Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest  (Read 57017 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2014, 06:16:11 AM »
Either that or three individual images would work I gather. They should show an obvious progression of lest to greatest. Think of how the Potion, Great Potion, and Super Potion are represented in later CV games. They're identifiable as the same, but one looks obviously better than the other. You can tell just be looking at it.

I much prefer to present different sprites on a complete set than recolored ones. I'm fine with having each one judged separatelly.

(click to show/hide)

FINAL EDIT:
My latest, and definitive entry. Improved the sprite's animation, and I feel now that it's much superior to my previous version:

Here are the sprites that will be used if the golden bat wins, meant as preview only, and not animated since only the bat is up for judgment (yes they'll be animated too):

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:26:26 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »
Here comes a new challenger???

Did the CVIII trio, except instead of Grant I did Alucard.  Cause I don't really like Grant (sorry Grant fans).  And trios are nicer than ... quatros (?).  These are based off of the 8 bit portraits from CVIII, except Trevor, whose portrait looked like ass no matter how I modified the original, so I used another reference (I still don't really like how Trevor turned out).  The judges can judge whichever they feel is best.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
The idea was to have each winner get their award used as a prize in the forum.
Submitting 3 awards as a set is incompatible with that goal.

We will have to choose what we want to do:

Option 1:
Each entry submitted in multiple palettes for possible use as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place.
Each winner get's their sprite used as the award for that place from now on.

Option 2:
Each entry submitted as a set of 3 separate sprites, one for each place winner.
The 1st place winner gets their sprites used as awards as the first place prize.
The 2nd and 3rd place winners get the 1st place winner's awards for those places.

Option3:
The contest is split into 3 categories.
Each entry specifies whether it is for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place category.
Each entry is only evaluated against other entries of the same category.
Each category has only one winner and each winner gets their sprite used as a forum award.

Personally I like option 3.
We really need to get this decided asap.
In fact, I think I'm going to put up a poll for this in another thread.

EDIT:
Go vote, HERE.
The poll will last for 3 days. IF you don't vote, don't bitch about it later.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:04:58 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
I don't see the incompatibility issue. If contestant "anonymous_superspriter" submits sprites A B C which are three diferent sprites (no recolors), judges does NOT have the obligation of treat them as a set because "anonymous_superspriter" leave in the hands of the judges the freedom to pick A, B or C as 1st, 2nd or 3rd (or not to pick any of his sprites). In other words, any submission from any spriter competes with any other submission for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd

This mean the contestants doesn't require to make especific 1st, 2nd and 3rd sprites, instead, they make three sprites the way they want, and the judges are the ones who decide what sprites is used as 1st (the best score), 2nd (second best score) and 3rd.

Just an idea, of course

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
I must say that I found this contest, while useful (due to future contests), somewhat ... restrictive in imagination.  I think theplottwist more or less snagged the best idea to be used.  I know Uzo mentioned items, and other similar objects, in ascending order (or a whip, or the double and triple powerups and so on), but let's be honest here:  the winner "object" will most definitely be a figure (either human or creature or anything inbetween).

Also, because of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place format, the bronze, silver and gold concept is the most recognizable (again, theplottwist).  The trio of busts I submitted, for example, don't really occur in any natural "order".  In CVIII for example, each character has their strengths, weaknesses, and specific uses.  The only way I could ofset this was by coloring them in the bronze, silver and gold palettes, to make it more apparent they are trophies and representing particular places in the contest.

This is more or less just my thoughts on this contest.  I won't be hurt if it has no bearing on the results or submissions, but it was with this frame of mind that I approached, and felt somewhat ... at a lack for imagination or interest because of what the end result required.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
Okay, my perpetual confusion aside (the first post edit helps, but I'm still not sure what the hell's going on) on the scoring system, something about this one is nagging at me.

There are three winners to this contest, right?

Each contestant must enter three sprites also, correct?

So how the hell do you determine who gets what award? Does Firsty get all three of his/her sprites used? Or does Firsty get his 1st Place award used, Secondy his 2nd place award used, and Thirdy his 3rd place award used? Or do the three winners get to choose which of their entries is used for the spot?

I mean I don't know how many times I can say "overcomplicated," but when the guy who's been in sprite contests for six-something years now has no clue what's going on, I think that's a sign.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
So how the hell do you determine who gets what award?

What i understand is...
One judge picks 3 sprites he considers the bests (No matter if those are from the same contestant or from different contestants). He gives 4 points to the best of the three, 2 to the 2nd best and 1 to the "less good" of the three. This mean in the end, the judges will be giving an score for a minimum of 3 different sprites or a maximum of 9 different sprites. So if you win the first prize, doesn't mean all the sprites in your set are used as award, but only one. I'm not sure, i'm also confused ^^

but people has already submitted sprites. ^^
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:22:40 PM by kaonstantine »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »

LOL

OK, The 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest has been put off until next year due to the impossibility to establish a simple scoring system ^^

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2014, 02:12:51 AM »
I think the same as Dracula9, i made something but im going to wait a little to understand perfectly te rules and then i think im going to post my work if it fit and see what happen XD

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2014, 04:25:07 AM »
The rules are cool as stated on the start of the thread.

I was under the impression the judges could pick whatever they wanted for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places...

Let's drop this "set" business.

The "set"'s is more for the participants so that they actually have 3 different chances to win. Not that 1 person wins the whole thing and only their awards are used...?\

Am I missing something?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 05:32:53 AM »
If the rules were cool, we wouldn't have spent six pages trying to figure them out. :P

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 05:50:18 AM »
If the rules were cool, we wouldn't have spent six pages trying to figure them out. :P

I was talking about now, but Good point! lol ;D

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 05:57:45 AM »
I must say that I found this contest, while useful (due to future contests), somewhat ... restrictive in imagination.  I think theplottwist more or less snagged the best idea to be used.  I know Uzo mentioned items, and other similar objects, in ascending order (or a whip, or the double and triple powerups and so on), but let's be honest here:  the winner "object" will most definitely be a figure (either human or creature or anything inbetween).

Also, because of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place format, the bronze, silver and gold concept is the most recognizable (again, theplottwist).  The trio of busts I submitted, for example, don't really occur in any natural "order".  In CVIII for example, each character has their strengths, weaknesses, and specific uses.  The only way I could ofset this was by coloring them in the bronze, silver and gold palettes, to make it more apparent they are trophies and representing particular places in the contest.

This is more or less just my thoughts on this contest.  I won't be hurt if it has no bearing on the results or submissions, but it was with this frame of mind that I approached, and felt somewhat ... at a lack for imagination or interest because of what the end result required.

If if makes you feel any better, I am in love with 2/3 of your submission, and if my game ever gets continued I will ask you to allow me to use 'em for the character icons.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
If if makes you feel any better, I am in love with 2/3 of your submission, and if my game ever gets continued I will ask you to allow me to use 'em for the character icons.

I like all the icons, honestly, even if they don't reflect a progression from "lest to best".
And Jorge highlighted something that I'm expecting to happen in every contest: imaginative ways to use all submissions. The true goal of this contest, in MY opinion, is to generate interest in honing the artist's skills to razor sharp (through the will to win), so virtually anything he draws will be used by someone in something.

I was afraid people would feel desincouraged from drawing because the "losing" submissions would be used for nothing, but by how things are going, I see that this will NOT happen.

About the lack of "imagination"... Well... I think there ARE better concepts than mine... There always are  :P
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Tags: Fuck it 

anything