Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Explains how we got to such a divisive Internet experience.  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Explains how we got to such a divisive Internet experience.
« on: December 04, 2023, 11:42:01 AM »
Have post-Social Media sentiments seep into various ideology and fandom dimensions and you get what we got. 

This editorial suggests a possible solution; a return to the smaller pre-Social Media community format, such as what led us here to the CVDF in the first place.

These days I’d call it Discord. ;] ;] ;]

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Explains how we got to such a divisive Internet experience.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
We were a bunch of trolls posting the nastiest shit we could, chasing everyone off that we could. I don't think the internet has gotten more divisive. I think it's just spread out more.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 07:39:02 PM »
+1
We were a bunch of trolls posting the nastiest shit we could, chasing everyone off that we could.

But how fun it was. Maybe our edgelord habits and exclusivity were childish, but there was a real sense of community there. I felt it on all the boards I used to post at. A gathering of like-minded individuals discussing common interests. Good luck finding that on social media, especially where you're likely to be called problematic just for making a joke.

Haven't watched the video yet, but internet communities generally aren't as enjoyable as they once were. The internet as a whole has a lot of things stacked against it now, like how every search engine is ruled by sponsorship, making it nigh impossible to draw up any good results. Even when searching for specific keywords right down to the exact descriptor of a website you visited but foolishly didn't bookmark, Google et al. still make it a chore to find. YouTube is the same—once a place to find coverage on just about every subject, now the algorithm feeds you whatever garbage was bought and paid for. It's just wholesale suckage now on the dry teat of commerce, where people aren't customers anymore but willing consumers. F that noise.

People used to have websites with niche content and interesting ideas. Those virtually don't exist anymore.

I know this smacks of old man yells at cloud, but I stand by social media being an utter cesspit where the pursuit of ideas is dead.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 08:11:59 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 01:07:33 PM »
What’s an edgelord?

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 02:46:35 AM »
Social media has actually killed business at some boards, but places like Shmups forum has a lot of old farts that still prefer the medium of the messageboard, though it's Discord kind of went weird, so I left it, now leaving me at 12 Discords, a majority I barely visit. Thankfully the messageboard didn't go gaga.  It took me a number of years to get into any kind of social media, and of course it was Facebook, no thanks to Paavo for that one (:P), and I met a ton of old classmates there (and I do mean old, one is a friend of mine since our kindergarten year in 1980).

Social media, and the coof of 2020 (Nevar 4get) have turned people into assholes outside of the internet, I work retail, trust me, I have noticed.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 10:54:37 PM »
Paavo!  There's a name I haven't heard in a while.  How're they?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 11:29:04 AM »
Paavo is sometimes found on Facebook.
Sometimes.

Also, love the Kurzgesagt videos.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: