Poll

Which one is your favourite exploration Castlevania game?

Symphony of the Night (PSX)
12 (48%)
Circle of the Moon (GBA)
3 (12%)
Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
2 (8%)
Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
1 (4%)
Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
0 (0%)
Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
1 (4%)
Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
4 (16%)
Mirror of Fate (3DS)
1 (4%)
Lament of Innocence (PS2)
0 (0%)
Curse of Darkness (PS2)
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest (NES)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your favourite MetroidVania  (Read 20131 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
Since it features a map and some backtracking and exploration, I decided to include Mirror of Fate, because it resembles more a MetroidVania than a ClassicVania.
I also included both PS2 games, since the blue map and the RPG elements are present there, and Simon's Quest, because it was the first exploration Castlevania (though it didn't have a map, but it set the ground for what later CV would become for many games).
These are all very arbitrary decisions, and I didn't want to leave any possible vote out because of not including a game.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
Well, I tried to add Simon's Quest (NES) but it doesn't let me.
Please some mod can do it for me?
Thanks!  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
You still can fix the older if you want

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
+1
SotN. It blew my mind when it first came out and I still enjoy it to this day.

Although I'm not sure LoI and CoD aren't so much metroidvanias as they are dungeon crawlers.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
+1
I picked SoTN because I don't really consider Simon's Quest an MV. Symphony is like comfort food to me though. It's a game I pick up when I'm in an unfamiliar place and need something close to home. It's easy and it relaxes me. Even th CV Puzzle game helps somehow. Might be the music too...

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »
Oh, the music! It must be one of the albums I heard most in my entire life... I don't know, like... 500 times maybe.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
It truly has one of thr best soundtracks in the series. It and LoI are among my favorites.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:08 AM »
Mine are PoR, CoD, OoE and SotN (MV).
And in ClassicVania games, Bloodlines, without a doubt.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:37:32 AM »
+1
Well, i voted for SotN, but i like the same SotN, along with AoS and OoE.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 01:13:29 AM »
Well, i voted for SotN, but i like the same SotN, along with AoS and OoE.
Excellent selection of 3 games!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »
+1
Oh, this is easy. SotN.
It holds the title for being the very first ever video game soundtrack that I bought.
And my undying crush on Alucard (Thanks to Kojima's painting).

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »
Symphony is a fantastic game. Some of the other ones have aspects of being fantastic games, but they sorely lack in one area or another. It's not like anyone pretends Symphony is perfect or faultless; it simply contains the most interesting riffs on a much-explored concept with the ablest craftsmanship to bring those elements together.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
I elected Circle of the Moon, confident I'd be the first to vote for it... but I was wrong, it seems. Who is that nameless hero who did so before me?  :o

But here's the problem: I share an equally fervent enthusiasm for each (true) Metroidvania game on this list. CoD and LoI are, I agree, closer to dungeon crawlers. SQ, well, doesn't really fit the category. And as for MoF... I'm speechless.

Now, the Metroidvania genre is invariably dominated by SoTN, and for very good reason. But I have mine for loving CoTM.
For one, it's the first Castlevania game I'd ever played. An ordinary visit to a friend's house, at the time it came out, had granted me that honor. And so, half a decade later, I had "Awake" still ringing off in the depths of my memory long after I'd forgotten up to its very name. A miracle had me encounter it at the end an aimless internet search...

But, objectively, here's how Concerto of the Midnight Sun can stand out from amongst its compatriots:
- It's the only Metroidvania (along with OoE) that had a truly challenging level of difficulty.
- Its Dual Setup System was one of a kind, offering an abilities system more diverse than Sorrow's.
- Its music was nothing short from incredible.
- Its visuals, while blurred by the GBA's dark screen, were artistically gorgeous.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »
SOTN. Easily.

After that I'd probably say AOS.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »
Circle of the Moon is my favorite. I feel it did a good job of melding the whip-wielding gameplay with the Metroid exploration, and I liked the difficulty. The DSS system was pretty cool to play around with, as well.

I like Symphony of the Night, but I feel that the inverted castle feels undercooked. The backgrounds only got a slightly different tint (I feel they should have been completely different) and there's not a lot of variation in music to make the areas feel unique like they did in the first half of the game. It's still a great game, I just wish there was more variation in it.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Tags:

anything