Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania's Strongest Soundtracks  (Read 6359 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
Castlevania is a bucket of good soundtracks, as everyone knows, but I want to know what is the strongest track for you.

For me, one of the strongest is Super Castlevania IV's "Boss 2" theme:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7Co_kletM

This theme is perfect for a Castlevania boss battle. It exudes the dread of the battle with such perfection! The first time I listened to it (Ghost Dancers boss), I didn't give it such credit, but when I got to the Living Armor (and after cranking the volume up a little), holy shit! The moment I destroyed it's axe, and it drew it's sword. The cadence of the theme accompanied each event of the battle. The theme fit perfectly! The way the theme starts feels like the walls will fall on you. Then I started paying attention on the situations where the theme was used. The bosses always look like they are insurmountable at first, but then you start noticing their patterns, and the theme reflects this. It starts saying "You'll die. You're not facing any boss now, we are the ultimate guardians of Dracula's Castle" but then it goes into a piano melody that says "Maybe, JUST maybe, Simon can make it through if you're able to resist just a tiny but more!".

This theme only loses to Simon's Theme at Dracula. It was absolutelly genius to use the hero's theme as a Dracula boss theme when he's nearly dying (and yet, can kill you in two or three hits).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:45:58 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
For me this tune sticks out as one of THE strongest tracks I've ever heard of.

Room of Close Associates - Super Castlevania 4 Music Extended

Probably the best damned boss theme that a Castlevania game has ever put out. This tune literally sings of a tough-as-hell gauntlet that the player absolutely must survive in order to meet with the final confrontation; No, b***h'in, winning or complaining. You have no choice but to delve into the struggle and overcome it before you face the final challenger; Dracula. It's fast-paced, filled with dread, and is very memorable to listen to.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
+2
this could literally serve as the theme song for the entire series, hands down

Classic VGM 113: Castlevania: SOTN - Dracula's Castle

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »
I personally feel that scv4's soundtrack stands out above the rest, even SOTN.

The music of scv4 is menacing, eerie and beautiful. I think it's the best video game soundtrack ever made.

Everything on it is quality and worth listening to over and over. 
The worst monsters are human.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Its Curse of Darkness for me, its a shame the game could not live up to its magnificent soundtrack.

Full Castlevania: Curse of Darkness OST
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:58:27 AM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »
This is a hard question. I think the DXC soundtrack is my favorite. I felt pumped and ready to kill vampires. I only wish Heart of Fire was part of it because it's my favorite.

I would put Harmony of Despair but I wasn't sure if it counted

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »
+1
The Symphony of the Night ost is an absolute masterpiece, I agree.  As Crisis says, 'Dracula's Castle' is a wonderful, omninous track which immediately tells you that this is Castlevania you are entering, with supernatural dangers, heroicism, and at the end of it, Dracula.  However, I must admit that for me personally, SotN has a rival, in the form of the LoS2 ost.  You might hate me for this, guys.  While LoS was a mixture of near perfection in places and disappointment in other aspects, the soundtrack was one of the game's greatest strengths.  In particular, the original E3 cinematic trailer score is my favourite piece from LoS2.  It has that build-up, like with 'Dracula's Castle', which speaks of Gabriel's sadness, weariness, and immortality, before rising into his vengeful anger and wrath being unleashed upon his enemies, striking them down with the blood whip shadow of the Vampire Killer.  It's a deep well of emotion in places.  My main criticism is that there wasn't more of it, and that the cinematic trailer song wasn't in the game.

[Official] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 E3 2012 Trailer [HD]

Also worth mentioning I think is some of the Akumajou Dracula Pachislot osts, especially III, even though they're not proper Castlevania games in the strictest sense, much as Judgement isn't really imo.  'Treizire de Spirit' and 'De-a Lungul Vieii' in particular stand out from that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:40:35 PM by tatteredseraph »
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »
For me it has to be SCVIV or CV:CoD both are full of epic tunes....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cj6Vgt-U94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPsvupFjMWM
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:53:19 PM by Asgardwolf »

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »
this could literally serve as the theme song for the entire series, hands down

Classic VGM 113: Castlevania: SOTN - Dracula's Castle

Totally agree, pal :). Although is not my favorite CV game, its music is very very touching (Tragic Prince is another awesome track, too).

Also, Abandoned Castle (from CoD) is very Castlevania-esque too. I agree to mention that those OST (SoTN and CoD) are very strong...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
Just in case anyone is looking or wondering, here are links for Tragic Prince and Abandoned Castle
(I guess I'm a bad CV fan...shame on me  :rollseyes:...I rarely recognize CV music by just their titles.  I usually have to hear them to remember what song it is.)

I would think Vampire Killer could be considered a strong title...it's possibly the most reused and recognizable theme.  I would say VK, and Beginning are two really strong songs.  They both create an energy/excitement (for me at least) that really...they just start the games/levels with a bang!  They make me excited to be playing Castlevania, and if I hear either of these tunes outside a game, I'm instantly like, "Dude, I need to play some Castlevania...NOW!!"

I particularly favor the soundtrack for Castlevania 3 myself.  SotN is great too though...and so many of the songs are so great...so catchy...they all want to be strong...I want to list them all!

(And...I promise I've tried...but I can't resist listing a few others.  In general I love the soundtrack in CV:Legacy of Darkness, as it's my favorite in the series.  I particularly like Thorny Grave, Renons Theme, and The Sinking Old Sanctuary...all 3 versions, but the LoD one is my favorite.)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
Ummm... while this thread is nice and all, it's been covered to hell and back and is actually posted often on Classic Castlevania Threads.
In fact, that's exactly where threads like this should go, since basically this thread will turn into "What's your favorite or what is the best soundtrack for Castlevania?".

**moves thread**
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
:-S  Yeah...my bad...I kinda jumped head-first right into doing just that...
...but I'll still stand by VK and Beginning being stong tracks.  They start games well, or give them an adrenaline boost when introduced later.

Offline ROCKMAN X

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRj3mXsnHQ Poison mind.

It gives you the feeling of finality and the epicness of final confrontation with Dracula...

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:44 PM »
I'd go with 1,3, 4, Rondo, and Dracula X. Those are the ones that have always stuck in my memory.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
Oh, man... twist my arm...

Curse of Darkness has my favorite song, Garibaldi Temple.  But Lament of Innocence and Super Castlevania IV are also excellent all-around.  And then there are more underrated OSTs from the series, like Portrait of Ruin, which I enjoy a lot despite the flack it gets.  Awakening from Circle of the Moon is <3.  There is not a single weak song in Simon's Quest. Harmony of Dissonance had unusual compositions that gave the game a unique feel even if the sound quality sucked.  Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow also have very strong OSTs and while the names of specific tracks elude me I can pick out several songs that I really love from them.

I've named about half the games in the series... Nope, sorry.  Can't pick.  Too hard.

Tags:

anything