Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1051809 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
Oh yeah, someone posted that on Serio's board. I saw it. It looks pretty nice.

The guy who sprited out that Hector is credited right underneath the picture up above. His name's Arukado.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
I think I know him, haha.
Oh, I put up a critique (I was editing the post when you posted).  Go back to the previous page to see it.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »
Well, right off the bad I notice your Trevor uses more than the usual number of colors, and yet looks like he's not using enough colors.  This is probably because of the low contrast the colors are using.  You've got very nice leathery browns, grays, and greens, which would be great for a 3D model, but for a sprite, it makes it look very plain since usually a hero/main character sprite is supposed to stand out.

Blame Serio. I'm using his color palette.

I would probably start using more high contrast colors like green instead of gray, and a slightly brighter brown, to bring him up.  The other thing is, I'm not fond of the tuft of hair on his head.  I realize it makes him look just like the artwork for CoD Trevor, but it just looks like an Afro to me in the regular 'stance' animation (his hair looks better in the attacking animations).

Again, blame Serio. The only thing I did was the new walking animation and the unfinished sprites toward the bottom.

Lastly, there's a lot of three-color line-shading going on in some of the sprites.  Line-shading is where you're just using three colors progressively getting darker, in a line, in order to create depth, but the problem is that it makes things look very amateur-ish.  Specific examples are the the boot in his very first jumping sprite (sixth from the left, first row).  If you notice, the boot is just three colors progressively getting darker at the bottom.  Line-shading, like Pillow-shading (a similar problem but appears more in bulbous areas) is particularly apparent, here.  It's not nearly as apparent in his regular stance, though.  That's a pretty nice-looking stance.  I might give him more of a crotch bulge though, 'cuz he's got a female crotch right now. xD  Again, this is just personal preference.

Well, I still am an amateur at this. I took up spriting not too long ago. I can fix the line-shading.
The jumping sprites were made by Serio, so again, blame him.
He didn't have a crotch bulge to begin with. XD

So yeah, everything but the walking anim is Serio's. I only added a few fixups, since they were really old sprites.

I'm still more particularly fond of my Richter edit up in the corner. o.o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:39:59 AM by Claimh Solais »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
Haha, I'm not gonna blame him.  But the character itself does seem kind of color-less.  This is fine since it matches the artwork, but I would imagine it makes the character look washed out when compared to characters with brighter palettes.

You don't have to fix anything if you don't want to.  Just a few things I noticed.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
I'm not necessarily saying blame Serio for all the mistakes. Haha. It's just a saying I use commonly, kinda like the "We can all agree" thing I winded up using when it came to the PSP SotN's voices.

In all actuality, I gotta fix up any problems before submitting them to Serio for his project, cuz his partner Cyberdragon10k is VERY strict when it comes to the sprites.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »
Here are CV2 Simon Belmont's whipping sprites in nice animated format.  I think he came out pretty good.
Coincidentally, I had to change his action stance just a tad, so I will be updating that in a while.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:01:42 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
Wow, he swings like a man. XD It's all intense. Nicely done.

However, the crouching whip animation is shorter. Was that intentional?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
Nah I just made his 'not doing anything while crouching' stance take less time.  The frames for the whipping and follow through are the same length.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
Oh, now that you pointed it out I noticed it.

By the way, what program do you use to make your sprites?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
Good ol' Paint Shop Pro. xD
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
Damn, like all the good spriters use that. XD I use MS Paint for mine. Har har. I really need a better program.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
Thaddeus, a very awesome Sprite Artist (far better than I am), uses MsPaint.
Use what you like. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
I've actually yet to see his work. I like using MS Paint cuz its far simpler than like, any program out there. I just need better programs when it comes to color editing. I hate doing it by hand. ^.^

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »
**Clicky**

He does amazing contrast work and can really convey darkness in his spritework and tilework.
Unfortunately, he falls off the Internet quite often, so finding him is often a taxing endeavor.

EDIT:  Simon can now whip while climbing up stairs (on either feet).
EDIT: Also down the stairs now.  Wh00t productivity!
Check it out!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:08:07 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
Holy shhhhhh---
That's some pretty impressive sprite work. Thought that was Reinhardt at first, too.

Anything you plan on adding to Simon other then the standard ClassicVania moves? :o