Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?  (Read 22154 times)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
Re: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:56 PM »
Yeah but if you're born in Canada, you're American, because AMERICA IS A CONTINENT.
Same if you're born in Mexico.

Isn't America two continents, technically speaking?

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:34 PM »
Was one until Roosevelt (I think) dug a swath of increased property value across Panama. Not sure. I thought it was one land mass until then. The last remnant of Pangaea.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
Okay, you got me there, but almost all U.S. Americans are reffered to as simply American, Canadians to Canada, and South Americans to that Part of the World where there doesn't seem to have anything else but drugs.

As for Hitler and his retarded Mumbo Jumbo about a superior race, its all pious.

I firmly believe believe in the X potential in human beings, X being in math terms of mystery (solve for X)
Also meaning that Human potential can also become unlimited if tuned and willed, this is why there are so many extraordinary people out there.

Although, I don't believe it stops there.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
Wow you're one prejudiced, egocentric man, Kamui Zero.
BTW I'm from South America (Ecuador, to be specific).  I can tell you that it's not about drugs at all, and generalizing it as such fills me with fear that there are others like you who would have such narrow-minded views of the world.  This is further noticed in your "Foreign Music" topic, where you assume everyone you speak to must be from the USA.

This is an international forum.  I suggest you exercise some tact and read a few books before writing your vapid statements based on your improper education on the world, and whatever drivel you've been spoonfed by movies/tv/media.  Not everyone in South America is running a Drug Cartel.

Congratulations.  The statements above are proof of how I deal with being prejudiced against.

Anyway...

In some countries in Europe these days, scientists have adopted the view that there are six continents.  They have lumped Europe and Asia into "Eurasia", so we've got North America, South, America, Africa, Eurasia, Oceania, and Antartica.  Some places erroneously say "Australia", which is slightly incorrect, as the continent and all the islands surrounding it are "Oceania" and "Australia" is just the island of Australia, and does not count New Zealand, etc.

In some other countries, they lump both America continents into one, which makes sense from a geographical standpoint; they are all one large mass of land, even with the separation being the Panama Canal.  In some other countries, they do political separations, so Europe and the Middle East are separated, so you have Europe and "Asia" (even though the middle east isn't very asiatic), and they also have Central America, which is the countries between Mexico and Colombia, starting from Guatamala and Belize in the north, and ending with Panama in the south.

Regardless of how you slice it, a person living in North, South, or Central America could, by at least one definition, be an "American", regardless of whether they were born in the USA or not.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
and South Americans to that Part of the World where there doesn't seem to have anything else but drugs.
that's a pretty broad generalization. And pretty bigoted.

I firmly believe believe in the X potential in human beings, X being in math terms of mystery (solve for X)
Also meaning that Human potential can also become unlimited if tuned and willed, this is why there are so many extraordinary people out there.
SOUNDS LIKE MAVERICK TALK TO ME
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
He forgot the tranvestites too.

I'll admit, that was an overly broad generalization by Kamui, but it's not far off for United Statesians (... :D ) these days. Mexico is notorious nowadays for its drug cartels almost as much as its immigrant laborers. But really, it's just Mexico and Colombia that are best known for the drugs. Argentina's known for Nazi survivors. Brazil is known for its transsexual transvestites from Transylvania. Cuba for its drugs, missiles, and government. I mean, when you look at it, there are three countries known best for their drug cartels. Yes, it's an overgeneralization, but three countries (and Brazil) have dominated Hispanic news in the US. Most United Statesians probably couldn't tell you where Ecuador or Peru are on a world map, but quite a few more could tell you where Mexico, Brazil and Cuba are. (Not dissing on Brazil at all, just saying they're a pretty well-known country because of some things :D ).

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
(Not dissing on Brazil at all, just saying they're a pretty well-known country because of some things :D ).

I've never associated Brazil with drugs or the like. Instead, every time I hear the word Brazil Mardi Gras pops into my head. Or maybe it's called Carnival, I'm not too sure. Either way it's one hell of a party!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
...Most United Statesians probably couldn't tell you where Ecuador or Peru are on a world map...

This speaks volumes about two things:
1. lack of education (in other countries, it is extremely important to know your world, whether it's by culture, geography, or current events).
2. egocentrism (a large number of people in the USA are so immersed in their own culture, whether by their upbringing, their education, or their own influences so far as to just not care about any other cultures other than their own).

It's sad, really, to be so ignorant of the large world we live in.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »
1. lack of education (in other countries, it is extremely important to know your world, whether it's by culture, geography, or current events).
2. egocentrism (a large number of people in the USA are so immersed in their own culture, whether by their upbringing, their education, or their own influences so far as to just not care about any other cultures other than their own).

Study says most of the US population can't even point themselves on a map.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
I can!

*goes to Google Maps and types in address*
*zooms out*
*pokes computer screen*
THERE I AM!

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
I can!

*goes to Google Maps and types in address*
*zooms out*
*pokes computer screen*
THERE I AM!

That sir, is stupidly brilliant.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

Yeah. US History doesnt really go too in depth with World History and Geography. Its mostly US History, and SOME world matter.

Education in the US is abysmal compared to other countries like Europe, and hell, even parts of South America.

And yet, ironically enough, we still have some of the best Universities in the world, where people from all around the globe, (read: rich people, usually from Europe and the Middle East) come to study.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:20:53 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »
Oh, god...... Stop with this type of talk. I honestly don't give a rats ass where Peru is. Don't give teachers/universities/schools more ideas to cram down our throats on irrelevant things.

General Education is almost completely useless. Art should be something that you learn if you're interested not because it's there. Geography, history and such too. I've probably learned more when I look things up myself compared to the useless classes that pushed it on me.

It doesn't speak volumes on education, though I do think it's lacking. It's speaks volumes of interests. As for americans being into their own "culture" is bull too... because it's not only americans, it's everyone. You have koreans, chinese, japanese, mexicans, philippians, that come over here thinking it's heaven on earth and not a worry in the world, which is absolute bull. Everyone from everywhere is the same, they're all stuck up in their own culture, cuz if they weren't they'd realize america sucks just as much as all the other places in the world, barring 3rd world countries.

Not to mention, the only reason those countries may have more knowledge of US is because most of them are probably taught growing up that US is a huge commerce pie that they can take a piece of.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »
Study says most of the US population can't even point themselves on a map.

As miss South Carolina (I think) said in response to the question: "I honestly believe, that the reason for that is because most people don't have a map, because there are too many poor people in America like in Iraq, or in South Africa and they can't afford to buy a map."  :-X

Holy shit people. Some of you have no sense of humor. Others defend ignorance by saying "I have a right to be ignorant because general knowledge is useless to my lifestyle."

You prove the point. You prove the damn point. What point? That democracy is useless, because most people don't know what's good for them and therefore vote for the candidate who is the most popular, or for whatever party their parents vote for, whatever. 
That's bullshit. If you're ignorant, don't vote. It's our responsibility to promote an intelligent society, in which people are aware of what's going on around them and don't just accept any government. People say that all politicians are corrupt and identical, but they don't do a damn thing to change that. Ignorance is a sort of slavery, or like Orwell wrote, "Ignorance is power" i.e. ignorance gives power to authoritarian governments. Think about it. Acknowledge that.

If you take no interest in politics, you have the right to do so. Everyone lives the way he or she wants to. But also acknowledge that: politics is all around you. It's in the prices of the food you buy in your store. It's in the roads you drive on. It's in the pollution in the air. It's in the electricity you power your house with.
Don't take those things for granted . They are the result of certain political conditions. The government doesn't owe you shit- but if you didn't have one, you'd have no police, no stable economy, no law, and you'd fear for your life.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2011, 01:17:33 AM »
Sounds like it was to me, so I'll answer.

One, we don't have a democracy. What we have is much more a republic than a democracy.

Ignorant people vote all the time. Why do you think Obama's in office? Would he be in office, if all the ignorant people didn't vote? I don't know, maybe he still will be. But have you seen the election and people that went to DC screaming Obama's our messiah and all that BS.

Everyone in the world is ignorant, one way or another, if you aren't then you are fucking omniscient. But yes, it does give right to authoritarian government, but guess what, intelligence does too. Because without the intelligent people takign advantage of ignorant people, then no one would be able to get into that kind of power. So saying ignorance is what's bad, or what ever is just looking at it one sided.

The government does owe me, and other citizens. We are what holds it up, we are also the one who ends up paying them in what we call taxes. They do owe me, you and everyone else that pays their taxes. That's why there is police, law, and an economy. Governments that think they don't owe you shit would be the totalitarian government.

I never said general knowledge is useless to my life style. I said General Education... or rather to be more specific, forced General Education is. If you are interested in that, then you take it. I would take some, but not all this bullshit that they enforce upon me. Wtf is a reading of an italian book going to do me? Of course I could've taken other fine arts classes, but it's just the same shit in a different book.

Also wanted to add, with concerning to my last paragraph there. I've read more books than the books that was enforced on me. When you're interested, you can look things up yourself. You don't need it shoved in your face. If you do you probably won't remember it anyway.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:19:43 AM by Kale »

Tags:

anything