Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 280079 times)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2013, 04:10:01 AM »
I tried to picture her holding the staff with two hands as darkmanx said, but I felt the walking would look strange, more like a soldier holding a rifle. The appear/disappear animation is nice idea, but it involves more work. So I decided to make her walk with the staff... well, not yet. I have only completed the walk cycle, i still need to add the staff (right hand). What kind of staff fits her best? Wooden staff or metal staff?

This is how she looks so far.
DUDE!  :o That looks fantastic!!! You are doing some wicked awesome work there man!  Thank you!!! I wish i could sprite like that!! lol.  For the staff, I think a metal staff would look cool but either one you choose man im sure it will look awesome so which ever one you get better results with is fine by me dude  8) Again, i can't thank you enough for helping me out and keep up the kick ass work!!!
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
That looks pretty good. Just keep in mind how she will look along side Trevor, who has a presumably lower frame count. You should try and match the frame count and feel of Trevor and the others.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Im with uzo on that, check if the quality and animation doesnt exceed Trevor quality or it can become a Capcom VS SNK fest. Its really incredible what you did in so little time. You studied art before?

IMO she should use a wooden staff, if BMC plans to give Sypha some staff upgrades (like Trevor's whip and Alucard's fireballs) maybe the staff can be implemented with coding, so the correct staff could appear in his hands.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Pretty cool. However, Kaonstantine, I have to confess that IMO, these Sypha sprites look kind of...well, masculine. I'm actually not sure if that's your intention, because in the original CV3 Sypha's gender was left ambiguous and unrevealed till the end. If you're going for that, this is very good, but if not, you may want to keep in mind that she looks a bit manly...at least IMO. u_u

Yeah, you're right. I intentionally tried to avoid sypha looking like a girl. Keep in mind this is the first approach on Sypha's look. I could add a more feminine version, it depends on BMC

That looks pretty good. Just keep in mind how she will look along side Trevor, who has a presumably lower frame count. You should try and match the frame count and feel of Trevor and the others.

Hehe, I got used to that frame count since that's how i'm creating the sprites for my project. I don't have CV spritesheets, except for Shanoa's. But having a lower frame count will facilitate things.

Im with uzo on that, check if the quality and animation doesnt exceed Trevor quality or it can become a Capcom VS SNK fest. Its really incredible what you did in so little time. You studied art before?

IMO she should use a wooden staff, if BMC plans to give Sypha some staff upgrades (like Trevor's whip and Alucard's fireballs) maybe the staff can be implemented with coding, so the correct staff could appear in his hands.

In fact, I studied the opposite to art: engineering  8) I began to sprite some months ago. Then a wooden staff will be OK for now

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »
So engineering helps in spriting or what? Because its pretty good for a novice :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
Yeah, you're right. I intentionally tried to avoid sypha looking like a girl. Keep in mind this is the first approach on Sypha's look. I could add a more feminine version, it depends on BMC.

Ah, OK. Cool! You're definitely on the right track, then. In that case, another suggestion: You might want to remove the little bit of blonde hair we can see. In the original, Sypha's face was almost completely obscured (except for maybe the art, where you could see the hair), which added to the character's mystery. Having the hood cover the hair so you'd only see its color at the end of the game (a la the original CV3) might be cool. But it works as it is :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
I tried to picture her holding the staff with two hands as darkmanx said, but I felt the walking would look strange, more like a soldier holding a rifle. The appear/disappear animation is nice idea, but it involves more work. So I decided to make her walk with the staff... well, not yet. I have only completed the walk cycle, i still need to add the staff (right hand). What kind of staff fits her best? Wooden staff or metal staff?

This is how she looks so far.
Shut up and take my money.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: July 18, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
WOW

Sypha looks AMAZING. Wish it was bigger but geez, it looks great. As for staff walking. I'd say walk with it like a Wizard would or have it held in one hand, slightly diagonal with the butt of the staff higher and behind her back.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »
+1
After some very busy days, i finally found time to complete the walk sprite. attack sprite will be the next
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:14:29 PM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:49 PM »
Ya know... If CV III had it's beginnings as an arcade title I believe you're Sypha would fit the bill to a "T". She looks like she has that classic arcade stylization. It's quite interesting to see.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:05 AM »
I agree with X, she have a King of Dragons vibe, very creative:

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
After some very busy days, i finally found time to complete the walk sprite. attack sprite will be the next

Love it dude. You should add some magic essence to the staff, that flickers in and out or something...

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:52 AM »
kaonstantine, you are the MAN!!! That looks amazing dude!  Fantastic work!  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2013, 01:30:12 AM »
So much for making sure it fits in with the other sprites in the game, especially the other heroes like Trevor.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
So much for making sure it fits in with the other sprites in the game, especially the other heroes like Trevor.
Of course, Kaonstantine could indeed do 2 more brand new sprites if he wished. However, I don't think this should be too much of an issue.

Tags: