Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Tri-Monthly Dungeon 3D Art Contest (Deadline for entries Dec 31th 2014) UPDATED  (Read 21789 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: 1st Annual Dungeon 3D Art Contest (Deadline for entries Nov. 30th 2014)
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 01:44:15 AM »
@darkmanx: Don't you think it would be better if the 3d contests are held every quarter? This one can be extended til the end of December to give more time to the participants. Once more people with experience join in, then the length of the contests would start to shorten.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: 1st Annual Dungeon 3D Art Contest (Deadline for entries Nov. 30th 2014)
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »
@darkmanx: Don't you think it would be better if the 3d contests are held every quarter? This one can be extended til the end of December to give more time to the participants. Once more people with experience join in, then the length of the contests would start to shorten.

You just read my mind and I just got a PM.

This contest is extended till the end of December

I'll have to think about the quarter thing. Back in the day in college, we were making full environments in 3 months time span so I think it will depend on the contest type.

Let's just go by contests type and then decided in real time on the fly.

I can already tell you January's contest will be another small prop, so 2 months for those kinds of contest I think is more than reasonable.

March will mostly likely be a full environment and that will be a 3 month contest. I am also scheduling the contest types in a way that you can also use the single props for previous contests to populate your scene in the new environmental contest.

If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions for me let me know!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:18:32 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
more progress. The cross is just a place holder, I was going to have a normal map and bake the lid detail from a higher poly coffin but  but I've decided to just go with flat shading now.

Go ahead and add your extra maps if you want the contest has been extended another month. ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:18:49 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
(click to show/hide)

Since the contest is extended till the end of December, I guess I have time to do a piece to for fun.

Here is the beginning of my workflow.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
NICE! I can't wait to see the final result.

As of now.... It looks like a milk chocolate cake.... nom nom nom.

Offline Aelfwine

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 2nd Place Award
    • Awards
Nice start, darkmanx_429.

Did you use an alpha for the cross and bat?

You're probably already familiar with this artist but you can see some really nice methods for doing cool details here: http://www.youtube.com/user/gmagno2000/videos

I think he draws a mask and uses inflate to get something to start with but if you've unwrapped your lowest subdivision I think you could also use a texture and convert that to a mask and do the same thing.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Nice start, darkmanx_429.

Did you use an alpha for the cross and bat?

You're probably already familiar with this artist but you can see some really nice methods for doing cool details here: http://www.youtube.com/user/gmagno2000/videos

I think he draws a mask and uses inflate to get something to start with but if you've unwrapped your lowest subdivision I think you could also use a texture and convert that to a mask and do the same thing.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
What do you think about using these awards for the 3D Contest?

1ST:

2ND:

3RD:

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
Honestly, as I said in the awards contest, they don't look anything resembling awards at all. Maybe ask Plot Twist to make another set? Or use Plot Twist's for all contests?

Or have someone 3D model some? (Spinning coffin of Alucard's SotN save room?)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Honestly, as I said in the awards contest, they don't look anything resembling awards at all. Maybe ask Plot Twist to make another set? Or use Plot Twist's for all contests?

Or have someone 3D model some? (Spinning coffin of Alucard's SotN save room?)

We already have different awards for the music contest it would be nice to have different awards for the this contest as well.

I'll think about about asking The Plot Twist, but I was trying to just use awards from October's sprite contest...

I also liked Jop's awards as an alternate....

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
The LOS ones? Would make sense, given they're 3D entries in the franchise, and they at least look like awards.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
You guyz should've had a "3D Award GIF" contest prior to the other contests, hahahaha. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Let's just use the golden bat for all art contests.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Agreed. They look the best and will be nice and consistent.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Ok, then it's decided that we will use the GoldBat icons for all the art contest! ;D

Tags:

anything