Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: [Fan Games] Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Eggerland, Mario, Megaman  (Read 125566 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Update: This thread is going to cover all of my fangame projects. I'll be creating a Blog to go along with it as well since my friend is graciously letting me have hosting on his own Wordpress blog that I admin.

These are my projects:
*Castlevania: The Demon Castle (as is widely known by now, at least on this site.)
*Megaman: Power Up!! (Remake of the original Megaman that I've made mention of.)
*Super Mario Bros.: Adventures in the Mushroom Kingdom (A huge mash-up that will include the stages of SMB1 & SMB Special.)
*Eggerland Saga (Another huge mash up of all the different versions of all the Lolo games.)
*Final Fantasy: Soul of Chaos (8-bit remake of the anniversary edition plus some neat surprises.)

----------UPDATES----------

9/20/2013 - Progress on Eggerland Saga. Not much, but better than nothing.
http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,2978.msg147286.html#msg147286

8/8/2013 - Got some work done on Eggerland Saga. Grab an alpha demo of the movement engine here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oqkmabcp42deccs/Eggerland_Saga-Alpha-0.2.0.0.exe
This is very early and very bare bones. It's really just Lolo in room with four posts. You can move around and that's pretty much it. If any of you are feeling generous please download this demo and tell me if you have any issues.

----------UPDATES----------

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:53:37 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: [Feedback] Castlevania: The Demon Castle fangame project ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
I have to ask why so many people are insistent on doing an 8 bit fan project, rather than a more current 32 bit 2-d one? 8-bit is extremely old and played out by now, but I keep seeing 8-bit Castlevania rehashes. So far I seem to be the only person doing one that is at least 16-bit, and I do not understand why with all the talent that there is out there.  :( :o
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
My guess is because some people feel intimidated by the coding it takes for the 32-bit style. I wish there were more hacks like that as well, but the 8-bit versions and 16-bit versions are still pretty great.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
I think this would be really cool if the levels were significantly different from their inspirations. It sounds like each level is ripped straight from one of 4 games, including the boss and music. I also agree that 16 or 32 bit would be better than 8, you could get more details, and it might make it stand out more. I hope you do go through with it, I feel like a lit of fans have good ideas for fan games, but don't do it or never finish it. I like the idea, so I hope we see some progress
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
My guess is because some people feel intimidated by the coding it takes for the 32-bit style. I wish there were more hacks like that as well, but the 8-bit versions and 16-bit versions are still pretty great.

I'll be programming the game with game maker, so the issue of the graphics style is completely irrelevant to the programming itself as far as fan games are concerned..
The choice of 8-bit style graphics is my preference (I'm huge into retro gaming) and it will be a lot quicker for me to work with.

I have to ask why so many people are insistent on doing an 8 bit fan project, rather than a more current 32 bit 2-d one? 8-bit is extremely old and played out by now, but I keep seeing 8-bit Castlevania rehashes. So far I seem to be the only person doing one that is at least 16-bit, and I do not understand why with all the talent that there is out there.  :( :o

Retro is 'in' right now for whatever reason. Part of it though is probably that the simple graphics are easier to work with for more ppl.

I have to point out something that I've been wanting to ask.
Lately it seems ppl are using the term fan game for hacks as well as actual fan games, why is that?
The CV2 project going on right now is a ROM hack. Your own project, Esco, is also a hack. (Excellent work, BTW.)
My project is a from-scratch fan game as far as programming is concerned.
I'm not gonna be using or modifying any code from any of the source games.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:42:41 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »
I'll be programming the game with game maker, so the issue of the graphics style is completely irrelevant to the programming itself as far as fan games are concerned..
The choice of 8-bit style graphics is my preference (I'm huge into retro gaming) and it will be a lot quicker for me to work with.

I agree about retro being the 'in' thing now. I would love to play a full fledged 8-bit CV game that isn't CV1, CV2 or CV3. I've played those game so I want to see and play something new that is still retro at it's best. There's nothing wrong about creating something that seems to be outdated by the mass' standards. working with such graphics and sprites is actually quite fun to do. Though the coding part is a pain in the @$$, the story, graphics and music are the fun parts...well...putting together music can be a bit of a challange but no less then anything else in terms of game making.  ;D

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
My main focus here is creating the definitive version of CV1.
The first factor affecting this goal is how the various layouts fit together. I am keeping in mind the possibility that I will have to add some transitional rooms between sections of stages that don't quite flow right. Fortunately, I have some ideas for some new bits and pieces I can add to beef up some of the shorter levels.

For example:
Ages ago I had designed a portcullis area that goes between right after the castle's drawbridge. Since I'm separating the entrance and main hall areas into two stages, I'd like to add this bit to make the entrance longer. Also, this new area will include a puzzle involving the portcullis at each side of the fortified wall that houses the drawbridge mechanism. Thus, the stage will look like this:
exterior area with drawbridge -> fortified wall with gate puzzle -> entry courtyard area with front door.

The second factor affecting the integration of the original layouts is the scale factors for the later remakes. The NES and MSX versions fit together perfectly with little editing needed to merge the rooms. However, the Haunted Castle stages are basically 2x sized in comparison to the 8-bit games and will have to be scaled down. (The 'blocks' in HC are 32x32 as opposed to the 16x16 ones used in CV.) I think what I will do for the HC stages is scale them down and then make new areas to beef up the length of the stages.

The trickier ones, then, are SCV4 and Chronicles. These two games didn't really scale up the proportions of the levels, but did make their respective Simons bigger and thus able to jump larger gaps that classic Simon could never manage. I'm thinking of three possibilities here either 1) I will edit the platforms to extend them where appropriate or 2) include an item from Vampire Killer to let Simon jump higher and farther or even give him the double jump or 3) Add more whip swing anchors where needed.

When all the layouts are done I expect the game to be 75% nostalgia and 25% wierd sense of this isn't quite the same place. And adding to that will be revised 8-bit graphics that are at least on par with CV3 that take advantage of advanced techniques from the later NES era like using multiple sprites to give the impression of more colors (like Megaman) and dark shading (like Return of the Joker).

Aside from the stage layouts, I'm also considering several game play aspects from other CV games that have been either popular or rarely used for inclusion. First, and foremost, is whip swinging. Obviously with the inclusion of SCV4 stages there comes the possibility of this much missed skill. I will plan on some minimal Metroid-vania aspects such as equipable items, relics, and a simple map feature. I'm also considering removing the timer in favor of a more heavily exploration based experience such as was with Vampire Killer. And lastly, multi-directional whipping.

Thought's?
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
Ages ago I had designed a portcullis area that goes between right after the castle's drawbridge. Since I'm separating the entrance and main hall areas into two stages, I'd like to add this bit to make the entrance longer. Also, this new area will include a puzzle involving the portcullis at each side of the fortified wall that houses the drawbridge mechanism. Thus, the stage will look like this:
exterior area with drawbridge -> fortified wall with gate puzzle -> entry courtyard area with front door.

This sounds like the watch tower stage in CV64.

In terms of the removal of the clock, I see no problems with it. It never added much to the games themselves in terms of challange so IMO, there really is no need of it. Or you could try this (And this is an idea that I had for my classic CV game that I wanted to make), keep the clock, but render it's function so as to help benefit with the points collected at the end of each stage rather then it being your character's limited existance. The more seconds you have on the clock by the time you get to the end, the more points you rank up. The clock would simply be a score additive.

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »
I really like that idea for the timer. It makes more sense than Simon spontaneously dying for no real reason. Thanks for suggesting it!

I'd like the points to be more meaningful too. Maybe they can be used for buying bonus content?
I'm sure ppl wouldn't mind some unlockable costumes and extra playable characters.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:22:46 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »
Here's a mock up of stage 1 - The Entrance:

Edit: Removed for not as to reveal secrets.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:31:16 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Joachim

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »
the level design isn't very interesting. play around with the long flat rooms; add some platforms, or pits, or something of interest. maybe not necessarily the first set, before the castle, as that can be effective in building mood, but c-d strikes me as kind of pointless.

d strikes me as more of a tech demo than anything else, the level design doesn't make any sense. the whip swings anchors are ultimately inconsequential.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
They look plain now, but when you apply the graphics, music, foreground obsticles and enemies, then it becomes something more exciting. These are just test blocks for Inccubus' soon-to-be levels. I can actually see how these levels would look if they were complete, but others might not. What I did (and still am) with the levels for my game is do a complete stage map in full size with all the graphics in place. While it's not very practicle for programing, it does allow you to see how you want the finished product to look like.

-X

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
Thanks for your input, Joachim! ^_^

I may end up shrinking c-d as it it 2 different versions of the same area doubled up for the sake of overall stage length.
As a matter of fact the first 3 rooms of a-b are another version of these rooms. Perhaps I'll merge a-b with c-d and just make that area a bit longer and spice it up with a few non-environmental surprises.
Then I'll have the gate house go directly to d.

EDIT: I have a modified version of c-d from an old hack I started years ago that might just be the thing to spice things up!

It's funny you call it tech-demo-y. That is a modified area from SCV4 and that whole game is a little tech-demo-y at times. I added the anchors in that area in order to have them in the first stage and give that set of platforms at the beginning a purpose since you can't reach it with an NES type Simon. The area makes more sense with the graphics in place and actually reminds me a bit of the castle from Bram Stoker's Dracula (movie). D, BTW, ends at the front door to the castle. The last three screens of that area is analogous with a-b & the constituent parts of c-d, but I decided it fits medieval castle design better to have a courtyard between the gate/defensive wall and the main building. Besides that it is also the most different version of these rooms in the series.

That's right, X, it'll be less plain looking once the props are in place.
I'm not dong the full blown layout thing since I'm working off mostly existing stages that I already have the maps for.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:06:36 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
how are you gonna do the whip swingin? Thats somethin Ive never had any desire to even attempt to make

Joachim

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
I was more referring to the random placement of the swing anchors than anything else. they serve no purpose other than to be there. its like something that you would make for a debug mode, to test out the physics, rather than put in any kind of level. sciv was mostly "tech-demo-y" in that it experimented with what the technology could do and played with it; but, it did so with tact and intrigue, its excursions into experimentation aren't awkward and fit well within the context of the game.

so its kind of a different kind of tech-demo-y?

i guess what i'm trying to get at is that every element in a level should be considered and should have a purpose or reason for being. the issue with the anchors is that they don't work with the rest of the level design; there's no reason for them to be there and as is they don't accomplish much. maybe instead you could build on the idea and have the anchors lead to a slightly different route in that particular room/part of the level, that you normally wouldn't be able to access? (also, try not to chain so many anchors together like that, it comes off as tacky and unnecessary).

i also don't recognize what room its edited from in sciv.

Tags:

anything