Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Overrated  (Read 14226 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
Howard Stern put it best that bronies are the nerds' nerds.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
Yep Lely, that's about the size of it. It's too bad when actual computer innovators pass away they don't get nearly as much credit or attention.

Howard Stern put it best that bronies are the nerds' nerds.

They're reverse-Goths. Like goths and some punkers they break away from the rigid constraints of the mainstream by conforming to the rigid constraints of another group. They just need pastel eyeliner and Pinkie Pie shirts that say "No one understands me or my unique perspective on life."

I've seen several episodes of the show and they were all good, but not to the point that I would go out of my way to watch them. Generally I have enough anthropomorphic kids shows from my own childhood I can be geeky nostalgic about. (Sonic the Hedgehog, Rescue Rangers,  Gummi Bears, the list goes on...)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:04:00 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
Oh, man! This is like something done for me!  :)

Let me start: Metal Gear Solid, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Crash Bandicoot...
The Godfather, Batman: The Dark Knight, Pulp Fiction, Memento, Saving Private Ryan...

Basically you hate everything good. :p
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
Yep Lely, that's about the size of it. It's too bad when actual computer innovators pass away they don't get nearly as much credit or attention.

I cant even imagine what will happen when Richard Stallman dies, since he did Linux (GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux, in the case that someone try to nitpick) and have become a sort of meme, because of the way that he says freedom this and freedom that. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Basically you hate everything good. :p
I don't hate those things, I just don't think they are SO GREAT as almost everyone says they are.

But I love Castlevania, Megaman, Final Fantasy, Mario, Sonic, Tales, Bioshock, Star Wars...

They're reverse-Goths. Like goths and some punkers they break away from the rigid constraints of the mainstream by conforming to the rigid constraints of another group. They just need pastel eyeliner and Pinkie Pie shirts that say "No one understands me or my unique perspective on life."
I guess many of us here in this forum broke away from mainstream constraints while not falling into any other established group constraints, and that's what makes us unique and different from each other.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
The thing about My Little Pony isn't just that it's overrated, it's that its fanboys seem completely oblivious to how creepy and off-putting it seems to people that aren't into it.

Actually that's why a lot of them do it.

Then there's one of my college buddies. I made him sit through an episode of MLP:FIM. ... AND HE NAMED ALL THE CHARACTERS THAT WERE ALSO IN G1! I was like, "Whoa, dude... That's really sad."  :-X
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
Yeah, I think Bioshock is overrated. Story isn't anything special, morality mechanics are absolutely brain-dead, and the game ended about an hour after the narrative wrapped up. If it wasn't set in a neat-looking Art Deco Atlantis no one would give a damn about it. About the only thing I like is that it doesn't have quick time events. Totally not a worthy successor to System Shock.

Bioshock 2 was actually pretty good, though. Maybe because my expectations were so low after the first game.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »
+1
I kinda agree about Firefly. My friend told me to watch the series because it's "omg such amazing sci-fi" but after watching it for a while I was all "Okay, so it's a space adventure flick. About a bunch of renegades... in space. Really friggin' original".

Also agree with Pulp Fiction. I mean it was entertaining, and gained its fame for being a combination of unusual stories. But frankly, the stories SUCK. People remember the movie for its characters and individual memorable scenes, well throwing in a bunch of colorful characters in funny scenes does not make it a good movie.
Tarantino in general is horribly overrated IMHO. His films are entertaining, but not genius as people make them out to be. Pointless dialogs and ultra violence do not make a good movie.

