Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Wii & DS online shutting down  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: February 27, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-killing-online-services-for-wii-ds-1532216462

No more online play for Mario Kart Wii/DS. :'( Effective May 20th.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:28:59 AM »
Never played anything online with my Wii, did pick up everything I wanted off the VC before that goes/went kaput.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:30:26 AM »
Hopefully they don't shut down the Wii Virtual Console, especially since only a small fraction of its games have even been ported to the Wii U VC, and there's still all the titles released overseas that they haven't bothered to bring here.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
So, is it just online play or is it the VC as well?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »
The article states the Wii and DSi shops are here to say, but who knows when those might be shut down as well. Seems Nintendo are slowly stripping away the online capacity of older systems; first Wii remodels which have no Internet functionality, then shutting down WiiConnect24, now the online servers for gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:35:27 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »
The article states the Wii and DSi shops are here to say, but who knows when those might be shut down as well.

Hopefully the shops stay as there are still people out there (myself included) who are downloading titles for the systems. I'm still awaiting the next Shantae title  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
If you wrote a threatening letter to Nintendo, stating how you will no longer buy anymore of their products, and that they have robbed you blind for the last time. i am sure they would bring the Wii and DS back online, in some form or another. Even putting up a video on multiple webpages addressing your concern, I am sure the masses would follow.

For starters we could all agree Nintendo are mocking people for not buying the WiiU, or 3DS. So nobody will buy any newer console again, and Nintendo is to thank for it.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
Nintendo isn't going to keep the online functionality for these products going forever. No company would.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
I don't think there's enough people who care about playing Wii and DS games online, to be honest.

A big part of the reason the service is disappearing is it was provided by GameSpy, and Nintendo have been restructuring their online services, I believe doing things in-house. GameSpy were also apparently dicks and abruptly shut off some PC gaming servers without notification so are very unreliable.

Would be cool if Nintendo restructured and brought back online gaming for select Wii and DS games, but I don't see it happening.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline The Zeldaniac

• Richter Belmont, Vampire Hunter
  • Maria Renard is WCE
    • Zeldaniac's YouTube channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
I just hope that I'll still be able to go on and off the Wii Shop Channel to re-download any of the pre-purchased games that I might want back.
Everything happens for a reason. We can assume for the worse, but we can also hope and pray for the better. :)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »
Get an SD card and always have 'em on you. 8)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:10:18 PM »
I need to get on there and get rebirth and rondo.

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Tags: