Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest  (Read 57360 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »
And I just noticed that we will end up with a lot of awards for the 1st place, and not so many (or maybe none) awards for 2nd and 3rd place.

Actually, I suggested that the mods just choose alternates (from the 1st place awards) for the 2nd and 3rd places....

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
And I just noticed that we will end up with a lot of awards for the 1st place, and not so many (or maybe none) awards for 2nd and 3rd place.

Actually, I suggested that the mods just choose alternates (from the 1st place awards) for the 2nd and 3rd places....

Maybe if the contestants could make from 1 - 3 sprites for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places (if they want, not mandatory). So they could work on more than one idea, people would see more cool sprites and judges had more sprites to choose from.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
Maybe if the contestants could make from 1 - 3 sprites for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places (if they want, not mandatory). So they could work on more than one idea, people would see more cool sprites and judges had more sprites to choose from.

In fact, when I first suggested that contestants create all three sprites, I meant that each contestant would create an entire set, and then the top three winners would have their award sets added to a menu of sorts (9 sprites total, 3 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze awards). Then, on future contests, the winner could choose what award model he'd want to have added to his profile. That way, the artists get to have the award he idealized to be used the way he idealized it (of course, provided he wins THIS contest), and the future contestants get to choose among many creative awards, and have their unique one.

BUT like Darkman mentioned, not many artists have time to actually create three sprites, or don't want to.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
That animated bat is going to be hard to beat. Just say'n.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »

True. I like the idea of it being optional but not mandatory so that it gives everyone and any last minute participates a chance to create something.

Also I left a post but I think an official post should be made on the Spritework Request & Showcase Thread so that everyone knows that the contest is going on...

Mods?

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
Was it ever officially decided who would judge?

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
Was it ever officially decided who would judge?

I think we had 2, I volunteered but didn't really hear anything yet. Hope we get an official announcement soon.

I am not sweating it as long as every month we can switch out judges for the contests!

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
I volunteered too...I guess the only reason it matters to me is if I'm not gonna be judging, I don't have much time to find a program for and figure out how to make sprites so I can enter the contest.  If I'm judging, I've got a year to figure that out!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
And I came up with..A simon bust.  ;D

@Donoffrio: Don't forget to update your post with the image at 2x.

Thanks for your entry!

I updated the first post.
Judges are set chosen by first come first serve basis.
Of course if anyone decides they want to abdicate they can do so.

How about we have each entry include gold, silver and bronze variants?
That way we can see what they would look like for each possible winning place.
All 3 variants would be judged as a single entry.

Also what do you guys think the judgement criteria should be?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:32:08 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »
@Donoffrio: Don't forget to update your post with the image at 2x.

Thanks for your entry!

I updated the first post.
Judges are set chosen by first come first serve basis.
Of course if anyone decides they want to abdicate they can do so.

How about we have each entry include gold, silver and bronze variants?
That way we can see what they would look like for each possible winning place.
All 3 variants would be judged as a single entry.

Also what do you guys think the judgement criteria should be?

Here is my suggestion of our scoring system?

Adherence to theme X/10
Quality X/10
Animation X/10
Shading/Lighting X/10
Uniqueness X/10
Sharpness X/10
Multiple submissions X/10
Composition X/10
Level Of Detail X/20

Let me know if you guys agree?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
That's way over complicating it. We don't need to break down every aspect of spriting.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:24 AM »
Also I left a post but I think an official post should be made on the Spritework Request & Showcase Thread so that everyone knows that the contest is going on...
Mods?

I don't think it is necessary for an official post on another thread. This thread is already visible.

Please make the scoring system simple and easier.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 01:22:24 AM »

Adherence to theme X/10
Quality X/10
Animation X/10
Shading/Lighting X/10
Uniqueness X/10
Sharpness X/10
Composition X/10
Level Of Detail X/20

That's way over complicating it. We don't need to break down every aspect of spriting.

Too many variables indeed.