Totally disagree with Memento and Requiem for a Dream. Yeah, I know, it's IMHO. But those two made my list for being unusually shocking and original. The Memento ending was more shocking that the Ending of Fight Club to me, and making a twist ending that isn't predictable or uninteresting is not easy.
Requiem for a Dream was genius. Aronofsky's camera angles, his frightening depiction of drug-infused delusions, and the brilliant dramatic soundtrack create a personal view of the horror of drug addiction like no other. I remember when I watched the movie with my friends, by the end we were just sitting there, unable to say anything but "wow, horrifying". Like a reviewer said about the movie- "Requiem for a Dream" not only makes you not want to ever use drugs; It kinda makes you not want to go on living.
A movie that has such an emotional impact on people is no less than brilliant.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »
If I have to disagree with something it's with Bioshock. I believe all 3 games are a masterpiece.
They keep telling me that System Shock is better. I didn't play it. But I don't have a problem with it. It's like when some people argue that the first SMB was the best Mario, while other people say it's SMB 3, but I TOTALLY think that Super Mario World was better than all SMB NES games, for obvious reasons. And that SM64 must be better than SMW and Sunshine than SM64. And I'm completely sure the best Mario games ever are the Galaxy games, also for obvious reasons. I mean, Levine was responsible for System Shock, maybe it is a masterwork like they say, but when technology allowed him to do it better, he did it. It's the same for Nintendo, Mario games were getting better and better as technology was increasing.
Don't get me wrong: technology doesn't make excellent games by itself. You need the genius of Levine, of Nintendo, or whatever genius you want to put.
This applies, the way I see it, to 3D games, but not so much to 2D games. I can equally enjoy a good NES game and a good new 2D PC game with modern looks.
And about 3D (and this is very personal) I just find anything previous to Playstation 2 to look VERY OLD. I just can't play it, I can't stand that old 3D. It's like AVGN once said, kind of "it's like it was a limbo for 3D games, when graphics weren't still good".
It's just the way my tastes are. There are some obvious exceptions, like N64 CV games, or Zelda games...
But most of times, I can play and enjoy 100% a NES, SNES, Genesis game, but just not a PSX 3D game. Not to mention System Shock, which is from 1.994. I'd really like to play it, because it is from the same guy who made Bioshock, but I don't know if someday I'll be able to...
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
Ken Levine actually wasn't responsible for System Shock; that was Warren Spector and Doug Church. Levine didn't come on until System Shock 2, which to be fair is a classic, but is still dumbed down from the original System Shock. I don't understand why having better technology means putting more restrictions on what the player can do. System Shock had an excellent storyline, but if you wanted to ignore that mess around with the game mechanics, you could. It wasn't a first person shooter like Bioshock, it was an adventure/RPG hybrid with some FPS trappings. It had a mode set in Cyberspace where you dealt with data abstractions. It had mini-games you could download into your PDA. Oh, and to top it all off, you weren't immortal in System Shock. Even in 2, where there are respawn stations, they cost a non-trivial amount of valuable nanites, and you have to activate them before you kick the bucket. What System Shock lacks in 2013's graphics, it makes up for in depth that rivals an Elder Scrolls game. 

SS2 was more of a shooter but it still emphasized the RPG elements. Choosing a Psi-oriented character made for a very different early game than a Marine character. 

Bioshock is a mediocre FPS with a magic gimmick and audio logs and a neat setting. That's all it is. Which more than anything is a reflection of the homogenous state of games today, that we'll latch onto anything that's different, even when the differences are really only skin-deep.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 01:11:08 AM »
With all respect. Please don't misunderstand the tone of my post, I'm not arguing or being disrespectful.

I just happen to care A LOT about look and music.
Maybe the gameplay is similar in many things to other games, but I found aesthetic, soundtrack, characters and stories of all 3 Bioshock games to be AWESOME!

Right now I'm playing Dishonored, which is so far a blatant copy of Bioshock, but with different story, characters, setting and soundtrack, and so far I'm really enjoying it, and I'm sure when I finish it I will love it.
I really don't care much about innovation, I've said it a lot of times on other threads.
If something isn't broken, don't fix it.
So Bioshock takes things from other games? That's fine with me, as long as it's fun and it achieves the standards I have for music, aesthetic look, characters and story.
In any case, it would be like Giana Sisters or RosenkreuzStilette. They are FULL copies or, respectively, SMB and Megaman (with CV look). But that's OK because they are super fun.
Let the technical aspect of gameplay and innovation for critics, I play to have a good time and enter another world! I play, like when I watch anime or movies, with passion, and subjectivity always overshadows objectivity.

