former.
Besides, PG already doing MGS game for Konami.

PG's Metal Gear is the only one I'm really interested in (though I can see why long time MGS fans wouldn't be thrilled about it).

And while I liked Lords of Shadow in a "Castlevania: The Game of the Movie" type way, Bayonetta mops the floor with it in terms of being a fun action game.

EDIT: Just watched the video. I had no idea about the release day fuckery with MGS collection or the PS3 SH collection... I also didn't even know there was a game called Blades of Time, which is a shame because it looks cool.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:26:59 PM by Munchy »

Tags: rant video maury povich 

anything