I think better would be:

Adherence to theme
Skill
Originality

They encompass everything, I believe. Multiple submissions shouldn't get a scoring, since each submission (when applicable), would be evaluated on it's own.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:02 AM »

Adherence to theme X/10
Quality X/10
Animation X/10
Shading/Lighting X/10
Uniqueness X/10
Sharpness X/10
Composition X/10
Level Of Detail X/20

Half of those (sharpness, detail, etc.) are covered under my original "Quality" aspect. The multiple submissions one shouldn't count unless the person entering creates totally separate entries, or if the contest specifically calls for multiple entries. Recoloring the same sprite twice shouldn't nab more points, since a recolor takes seconds.

Plot, how would originality work? Just a basic  "ten-or-zero" score based on whether the sprite is original or a recolor/edit?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:23:12 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:15 AM »
Plot, how would originality work? Just a basic  "ten-or-zero" score based on whether the sprite is original or a recolor/edit?

Adherence to theme would refer to the sprite's... Adherence to the theme. However, it's rate would be kinda determined by originality. You see, one can adhere to a theme, while not following its rules to it's literal extreme. That's where originality comes in. One can be original WHILE staying true to the theme, through interpretation. Suppose the contest calls for you to create a Castlevania boss based on a Halloween character. I could create a pumpkin headed man with a shotel, and it'd adhere to the theme to perfection, but would lose points in originality. On the other hand, I could create a boss based on candies, a monster made of stolen candies from sad children. It could lose a little on adherence but earn a lot on originality.

Originality, in my humble opinion, would automatically be a zero if the artist simply recolored an existing sprite (UNLESS the contest calls for a recolor). Frankensprites could earn some originality points, since recombining sprites in a cohese shape is complicated, but would still not get many originality points.

By "originality" I also mean "creativity". However, creativity by itself tells you to do whatever the hell you want while using artsy means, while originality tells you to twist an existing concept in a new creative way, while referring to the original concept. The contests here will call for art based on Castlevania most of the time (the original concept), thus I though "Creativity" is not exactly the correct term to use as a judging category, even though it DOES work. I suppose there will be contests calling for other sprites unrelated to Castlevania, and in this case, "Creativity" could be added to the judging categories, or outright replace "Originality". But for Castlevania based sprites, I though Originality is more accurate.

I also mentioned Skill. Skill is the most technical, since it requires the person to have precision, be detalist, have a hand in composition, sharpness, shading and overall aesthetics. One can be "original" or "creative", but still must maintain a level of skill to pull these off successfully enough to earn an award. And that's why I though about the mods awarding people who can pull off originality but not skill, with the Alloy Pot Roast, since I personally feel that it's kinda bad to not prize originality when it lacks skill. Someone skilled, but not original can simply earn the bronze award. I did not use "Quality" because quality is a by-product of skill. If you're skilled, your job has automatic quality to it. It's hard to judge "Quality" because it refers to something that doesn't really carry technical weight to it, and is more subjective. My Golden Bat might look "quality" to me, but look like crap to you. Thus "skill" avoids subjective opinions, while helping the judge to quantificate/explain how "qualitous" the job is through technicalities, I think.

It's "easy" to draw a fucking awesome Zombie sprite, but if you'll draw a tumbling rotting corpse, it's not exactly original, but can still be very technically good. In the other hand, someone can create an awesome new concept for a Zombie, but he lacks skill to make it look "pro", to put it in these terms.

All in all: The idea is that NO CONTESTANT is able to pull of perfect 10s on all three, because the work must be a balance of all parameters. If you're going to be incredibly original, you can't really adhere to the theme perfectly, and vice versa. However Skill is something else altogether, taking only the technicalities in consideration. This will allow everyone to get good rates in everything, but only a TRULY good mofo to win the contest, by being very balanced while being very skilled.

Or you know... The mods/judges can call this all bollocks :p
Sorry for the wall of text response.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:12:14 AM by theplottwist »

Tags: Fuck it