Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: games/series that should be revived  (Read 24042 times)

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
Seiken Densetsu

I loved the first two (Final Fantasy Adventure/Secret of Mana) and I agree, I do miss the original series. The music was also incredible.  :'( Now I need to go home and play some Sword of Mana!

Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure) OST ~ 1st Chapter - Determination

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
That is secret of mana right?

Yeah, Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu II. First one is Final Fantasy Adventure for the original Gameboy (Or Mystic Quest in Europe, not to be confused with Mystic Quest Legend/Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for the SNES.). Also, there's the remake of SD1 on the Gameboy Advance - Sword of Mana.

And yes, god yes - Phantasy Star 2 is notoriously hard. PS4 is really easy though, oddly enough.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:57:51 PM by shelverton. »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »
Yeah, Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu II. First one is Final Fantasy Adventure for the original Gameboy (Or Mystic Quest in Europe, not to be confused with Mystic Quest Legend for the SNES.). Also, there's the remake of SD1 on the Gameboy Advance - Sword of Mana.

And yes, god yes - Phantasy Star 2 is notoriously hard. PS4 is really easy though, oddly enough.

right the overworld theme for ffa is

Final Fantasy Adventure Music ~ 4 : Endless Battlefield

I think this was on sword of mana as well on the gba could this be considered a cult hit?

As for psII I guess all old school rpgs are hard because Dragon warrior 1 is hard, FF1 is hard, and psII that is crazy  :o
oh and mother from what I have seen mount ito is crazy last time I checked from watching a lets play.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
Ducktales should totally be remade as a platformer. When I was a kid I loved that game! Also, Darkwing Duck!
I loved Vice: Project Doom. The game wasn't all-too original, ripping off the cutscene style from Ninja Gaiden and the gameplay from several other games, but I liked that they had three styles of gameplay like Bayou Billy.

I played Breath of Fire 2 for GBA and 4 for PS, both of them were great RPGs.

Also, remember Karnov?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:35:44 PM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Also another one that should come back rpg wise is the bouncer I never had the chance to play it but, it seems to be good from what I hear and shadow hearts.
The Bouncer could've used some more tweaking, gameplay-wise. It was baiscally a 3D Beat 'em up and if the controls were better, might've actually been damn awesome. But yeah, in a way, I agree. It probably didn't get a sequel because of fan reaction, but if they addressed all the problems and fixed them with a sequel, I most definitely would've got it.

Shadow Hearts is a series I REALLY wanted to continue onward. It had the potential to be long lasting like many other series, and if anything, I really would've loved to see the series' approach to other decades. Shadow Hearts in the 50s, one set in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, even up to contemporary time. That would've been awesome. An fantasy RPG set in our world, dealing with "secret history" and the occult, connected through the decades.

It's almost a crime that we'll probably never get a good Disney game like the elder days. Disney Interactive mainly handle a lot of the Disney stuff now. Even if they let Capcom crazy with some of their licenses, Capcom's a shell of what it used to be.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:45:59 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
The game wasn't all-too original, ripping off the cutscene style from Ninja Gaiden and the gameplay from several other games, but I liked that they had three styles of gameplay like Bayou Billy.

I don't think that utilizing cut-scenes like in Ninja Gaiden is a rip-off. It's simply a way of progressing the story and makes then game even more engaging if you have faces to go with the names. And it's also pretty hard not to use different styles of play that are not already featured in other games. After all, this is a NES title we're talking about here, from an era that was at the time, very limited in what they could do.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »
The Bouncer could've used some more tweaking, gameplay-wise. It was baiscally a 3D Beat 'em up and if the controls were better, might've actually been damn awesome. But yeah, in a way, I agree. It probably didn't get a sequel because of fan reaction, but if they addressed all the problems and fixed them with a sequel, I most definitely would've got it.

Shadow Hearts is a series I REALLY wanted to continue onward. It had the potential to be long lasting like many other series, and if anything, I really would've loved to see the series' approach to other decades. Shadow Hearts in the 50s, one set in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, even up to contemporary time. That would've been awesome. An fantasy RPG set in our world, dealing with "secret history" and the occult, connected through the decades.

It's almost a crime that we'll probably never get a good Disney game like the elder days. Disney Interactive mainly handle a lot of the Disney stuff now. Even if they let Capcom crazy with some of their licenses, Capcom's a shell of what it used to be.

