Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1051792 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
I'm debating if I should give him the MultiDirectional whip... technically he didn't have this ability in Simon's Quest...
I could also go for broke and add the standard animations for Metroidvanias... that's... let's see:

Dodge (hee, I can probably make him backflip, but I did make a Dodge for CV4 Simon so I could just do a backdash-style one)
DoubleJump
SuperJump
ItemCrush
Death in the Air
Death in the Ground (Classic, haven't done it yet)
...or something else.

I think I will replace the 'rib' shield with just a forcefield that appears if he gets hit by a projectile whilst having the Rib item equipped.  It's never made a lot of sense to me to see him with a Shield.

Right now my CV2 Simon Belmont has a grand total of 73 animation frames. ;)

I could also give him a Counter/Guard animation, but I haven't thought it through yet.

RIGHT NOW THOUGH he just needs the following:
-stairsup-frontleg-getting hit
-stairsup-backleg-getting hit
-stairsdown-frontleg-getting hit
-stairsdown-backleg-getting hit
-death (classic)
-damage knockback
-subweapon animation (replace the final frames of the whipping animation with a slightly different version; easy peasy)

Rondo had a "gettinghit while crouching" and "getting hit by a minor attack-no knockback" set of sprites too.  I might make those.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:02:18 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »
That sounds really interesting. If  you did make those, then someone could probably make a fluid Metroidvania version of CV1 or CV2.

Multi-directional whip is cool, but you should probably limit it to him whipping down-forward and downward like in Chronicles. (His CVC appearance WAS based on his Simon's Quest outfit anyway).

I think the CV4 Simon in the banner should be replaced by yours. Yours is tons cooler.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:27:18 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2011, 07:49:06 AM »
Can I haz critique? (Don't steal. I trust all of you that you won't. :))

Trevor sprites by Serio and me.
Colored Richter in corner by me.
SotN Richter by Serio.
Hector by Arukado.

I also agree not enough colors, but design wise the costume is on point! With some more sprites for the animation this could be outstanding!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
I also agree not enough colors, but design wise the costume is on point! With some more sprites for the animation this could be outstanding!

I'd add more colors if I could, but I'm not good with palettes. For almost every sprite project, I get permission from someone else to use their palettes. I've never been good with colors. D:

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
That's a shame, Solais.  You only get good with practice.
Once you get good with color usage, you can really make your characters pop.

One of the things in sprite art creation that one must be aware of, is that your character is going to be always within a game's backdrops.  You take into account the backdrops of the game as you create the character, so that he or she is versatile no matter what background is in there, as well as the style of said backdrop.  CoDTrevor's colors are fine... in that they match the artwork.  However, if you put him in a game like, say, Rondo of Blood (just as an example), you'll notice he will not be as noticeable as the backgrounds in the game, since the backgrounds use vibrant colors with high contrasts, while he uses the subdued low-contrast colors of the artwork.  As such, I suggest you turn his color contrast up.  If he's got grays, make them brighter grays.  If he's got a secondary color like a green, then make sure the grays and the greens have contrast.  This will make the character pop out more.

This is one of the reasons my CV2 Simon looks a little weird; he's using the box art's colors.  In reality, when he gets placed into a game, his color palette will have to be altered so that it matches the type of game it is.  If it's a dark atmosphere game like, say, DraculaXX (the SNES one in stages like the Clock Tower), then Simon's palette will have to be toned down so that it's not as poppy as it is now.  If my CV2 Simon were thrown into Rondo of Blood or the DS titles (or Harmony of Despair), I think his current palette would fare well, as those games use brighter palettes for the backgrounds.

Oh, speaking of my CV2 Simon, he can whip in the upper directions now. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 12:06:18 PM »
To be honest the way the hands are positioned for the upper and diagonal animations look a little awkward. Looks good otherwise.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
Yeah I think he needs a whip in his hand in order for those animations to look better.  He's got more frames than CV4 Simon (whom only uses three for diagonal whipping and upper whipping).

I should post something with a chainwhip to showcase better.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
I'm more referring to how the upper looks like the palm of this hand is facing his... uh... face. And how the diagonal looks more like he's thrusting rather than whipping.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »
That's a shame, Solais.  You only get good with practice.
Once you get good with color usage, you can really make your characters pop.

One of the things in sprite art creation that one must be aware of, is that your character is going to be always within a game's backdrops.  You take into account the backdrops of the game as you create the character, so that he or she is versatile no matter what background is in there, as well as the style of said backdrop.  CoDTrevor's colors are fine... in that they match the artwork.  However, if you put him in a game like, say, Rondo of Blood (just as an example), you'll notice he will not be as noticeable as the backgrounds in the game, since the backgrounds use vibrant colors with high contrasts, while he uses the subdued low-contrast colors of the artwork.  As such, I suggest you turn his color contrast up.  If he's got grays, make them brighter grays.  If he's got a secondary color like a green, then make sure the grays and the greens have contrast.  This will make the character pop out more.

I'm working on palettes. I've tried making a few sprites using my own palettes. My biggest problem is just selecting colors that blend well. Once I finish the sprites, I'll experiment with Paint.NET to see if I can make a brighter palette. Of course, Serio's game generally uses dark and broody backgrounds, so he might fit in well. Dark and broody are the types of games I'm going for, too.

And yeah, the upward whipping animations look like he's thrusting his fist into the air. It's not as noticeable on the straight-up one.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
I think that, once you put the context of the whip's location & placement, the animations make perfect sense.
They look odd only because there isn't a whip in his hand.

Perhaps this should help:

Excuse the rather crude action whip, but I needed it for context.  I took his CV4 Whip and added a few custom frames.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:16:03 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
The boot looks like it's glowing for one frame. Does, look better with the whip in there, though, I have to admit.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Oh wow. It does look good once there's a whip in there.

Speaking of which, I have to ask, do you have a full sheet with all three whips from Super Castlevania IV? I could really use those (I'm aware Whip 2 and 3 are the same, with 3 being longer).

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
nice I like that custom swoosh frame in there

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
The boot looks like it's glowing for one frame. Does, look better with the whip in there, though, I have to admit.
Yes, there's one frame in which the foot is slightly bent toward, so since my boots are more like greaves, there'd be a little extra sheen in there.  I might edit it though.

nice I like that custom swoosh frame in there
I only added it to prove a point, but yeah, Fake Trevor has a similar one (only it's got a gradient of colors and is translucent).

Oh wow. It does look good once there's a whip in there.

Speaking of which, I have to ask, do you have a full sheet with all three whips from Super Castlevania IV? I could really use those (I'm aware Whip 2 and 3 are the same, with 3 being longer).

I'm sure you can find that in either the Spriters' Resource or at Shyguy Kingdom Sprites.  I don't think I have the whips, to be honest.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
Oh. I thought they'd be hard to edit off of Simon, but upon closer inspection, wow.

anything