I'm sure System Shock is a great game, because it' the only thing I've been told so far.
But I don't know if I will ever be able to play it because I have a natural reject for old 3D. I know it's a personal thing, but I just can't... I tried a couple times to play the original Resident Evil, or FF7, but I just can't.
With old 2D I don't have a problem.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 01:25:18 AM »
Dishonored is actually not a copy of Bioshock at all, it's more of a direct copy (down to much of the setting) of Thief: The Dark Project with BioShock's magic gimmick and heavily simplified stealth mechanics . Thief and System Shock 2 were both initially developed by Looking Glass studios and in fact share the same game engine. Dishonored's lead dev worked on Deus Ex, which shared personnel with both Thief and the original System Shock. So it's kind of natural there would be similarities. I actually found Dishonored pretty underwhelming after having high hopes for it. :/

Anyway, I think if it wasn't claimed that Bioshock was a spiritual successor to System Shock I'd be less irritated by it. They share a few small similarities but more differences. It's an OK game, I just don't feel it's worthy of the overwhelming praise that seems to be offered to any shooter with scripted set pieces and an ambient storyline. Come to think of it, Half-Life 2 is just as if not more overrated than Bioshock.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »
+1
If I have to disagree with something it's with Bioshock. I believe all 3 games are a masterpiece.
They keep telling me that System Shock is better. I didn't play it. But I don't have a problem with it. It's like when some people argue that the first SMB was the best Mario, while other people say it's SMB 3, but I TOTALLY think that Super Mario World was better than all SMB NES games, for obvious reasons. And that SM64 must be better than SMW and Sunshine than SM64. And I'm completely sure the best Mario games ever are the Galaxy games, also for obvious reasons. I mean, Levine was responsible for System Shock, maybe it is a masterwork like they say, but when technology allowed him to do it better, he did it. It's the same for Nintendo, Mario games were getting better and better as technology was increasing.
Don't get me wrong: technology doesn't make excellent games by itself. You need the genius of Levine, of Nintendo, or whatever genius you want to put.
This applies, the way I see it, to 3D games, but not so much to 2D games. I can equally enjoy a good NES game and a good new 2D PC game with modern looks.
And about 3D (and this is very personal) I just find anything previous to Playstation 2 to look VERY OLD. I just can't play it, I can't stand that old 3D. It's like AVGN once said, kind of "it's like it was a limbo for 3D games, when graphics weren't still good".
It's just the way my tastes are. There are some obvious exceptions, like N64 CV games, or Zelda games...
But most of times, I can play and enjoy 100% a NES, SNES, Genesis game, but just not a PSX 3D game. Not to mention System Shock, which is from 1.994. I'd really like to play it, because it is from the same guy who made Bioshock, but I don't know if someday I'll be able to...

If watching old episodes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and forcing myself to finish Final Fantasy 7 has shown me anything, it's that rose-tinted glasses are very, very powerful. When it comes to old media most people who talk to you about it are also unconsciously talking about who where and what they were when they experienced it. This is why so many grown men and women idolize Boba Fett despite the fact he was a glorified extra in the original Star Wars- the sheer coolness of his space armor awed them when they were 7 or 8.

Having "been there" when something came out gives you a unique understanding of it and, let's face it, a unique tolerance for its flaws. (Like muddy PS1 graphics or to some extent awkward early-3D controls.) And you can only experience something for the first time once, which I suspect is why so many people still cling to the idea that Final Fantasy 7 is the best RPG greatest achievement in human history. And why Ocarina of Time is the best 3D Zelda etc.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
Sometimes the "you're wearing nostalgia glasses" argument makes sense; other times I enjoy watching Nosferatu and realizing my favorite Metallica albums were all released before I was born.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:40 AM »
I believe Bronies have something to do with the "troll culture" that spawned from 4chan. Half of the bronies are megatrolls who find a colorful cartoon that in some way reminds me of Pokemon a tool to annoy people through spreading its colorful inside-jokes and making parodies of it. 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Tags:

anything