Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1051677 times)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »
Welcome back Claimh! :)

So, what do you think of my edits?

So far, only one member that have given opinion on it. :(

I have those done.  He can crouchwalk already.  It's not as nice-looking as the CV4 version, again, because in CV4 his legs take up a large amount of space.

His crouchwalk looks like this:

I may improve upon it later on but that's the basic gist of it.

looks a bit awkward. His legs look too short.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
Yeah that's 'cuz the legs are slightly more 'facing the camera' so perspective makes them look smaller (like the crouching legs of Chronicles Simon).
I did say it wasn't perfect but given the space I have for it, it's not bad.  It certainly looks like he's crawling, though.

As for your edits, I'm not sure I should comment, as they're technically still Serio's work.  So you're changing the palette, huh?  I certainly like the brighter, more Rondo-ish colors (the original's have a slightly washed-out palette but that could just be me, I've not seen 'em in a while), though I realize they're not the same as the Rondo colors.  I don't know what else to say about that.  Critiquing a color palette is somewhat difficult since you might like it but someone else might not...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
As for your edits, I'm not sure I should comment, as they're technically still Serio's work.
So you're changing the palette, huh?  I certainly like the brighter, more Rondo-ish colors (the original's have a slightly washed-out palette but that could just be me, I've not seen 'em in a while), though I realize they're not the same as the Rondo colors.  I don't know what else to say about that.  Critiquing a color palette is somewhat difficult since you might like it but someone else might not...

Well, it is Serio's sprites. I'm just making a brighter version of it in 16 colors, since the sheet he gave me have palettes that are too dark to fit in PoR IMO.

Here is the 16c sheet that he gave me:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:17:15 PM by Pemburu Vampir »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
Oh yeah, that's totally too dark for PoR.
So your palette does look like it would fit PoR better.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes, Jorge, Pemburu, 101. ^.^ Sedona was pretty cool, but not having any access to ANY electronics was kinda bleh... I'm not an outdoorsman.

So anyway, yeah.

Wheeeeeeee!

No I've not stopped working on him.
I just need SubweaponWhileSwinging and Diagonal/Down Whipping and I'll be done. :D
Looks friggin sweet, Jorge. ^.^ I like how you put all the frames in there, instead of how lazy they were with Julius in HD (only giving him 3 frames instead of 5).

I have those done.  He can crouchwalk already.  It's not as nice-looking as the CV4 version, again, because in CV4 his legs take up a large amount of space.

His crouchwalk looks like this:

I may improve upon it later on but that's the basic gist of it.
I agree the legs look a little short, but I actually kinda like the way it looks.

Welcome back CS, and oh boy! I can't WAIT to see the compleated Simon Belmont!
I'll get right on it when I got the time. I'm composing some music right now.
Welcome back Claimh! :)

So, what do you think of my edits?

So far, only one member that have given opinion on it. :(
Looks pretty nice to me. I'll agree with Jorge on saying Serio's palettes are a little dark, but that's mostly cuz his game he made them for is meant to be dark. But your sprites bring out a nice color, fits in well with PoR.

I'll get back to you soon with an update on Maria, if I get any work done on it.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
Simon Belmont is Complete!

And now for the 1:1:

And now for the frame descriptions.  **takes big breath**

Simon Belmont (inspired by Castlevania II : Simon's Quest Box Artwork)

Frame size: W56px x H64px
Anchor Point: Varies

Moves (by Row):

