Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LTTP: Mirror Of Fate  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Darkweaver

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« on: December 25, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
I finished MoF a couple of days ago.  I really liked it with my only complaint being that some of the areas were so dark, I had trouble seeing the backgrounds or finding ledges I could climb.  I played the 360 HD version of the game.

I did have a question in regards to the 3DS version.  I've heard people complain the frame rate is rather bad.  I did not experience one problem with frame rate that I could recall on the 360 version.  Is the 3DS game really that bad when it comes to slow down?

Anyways, I would recommend this game for anyone who likes Castlevania and a "Metroidvania-lite" experience.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
As a Castlevania game, there's a lot to be desired. I feel that there is so much missing that's holding it back from being a true CV experience. It's almost as if it's the "bare-bones" Castlevania, like you said, a "Metroidvania-lite." Compared to the previous DS entries, it lacks in so many areas.

But I still enjoyed it for what it was. Graphics are superb, there's no glitches gameplay-wise that I'm aware of, excellent backgrounds. I own it on both the 3DS and PS3, and I never really experience any slowdown or framerate that was distracting from my experience. Even the little music that it has, it's still good and sets the mood and ambience. Here is a track that will probably bring a tear to your eye:

Castlevania Lords of Shadow ~ Mirror of Fate The Expanded Soundtrack: Vertical Prison

then there's this excellent track

Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate Soundtrack - The Den

But from a die-hard Castlevania fan's perspective, it's most definitely a step down from Order of Ecclesia, which is a shame.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:24:33 PM by crisis »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
I read a review about this game in a magazine and the conclusion was pretty much spot: Mirror of Fate is recommended, except if you're fan of the series, in which case the drop in quality would just be too disappointing. Personally, I think it would have been far better if the game was just a little extra PSN appetiser for the LoS fans. By attempting to fill the shoes of the handhelds it became painfully clear the game didn't live up to its legacy.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »
I find it funny because the PS3 version is also very dark, reminds me of the darkness where the console version is frikken dark (which works for games like dead space) but the pc version you can see everything really clear

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Darkweaver

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
So how's the frame rate for those who have the 3DS version?  Is it that bad?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
It's god awful. I refused to play it once I saw how bad it was for myself.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »
It was so bad that I played the game without the 3D effect on.
I won't play it again.

anything