Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What ever happened to *that* Dungeonite?  (Read 106383 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: What ever happened to *that* Dungeonite?
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
The old CV Dungeon!  :)
Oh, the nostalgia! I want to go back to 1999!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »
Several sites tried to recreate the magic of the 1999 dungeon but it just never seemed to work out to hold the same feeling. Nobody could be faulted for that. Old dungeon needed to be destroyed with all its greatness and all its flaws. Same as the Library of Alexandria. It sucked that happened and there's much that you can't get back, however it also forces you to find a way to move ahead in the best way possible.  If old dungeon was still around in the way that it was structured, had it not been destroyed in the way it was, a rebuild was inevitable. It couldn't keep operating as dysfunctionally as it did. Jorge was getting extremely frustrated at having to come to the boards to deal with drama all the time and Kurt was to the point of not even having a community anymore and just a site for reading about Castlevania.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:15:58 PM by Johnny »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
THANKS, OBAMA

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
THANKS, OBAMA

Well there was some positive in it. The fighting over people thinking the dungeon should be one way or another stopped and now there's multiple dungeons. The fragmentation of Castlevania Dungeons on the web seems to be working too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression everyone was happy to have places where they could run things the way they wanted to. Just my opinion but what do I know, I was never really part of that clique anyways so maybe I'm wrong about what makes the dungeon veterans happy.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »
Several sites tried to recreate the magic of the 1999 dungeon but it just never seemed to work out to hold the same feeling. Nobody could be faulted for that. Old dungeon needed to be destroyed with all its greatness and all its flaws. Same as the Library of Alexandria. It sucked that happened and there's much that you can't get back, however it also forces you to find a way to move ahead in the best way possible.  If old dungeon was still around in the way that it was structured, had it not been destroyed in the way it was, a rebuild was inevitable. It couldn't keep operating as dysfunctionally as it did. Jorge was getting extremely frustrated at having to come to the boards to deal with drama all the time and Kurt was to the point of not even having a community anymore and just a site for reading about Castlevania.

this was back in '99  surely it was not that bad.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
this was back in '99  surely it was not that bad.

Well back in the days of EZboard if you had a spam attack from multiple people and only one mod was on say Jorge, this would mean Jorge would be there for a good hour or more deleting 3 pages of spam threads. Now you could just ban someone and have their posts gone at the same time and also its a lot harder to sign up for e-mail now a days then it was back then so getting a new account is not half as easy as it used to be. Also nobody had range IP bans either. The community and the boards had huge problems then because the ideals were different. It wasn't just one or two people decide to be annoying and spam the boards. It was more like a conglomerate of people spamming the boards and annoying the mods together.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
Fuck that, we were the community. We didn't exist just to troll, but the board ultimately got wiped out and Kurt got himself a new place which has abided by its own rules ever since, just as we made ours.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
Fuck that, we were the community. We didn't exist just to troll, but the board ultimately got wiped out and Kurt got himself a new place which has abided by its own rules ever since, just as we made ours.

With all due respect, I do not see ICVD Forums as being anything like old Dungeon. It never was and it never will be. The beauty of old dungeon was that it was an Internet Forum full of diverse individuals, many of which didn't get along and weren't all buddy buddy. It also wasn't often that someone got thrown out because they didn't get along with the majority or went against the grain. This led to a lot of colorful discussions, debates and even some fun. It had a clash of many different elements which are absent from ICVD Forums because usually everyone always gets along and agrees with each other over there for the most part. If a smaller than larger majority don't, then that small majority aren't welcome and either they are driven off or are banned. This leads to other people seeing that example and either end up not coming or it can never become a diverse group because nobody unique is let in. So basically, it always ends up the same people talking about the same things. That is not a community. That's a clique, gang, exclusive club or whatever else you want to call it. Just my two cents. Take it for what its worth. Not trying to argue with you but I have to call it like I see it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:16:35 PM by Johnny »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
+1
The old CV Dungeon!  :)
Oh, the nostalgia! I want to go back to 1999!

Read it with Dracula's voice.

If a smaller than larger majority don't, then that small majority aren't welcome and either they are driven off or are banned. This leads to other people seeing that example and either end up not coming or it can never become a diverse group because nobody unique is let in. So basically, it always ends up the same people talking about the same things. That is not a community. That's a clique, gang, exclusive club or whatever else you want to call it. Just my two cents. Take it for what its worth. Not trying to argue with you but I have to call it like I see it.

Perhaps the same could be said of all forums.

Also why we can join without a invitation if its exclusive?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
Read it with Dracula's voice.

Perhaps the same could be said of all forums.

Also why we can join without a invitation if its exclusive?

Well lets put it this way. Think of ICVD Forums as Amish Country. If you come in there and you challenge their thought process and ways you get outcast and shunned. They will ban you and even if you're let back in, they never bring you into whatever inner circle they have.