Walk1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.  You can supercede the Shield over them, still works.
Still (in Town), Still (in Field), Crouching, Crouch, Getting Up, Jump, Drop, Jump Straight up
Dropping down, Damage, StraightWhip 1,2,3,4,(5,6) <--substitute the last two for SubWpnAttack
Climbing Stairs Up 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Climbing Stairs Down 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
SlideAttack (New!), CrouchDamage, CrouchWhip1,2,3,4,(5,6)<---same instructions for Subwpns.
Damage On Up Stairs(FrontFootUp), Still on Up Stairs(FrontFootUp), UpSt(FFU)Whip 1,2,3,4,(5,6)
Damage On Up Stairs (BackFootUp), Still on Up Stairs (BackFootUp), UpSt(BFU)Whip 1,2,3,4,(5,6)
DamageOnDownStairs(FrontFootUp), StillOnDownStairs(FrontFootUp), DnSt(FFU)Whip 1,2,3,4,(5,6)
DamageOnDownStairs(BackFootUp), StillOnDownStairs(BackFootUp), DnSt(BFU)Whip 1,2,3,4,(5,6)
Dying1, GROUND Diagonal/UpWhip 2,3,4, DiagonaUpOnlyWhip 5,6, UpWhip5,6
//Diagonal/UpWhip1 is the regular StraightWhip1.
Dying2, UpStairs(FFU) Diag/UpWhip 2,3,4, UpStairs(FFU) DiagonalOnly5,6, UpStairsUpWhip 5,6
//UpStairs(FFU) Diagonal/UpWhip 1 is the same as UpStairs(FFU) regular whipping 1.
Dying3, UpStairs(BFU) Diag/UpWhip 2,3,4, UpStairs(BFU) DiagonalOnly5,6, UpStairsUpWhip5,6
//UpStairs(BFU) Diag/UpWhip 1 is the same as straightWhip1 on stairs with back foot up)
StillBrandish1, DnStairs(FFU)Diag/UpWhip, 2,3,4, DnStair(FFU)DiagOnly5,6, DnStairs(FFU)UpWhip5,6
//DnStairs(FFU) Diag/UpWhip1 is the same as DnStairs(FFU)Whip1.
StillBrandish2, DnStairs(BFU)Diag/UpWhip, 2,3,4, DnStair(BFU)DiagOnly5,6, DnStairs(BFU)UpWhip5,6
//DnStairs(BFU) Diag/UpWhip2 is the same as DnStairs(BFU)Whip1.
StillBrandish3,4,5, CrouchBrandish1,2,3,4,5
JumpStraightWhip1,2,3,4,(5,6), JumpUpWhip5,6
JumpDiag/UpWhip2,3,4, JumpDiagonalOnlyWhip5,6, JumpBrandish1,2,3
JumpBrandish4,5, StairUp(BFU)Brandish 1,2,3,4,5, StairUp(BFU)SubWpn5
StairUp(FFU)Brandish1,2,3,4,5, StillSubwWpn5,6, StairUp(BFU)SubWpn6
StairDown(FFU)Brandish 1,2,3,4,5, CrouchSubWpn5,6, StairDown(FFU)SubWpn5
StairDown(BFU)Brandish 1,2,3,4,5, StairUp(FFU)SubWpn5,6, StairDown(FFU)SubWpn6
CrouchCrawling 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
WhipSwinging1,2,3,4,5, StairDown(BFU)SubWpn5,6, Defense(Shield)Stance1
SwingSubWpnA1,2,3,4,5, Diag/DownWhip1,2,3
SwingSubWpnB1,2,3,4,5, Diag/DownWhip4, DiagonalDownOnly Whip5(2frames), DownWhip5(2frames)
//The JumpDiagonalDown and JumpDown frames last twice as long as usual since there's no Frame6.
SwingSubWpnC1,2,3,4,5, Defense(Shield)Stance2, CrouchShield2
SwingSubWpnD1,2,3,4,5, RibShield.
//RibShield is super-imposed over the defense frames.
//WhipSwing+Subweapon Animations are tricky, and should be understood by looking at the frames vertically, instead of horizontally.  Probably difficult to implement, too.

Warning:  I'm not so sure I did a good job on the going-down-the-stairs animations.  I think I was a few pixels off when I was drawing the legs.  If you use these, make note of that.  I may, once I see them in action, re-do the stairs-down frames to fix anything that's wrong.  I will also periodically touch these up, but I won't really know what's wrong with them until they're used.

So use 'em!  And give credit! :D

You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Mega Man Model T 101

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
SWWWEEEEEEEEAAAAAAT! Most awesome Simon sprites in ages! Yes yes yes!
The Legend shall live again....

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »
That's pretty damn impressive. Especially since you didn't edit it from other sprites.

Good work. You completed your first full character. Did you enjoy the experience?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »
I think there's still room for improvement, but yeah I had a pretty good time.  Simon is cool 'cuz he's got all these little animations others don't, while missing some of the ones that others do (I did not do a backdash or a superjump).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
Very nice, Jorge! ^___^
I love the 'rib' shield.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Mega Man Model T 101

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »
Yeah, it's nicely detailed. And since I know how it reflects stuff, I plan on doing a little "Oh nuts!" moment in a sprite comic I'm working on.

Here's what I did to try out the shield pose for Simon.
The Legend shall live again....

Offline ScionOfBalance

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »
looks like he's ready to shield himself from Dracula's hellfire. ;)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »
Very nice work there, Jorge. It's good to see a new CV2 Simon. :)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »
wew its done! *saves*

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
+1
About how many days did that take you Jorge, it seems like you got a complete sprite sheet done fairly quickly.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

anything