Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches  (Read 43361 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »
Oh the horror genre is a very diverse one, but the "promiscuous girls get killed" and "lone, usually virginal female survivor" tropes are big in the slasher sub-genre. Especially in the 80s when that sub-genre was hugely popular. The formula got mixed up a little during the short, awful self-aware slasher revival of the 90s that followed the success of "Scream" but it's usually fairly rigid. Something "Scream" itself commented on in a "ironically pointing it out" 90s kind of way.

I'd like to step in and say that I love horror movies and have since I was a little kid (though mostly I like old monster movies rather than more recent gore-fests that's a matter of personal taste) I'm not trying to condemn them here, just to examine them and the messages they send.

Eh I don't think this particular topic is turning away too many women Lely ;P

Yeah even if I do not watch the most horror I tend to like the classics, massive amounts of blood is not necessary to invoke fear, even with the vast genre I tend to not watch them  :(  . But I tend to like some of the classic like the seventh seal I watched it along time ago and have not completed it yet but it was good. I guess I like thematically induced stories instead of pure gory stuff.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »
Also, thought I'd post this follow-up to the blog post I linked earlier:

www.kentaiblog.com/2013/03/no-comment-sarkeesian.html

Another thought provoking post from that blog, good stuff. It's really too bad that Sarkeesian has decided to abstain from the dialog she claims to want to participate in, instead just turning it into a carefully crafted lecture to support her own views. This could damage the discourse in the gaming community at large and just reinforce stereotypes of feminists, while simply splitting the opinions into two camps instead of actually causing introspection and discussion.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
+2
Another thought provoking post from that blog, good stuff. It's really too bad that Sarkeesian has decided to abstain from the dialog she claims to want to participate in, instead just turning it into a carefully crafted lecture to support her own views. This could damage the discourse in the gaming community at large and just reinforce stereotypes of feminists, while simply splitting the opinions into two camps instead of actually causing introspection and discussion.

Word.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
I love "The Cabin In The Woods" 'cuz it turns all those tropes upside down by deconstructing 'em.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
I have to give it to Bob. Those two videos were done exceptionally well and really drove home what everyone's trying to say, especially when he talks about God in the first video. I haven't watched what's-her-name's vids, but now I don't think I really want to. I'm all for feminism so long as it's not fascist orientated. Isaac Asimov, aside from being a prolific sci-fi writer was also a feminist and a strong supporter of women.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
+1
I have to give it to Bob. Those two videos were done exceptionally well and really drove home what everyone's trying to say, especially when he talks about God in the first video. I haven't watched what's-her-name's vids, but now I don't think I really want to. I'm all for feminism so long as it's not fascist orientated. Isaac Asimov, aside from being a prolific sci-fi writer was also a feminist and a strong supporter of women.

You're really not missing anything. And I didn't know that about Mr. Asimov. I'm learning! Yay!
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
To be fair, not allowing comments on her videos is one thing I can't blame Ms. Sarkeesian too much for. Youtube comments are almost always horribad.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
Yeah, it is, but when its a debate and she have been received donations, she should let it open. How the persons that donated can give their feedback and say what they think if she did that? She even disabled the option for rate her video Gunlord. :(
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 07:39:06 PM »
I love "The Cabin In The Woods" 'cuz it turns all those tropes upside down by deconstructing 'em.
That is one of the most original horror movies I've seen in years. It's fantastic!
And Chris Hemsworth must be Hollywood's hottest property right now.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
+1
The knife as a phallus -- I was expecting that to come up.

Yes, it's small, but the analogy of a bladed object to a phallus is almost as old as that of spears and pillars. It's a, um, anthropology thing, or something. The basic idea is this: Anything that's long and round or that can pierce is phallic in nature (makes you wonder about all those warmongers and gun collectors out there). A spear is obvious enough, but it also follows from that theory that a sword is phallic as well and in turn any type of blade. Now, slashing with a blade isn't very phallic, but stabbing is and all too often a sword or blade is depicted as being thrust into someone. Phallic nature. Consider the legend of how Japan came to be (no pun intended). Izunagi thrust his sword into the ocean repeatedly, turning up foam and that foam became the islands of Japan. Hell, just the description sounds sexual. Consider the legend of Michael guarding Eden. He's a giant, flaming sword. Personally, I think that's the story of the first STD. Think about it. Anyway, if you look at a lot of myths and legends, especially creation myths, if you replace objects in them with penises or vaginas, they start to make some sense. In the case of the slasher flick, it's a bit of a reversal. Life is created through sex; life, or rather peace and happiness, is destroyed through sex. Whether you agree with it or not, that's just what the idea is.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
+1
So this happened.
Feminism versus FACTS (RE Damsel in distress)

For those not familiar with Thunderf00t he is one of the most popular "youtube atheists" who started springing up about 5 years or so ago with a little under 170,000 subscribers.

He's also an Islamaphobe and ethnocentrist who has demonstrated more than once that he has no qualifications to talk about social science, or even that he recognizes the validity of the social sciences. Thus we have the long rant in the video above where he mixes a discussion of recurring messages in popular culture with criticisms of real world actions. I. e. the whole part about Doctors "objectifying" patients and that caring about a loved one in real life should be criticized. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if you found a crackpot academic somewhere who would agree with that.) It's too bad that he does this on the cusp of making the valid observation that limited memory space/time constraints contributed to the widespread use of the Damsel in Distress as an instantly understandable and compelling set-up for a game.

He does make a good point about Double Dragon Neon though, which I didn't know. Interpreting strength strictly to mean physical strength might be a little nitpicky, but eh. He's popular enough that I won't be surprised if this video influences a lot of gamer's thinking on this subject.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:12:23 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
I never heard of this guy but I agree with him except the fact he have been a little harsh with some responses.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Wow. Just wow. This chick has no credibility with me at all. And before anyone says anything, I am a feminist in so far as I believe in gender equality.
Yes, I called her a chick. I like that word and I don't get the negative connotation people have for it.
Oh, and her research failed to mention the two games Zelda starred in on the CD-i. Yeah, they were shitty games, but at least they exist. Surprised no one mentioned them. And I'm flabbergasted she made no mention of Metroid.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2013, 07:59:08 AM »
She obviously has an agenda, and common sense will interfere with it. Of course she wouldn't mention them!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
Hey hey hey Inccubus, I believe in gender equality and she doesnt have credibility with me too, but wait. Its part 1, we need to watch part 2 to really know what she is reserving for it, because if you watch all the video you can clearly see that she doesnt used Super Princess Peach but mentioned and said that she is reserving it for talk later.

While I dislike the fact that she asked for money that she simply didn't needed for these videos and the fact that she tries to be a sensasionalist girl elevating everything to deranged levels, I atleast still want to see what she has reserved to part 2. Maybe she should have some real points in this.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: