Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1056291 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2100 on: May 12, 2022, 04:01:52 AM »
+1
I haven't posted here in a very long time, but thought it would be nice to share some small Castlevania related stuff I have done somewhat recently.

This one was done for Pixel Dailies' #PixelRemaster challenge which consisted on redrawing a screenshot from the original Castlevania. I decided to go for a somewhat realistic look, using dark colors to get a serious and scary mood, but at the same time I followed all FAMICOM/NES technical limitations.

After doing that one I took the chance to do a small update to another Castlevania screenshot I redrew, in a similar artstyle, for Pixelation's Comercial Critique Challenge some time ago, since I thought it would be great if both of them looked like they came from the same game.

These look fantastic. Are you planning to use them for anything down the line? If not, I'd like to try to put them in the actual game to see how they look.
"Stuff and things."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2101 on: September 02, 2022, 01:53:23 AM »
+1

40% complete
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2102 on: March 26, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »
Any sprite artists that are good at duplicating these sprites and helping me out for my fan-game?

https://imgbox.com/VZy3aptp

I would like to get some stair sprites, rope climb, a sub-weapon throw and breathing sprites made.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:12:56 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline FlyingMudBlock

• Hunter in Training
  • Eternally flying around...
    • Awards
« Reply #2103 on: July 22, 2023, 01:21:57 AM »
Ok, I'm kinda back... bringing here the most complete enemy rips+Re-rips of SotN from the Sega Saturn, also fixed the proportions of the Copper Armor since it belonged to to an early Ver. of SotN(based on the Dengeki hobby article), besides that all the other Saturn-exclusive enemies are pixel perfect, no stretching at ALL(except for Skeleton Guardian and Skeleton Breeder, since they edited on top of the stretched sprites of both).

I also made an expansion set(a tail) for the unused lizard from RoB:

And... I also got that unused enemy straight from the PSX ver. of SotN:

And for last i will leave these because reasons... I'm in the middle of 2 projects:
1- A "Kinda" Re-scaling/Re-Designing Enemy sprites from HoD
Here's an example:

I fully made it from scratch(by eye), no editing at all.
2- The Re-Creation of the beta Ver. of the Golem from RoB and in the future(if my skills "improve") the lost boss from the SotN screenshot from that old Dengeki hobby article.
Here is my 1st amptemt at Re-Creating the Golem and... I'm not satisfied with it because i messed up with the proportions.
So I'm gonna start all over again but I'm leaving the 1st Ver. here for introspect and feedback.

I just gave 1 tone of basic shading to have an idea for later on when i start fully shading it.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 02:01:26 AM by FlyingMudBlock »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2104 on: July 22, 2023, 02:26:01 PM »
2- The Re-Creation of the beta Ver. of the Golem from RoB and in the future(if my skills "improve") the lost boss from the SotN screenshot from that old Dengeki hobby article.
Here is my 1st amptemt at Re-Creating the Golem and... I'm not satisfied with it because i messed up with the proportions.
So I'm gonna start all over again but I'm leaving the 1st Ver. here for introspect and feedback.

I just gave 1 tone of basic shading to have an idea for later on when i start fully shading it.
Enjoy.

First of all, great post, thank you for keeping this forum's best thread alive. rips are very well put together, lizard tail is fitting, and the hammer dude looks great.

as for the golem, sucks that ya got so far before realizing it was off proportion. definitely been there before.

using the power of overlays, we can deduce a couple things. i overlayed a full screenshot with the lifebar and a sprite of richter in the same pose as the beta screen, and matched the proportions for both as closely as possible. lifebar was pushed right up against the top left of the screen it seems like? makes sense that they'd space it out a bit to account for overscan

secondly, i did some calculations (too sloppily for me to have recorded my work lol) to get the character-to-screen ratio for richter and the beta golem

and theeen i brought an overlay of the old golem against richter heights

i only needed to do one of those things but i wanted to triple check for accuracy, that the beta golem is almost exactly 3.6 jumping richters tall. taking into account the blurriness of the photo, the slight curvature as well, it's likely that the golem was either 168 or 176 pixels tall (21 or 22 tiles((if his sprites weren't moving around freely in the screenshot))). based on his pose he's probably just a little bit wider than the final golem.

also did a lil traceover of the guy once i had the beta screenshot as close as i could to the original pixel size.

about 50-60 pixels smaller than your iteration, but still absolutely colossive. hope this is useful!
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline FlyingMudBlock

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2105 on: July 22, 2023, 04:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Bloo, I'm definitely using it for the 2nd ver. of the beta golem.
Also forgot to post this:

Behold!, the "Axe Armor" from Dream of Mausoleum: Millennium of Passage.
Btw, i noticed that Moran is bigger than Soma and the Axe Armor.

Offline FlyingMudBlock

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2106 on: July 25, 2023, 10:31:14 PM »
Here's some progress on the golem:

As for it's movesets, they will be the same as the one in the final game.

Offline FlyingMudBlock

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2107 on: July 28, 2023, 02:03:54 AM »
OK... Sorry for the combo breaker, I just want to show how the walking animation is gonna work.
These are the key frames:

the idea is that the front leg is gonna "move down" pixel by pixel.
Gonna start making the punching frames and the open mouth for the fireball soon.
And for last comes the shading.

Offline FlyingMudBlock

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2108 on: August 02, 2023, 09:52:16 AM »
Hi, I'm bringing these 2 things to get feedback:
First i bring this "Test tileset" to see if my spriting "fully blends in" with the RoB/SotN artsyle before i start making the victory armor from HoD:

Now, this one brought me a bit of drama on "another website"... they accused me of using AI when i showed it to them:

I kinda remember somebody called CyberDragon2k making the great armor(if someone still have his sprites, can you post it here?) before but i couldn't find it anymore, so i decided to re-scale it myself... when i was drawing the silhouettes for each piece besides DoS Soma, i noticed that the AoS great armors are smaller than the DS ones by design.
Now the golden question: does it really look AI generated? can AI really create pixel art?

Offline AdrianTepes

• Floating Vampire Jesus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2109 on: August 06, 2023, 12:53:08 AM »
+1
These look fantastic. Are you planning to use them for anything down the line? If not, I'd like to try to put them in the actual game to see how they look.

I don't really have any plan for them yet, since I just did them for fun, so please go ahead and give that a try! I fear it won't be an easy job at all, but I would love to see them in game!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 05:13:07 AM by AdrianTepes »
"I realize that none of us has any real control over our fate. We are like leaves on the wind to be blown wherever we may. "

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2110 on: August 25, 2023, 05:09:20 AM »
I'm working on a project i need assets for.
Is there maybe someplace i can find fan made assets in a more convenient location?
I wouldn't mind getting some help with it either way.
I canned my old CV project and i'm working on something more level based.
It used to be easy to find fans wanting to contribute tilesets and such to fan projects.
If i have to, i'll start a thread showing what i've got so far.
Looking for custom assets that are detailed like 16 bit.. anything like the SNES or PS1 or DS CV games..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:13:50 AM by Mikepjr »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #2111 on: December 30, 2023, 07:29:37 AM »
This year's recollection... Gathered multiple helping hands to enhance LC2 Alcuard to be in better shape.

There're still other sprites that needs to be enhanced but they're less necessary until if LC2 Alucard main mode came true in an alternate timeline. Regardless, if anyone's got the hook of editing they can manually adjust on will and contact us if having progress.

LC2 Reworked Alucard assets
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 07:39:09 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Mysterii

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2112 on: January 08, 2024, 08:58:25 AM »
Those Saturn unstretched sprites look awesome!