If say here you and someone else have a disagreement, they are good friends with Jorge but they go to Jorge "I don't like him, ban him", Jorge won't do it because its not a good enough reason. If its ICVD on the other hand and someone goes to an admin over there in the same situation, they'll do it without question because the friendship is more important to them than being fair. See how that works. And if they don't ban you, they'll attack you like crazy until you snap so they can say they had reason to get rid of you (assuming you're not driven off from the frustration). If you read their rules it says flat out they don't care about fairness. This is what makes them the same as many other forums (as you pointed out) but vastly different from BOTH new AND old dungeon. If you're one of the cool kids who fits in with the flock you've got nothing to worry about.

TBH though its not worth getting into too much. I've dealt with this enough and its been long enough. I think the way I do and they think the way they do. That's pretty much it. Nothing has changed except the fact that I refuse to try to get them to see my point of view anymore. Its a waste of time and it just annoys me and other people. Its not worth it. It would just be like getting back on the never ending merry go round. Beyond what I've already said there's nothing really more else I could say other than it is what it is.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:05:01 PM by Johnny »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
Well, they are kind enough to warn people of that, so if you join its because you want to have some fun :P

Being serious now, I didnt knew that even the mods acted like that, they really moderate something or are only "users with super powah"?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Well, they are kind enough to warn people of that, so if you join its because you want to have some fun :P

Being serious now, I didnt knew that even the mods acted like that, they really moderate something or are only "users with super powah"?

I mean yes that's fair to say. It says flat out right in the rules these things:

Notes from the Staff

- We all hate you.

- You are unique...just like everyone else...

- Just because your mommy told you you were smart, doesn't make it true.

- Your whiny bullshit didn't work at any other forum, why would it work here?

- Just because it's the internet doesn't mean your safety's garunteed.

- Where does it say we have to be fair?

So yeah they do prepare you for that but then Freak can't in any way say "Well ICVD's community basically was Old Dungeon's community" because old dungeon wasn't run that way and was much more diverse and open to all types of users whether you liked them or didn't. Its the same way now in this dungeon only the rules are enforced more. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:19:35 PM by Johnny »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »
I see Johnny is still carrying baggage from a decade+ ago.

Why even bring it up?  They don't even post there that much, and many have matured or moved on.  It is not nearly the tough place it was long ago.
You should really post your thoughts in the past tense, not in the present tense.  You're only opening your own wounds and showing them to the people here... most don't know, won't relate, or won't care, at least not nearly as much as those people here who remember what happened (which will probably just be Bloodreign, Freak and I, as we're probably the few from ICVD who post here, and honestly, it seems you still haven't moved on, which is kind of disturbing).

However, yes... long ago, there was quite a hazing period that one had to endure at ICVD.  I will agree with that statement.
As Lelygax said, they did warn people of their mentality.
I will say nothing further in that regard.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
I see Johnny is still carrying baggage from a decade+ ago.

Why even bring it up?  They don't even post there that much, and many have matured or moved on.  It is not nearly the tough place it was long ago.
You should really post your thoughts in the past tense, not in the present tense.  You're only opening your own wounds and showing them to the people here... most don't know, won't relate, or won't care, at least not nearly as much as those people here who remember what happened (which will probably just be Bloodreign, Freak and I, as we're probably the few from ICVD who post here, and honestly, it seems you still haven't moved on, which is kind of disturbing).

However, yes... long ago, there was quite a hazing period that one had to endure at ICVD.  I will agree with that statement.
As Lelygax said, they did warn people of their mentality.
I will say nothing further in that regard.

True....I didn't phrase it right. To be honest you're right I haven't even been on those boards in years to be fair. I'm speaking from how the boards were last time I was there which was ages ago. I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt as to maybe they are doing things different over there. I don't know and it doesn't concern me anymore. Not to mention I was as big of a problem if not bigger than they were. It would be hypocritical of me to say "they did this and that" and not to say all the stuff I did too. I gave out Darkmoon's mod password years ago, I harassed PJK with all the others to no end, I laughed at Devil when he got a brick dropped on his head almost crippling him, when people got a rise out of me I gave it back to them tenfold. I was a huge douche and I deserved much of the treatment I got in those days. But not every user who got thrown out of there and ostracised was like me either. Every case is unique. So its not a matter of me saying my treatment wasn't fair, it was more than fair. That was never the point. Maybe I could have said in 1999 other users who became integral parts of ICVD Forums when I first signed up at old dungeon treated me unfairly but my actions in retaliation to whatever they did negates my ground to even stand on. So I wasn't at all trying to talk about my being treated fairly, I was making a general statement as to how it was. I don't know if that applied to everyone who got treated that way over there. I couldn't say. But considering I felt Darkmoon is a good guy and didn't do half of what I did and got treated like crap says a lot too.

I hold nothing against anyone but I do have to call the situation as it was. I may have been an abomination but from my recollections of ICVD Forums as a place open to all people I can't in good faith advise anyone that the community is warm and open to all people. Quite frankly because I only have bad memories and experiences of it.

However, the point I was making was old dungeon was old dungeon. It can't be recreated. It had its problems and it had things that made it great. This place is not its reincarnation but neither is ICVD Forums.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:13:46 PM by Johnny »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »
+1
Can we start hazing people again?

Tags:

anything