All ways thought bouncer was a rpg since it was made by squaresoft I really do not know much about it but it was a beat em up and it was hated on uhh reminds me of god hand I believed ign gave that a 5 or something  :rollseyes: .

Also a series that should be revived is the Valis series shame what happened to her and the cast in the end.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
I pretty much agree with all the series that have been mentioned thus far. I'd also like to see a revival of a rather obscure one... Arkista's Ring. I like it because it was basically a more action oriented Legend of Zelda. I even had thoughts over the years of hacking it into an 'LoZ Gaiden' starring the Princess herself.

Also... a revival of Megaman would be nice, Crapcom. And that piece-of-shit Xover game doesn't count. Let's try reviving the series with actual quality games.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
I'd love for Capcom to go back to their fucking 2-D side-scrolling beat'em ups, like the Final Fight and their 2 D&D games. To this day I've never seen such a complex (and in the good way) side-scroller like the 2 D&D games. Level-ups, inventory management, spells, in-game gold to buy stuff, branching paths, secrets, and even different weapon load-outs, like the fighter could swap out his shield for a 2nd sword, or the Cleric could ditch his mace for a staff or a morning-star. Hell they even gave the alternate sprites of the spell-casters a few different spells.

Mike's review here is one of best, in my opinion. Just make sure you get a few buddies and make sure you play the 2nd game (Dungeon of Doom is the first game Shadow Over Mystara is the 2nd) if you only decide to play one of them. When you load SoM you need to hit one of the F keys to set up the config to accept 4 players.

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/06/18/dungeons-and-dragons-shadow-over-mystara/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:11:00 PM by Phoenix7786 »
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
+1
right the overworld theme for ffa is

Final Fantasy Adventure Music ~ 4 : Endless Battlefield

I think this was on sword of mana as well on the gba could this be considered a cult hit?

As for psII I guess all old school rpgs are hard because Dragon warrior 1 is hard, FF1 is hard, and psII that is crazy  :o
oh and mother from what I have seen mount ito is crazy last time I checked from watching a lets play.

The Sword of Mana version.
I have Sword of Mana.  :D
Sword of Mana OST - (06) Endless Battlefield
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »
The Sword of Mana version.
I have Sword of Mana.  :D
Sword of Mana OST - (06) Endless Battlefield

It was overall a good game but there were somethings about I did not like but overall it is decent game my favorite spots were the vampire mansion hmm that seems to be the only place I remember.  :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:59:11 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »
Gestu Fuma would work wonders but who could do it right?
(click to show/hide)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 01:51:45 AM »
If Shadow Hearts ever gets a sequel, it needs to have a cameo boss battle against Yuri & Alice with this as the BGM:
Shadow Hearts AST, T01: n.d.e / near death experience - Muddy Water edit
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a new take on Hagane.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:59:19 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »

My main problem with Sword of Mana was that all the dungeons were suddenly really, really small. I remember the dungeons in FF Adventure to be pretty large and challenging. Also, you had to bring keys and stuff. In Sword of Mana, some of the bigger dungeons were suddenly only 3 or 4 screens. Though I never played through the game as the girl so I don't know how the dungeons differ between the boys' quest. But for example, I remember the airship in FF Adventure to be pretty big, and in Sword of Mana it was tiny. Also, I missed the overworld map, and being able to explore it on a chocobo! It had a very Zelda feeling to it with some hidden places and stuff. Sword of Mana had nothing like that.

Offline Arma

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My, currently outdated, blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
I would like Capcom to give Breath of Fire another chance, I liked Dragon Quarter and want to see what they can do with the gameplay from there.

Something new about Story of Thor/Legend of Oasis.

At least a HD collection of Legacy of Kain. And considering that Raziel's story was over in Defiance I wouldn't be too concern with the voice actor, besides Michael Bell is probably retired by now. But I'm willing to listen if they bring a new voice actor that is as badass as Michael Bell. However, as long as Simon Templeman returns in his role of Kain, I'm a happy camper.

Gargoyle's Quest.

A Valkyrie Profile game, maybe about the remaining valkyrie Hrist because the other two already have a game.

Zone of the Enders.

That sequel of Dead Head Fred they promised and never delivered.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:15:03 AM by Arma »

Tags:

anything